Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"If you've seen our SOP, we have a problem . . ."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If you've seen our SOP, we have a problem . . ."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
You should really consider posting this tale on the TSA blog. I'd love to see how they explain away these idiots.
They wouldn't.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:38 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
For Official Use Only - not classified, but sensitive information that should not be released to the general public. Basically, labeling something as FOUO exempts the document from general FOIA-release guidelines.
AFAIK there is no prohibition on the general public's discussing/disseminating such information (right?). Does the FOUO designation place any restrictions on how a member of the public (non-government employee) can use such information?

It's simply a way to mark documents as "interesting" for the Googlebot (as Steph3n has pointed out).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
PTravel, a tip of the hat for your exemplary coolness in the face of idiocy.

You should really consider posting this tale on the TSA blog. I'd love to see how they explain away these idiots.
Superguy responded:

They wouldn't.
A reference to this thread, with the quote about the SOP being a "national intelligence secret", appears on the blog.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
too funny (since it wasn't me).... you couldn't have made this up!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:08 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralfp
AFAIK there is no prohibition on the general public's discussing/disseminating such information (right?). Does the FOUO designation place any restrictions on how a member of the public (non-government employee) can use such information?

It's simply a way to mark documents as "interesting" for the Googlebot (as Steph3n has pointed out).
That's my understanding as well. A person leaking FOUO info could face some sort of penalty depending on the agency, but nothing like they could for classified info... and unlike classified info, once it's out into the public domain's hands, the people handling it have no legal requirement not to discuss or disseminate it further.

IANAL, but that's my reading of it. (You won't catch me disseminating FOUO info, anyway, if you were wondering.)

And so much junk gets marked FOUO that there have to be all sorts of violations with it all the time. I brought a huge bag into the office to shred in the FOUO bins the other day which I'd accumulated from several conferences and meetings. Agencies would mark their brochures and one-page handouts as such. So I had to actually handle it as such and shred it in a designated bin, vs. just trashing it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by exerda
That's my understanding as well. A person leaking FOUO info could face some sort of penalty depending on the agency, but nothing like they could for classified info... and unlike classified info, once it's out into the public domain's hands, the people handling it have no legal requirement not to discuss or disseminate it further.

IANAL, but that's my reading of it. (You won't catch me disseminating FOUO info, anyway, if you were wondering.)

And so much junk gets marked FOUO that there have to be all sorts of violations with it all the time. I brought a huge bag into the office to shred in the FOUO bins the other day which I'd accumulated from several conferences and meetings. Agencies would mark their brochures and one-page handouts as such. So I had to actually handle it as such and shred it in a designated bin, vs. just trashing it.
Tell them that PDF files get indexed online
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Interesting,I have discussed the TSA SOP in detail with many DHS/TSA supervisors and public affairs spokespeople in my role as a journalist.

It's OK that I told this info because I'm only a photographer and I don't write for my clients?

What a load of crap.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by exerda
I hear ya...I'm in a closed area and NO PAPER items go into the trash cans, only actual garbage--apple cores, kleenex, soda cans (oops, they go into the recycle bins).

ALL paper items (even your grocery list) go into the shred bins except classified documents which go right into the shredder that constantly overheats. The unclassified printer in here automatically stamps the top and bottom of every printed sheet with FOUO (yeah, even if I print this FT thread) and there's no way to disable that "feature" So the only way to print my grocery list without FOUO on it is to send it to the printer in the copy room next door.

OPSEC is one thing (which is why I never take any FOUO home even though it's allowed) but if Security had things their way, ALL printouts would go to their area for review and then we'd have to go pick them up. They're soooo concerned about proprietary and FOUO documents getting out that they forget my MP3 player holds 4Gb of anything, not just music.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by ralfp
No. The US currently does not have an "official secrets" act. In other countries, disseminating classified or even sensitive information is a crime, but not here, with one caveat - if you give it to a foreign national, you could be arrested for espionage or violating technology export licensing, depending on the content.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgolding
No. The US currently does not have an "official secrets" act. In other countries, disseminating classified or even sensitive information is a crime, but not here, with one caveat - if you give it to a foreign national, you could be arrested for espionage or violating technology export licensing, depending on the content.
One clarification: I was, at one point in time, the possessor of a Secret security clearance (above Confidential, but below Top Secret and the numerous classifications beyond that). As part of the vetting process by the FBI, I had to sign a document that said, essentially, I would be privy to classified information and, if I disclosed it without permission, would be subject to criminal penalties. I don't recall which section of the U.S. Code was cited (this was long before I had even thought about law school), but it was pretty clear that I'd be in a heap of trouble if I blabbed about what I knew. Of course, all of this was disclosed up front and I had the opportunity to decline the clearance if I didn't want to be subject to these restrictions.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PTravel
One clarification: I was, at one point in time, the possessor of a Secret security clearance (above Confidential, but below Top Secret and the numerous classifications beyond that). As part of the vetting process by the FBI, I had to sign a document that said, essentially, I would be privy to classified information and, if I disclosed it without permission, would be subject to criminal penalties. I don't recall which section of the U.S. Code was cited (this was long before I had even thought about law school), but it was pretty clear that I'd be in a heap of trouble if I blabbed about what I knew. Of course, all of this was disclosed up front and I had the opportunity to decline the clearance if I didn't want to be subject to these restrictions.
OSA-type legislation often enough applies to individuals who are not in the employ of the government and are not given such government security clearance as you mention.

Amongst others subjected to such legislation, include lawyers, publishers and journalists who have been forced to gag themselves as they don't want to end up in prison or separated from their assets/income for doing nothing more than publishing or publicly discussing (even in open court) "secret" information that came into their possession without even any wrongdoing on their part.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The difference is that you were granted access to classified information. Going to jail for a disclosure is something you agree to do if you disclose classified information to someone unauthorized to possess it.

The general public -- those who have never had a clearance of any kind -- are under no obligation to protect any classified they happen to find on a street corner, dumpster, or in a hotel room. Most people are responsible enough, or intimidated enough, to at least turn it over to the cops or to burn it in their fireplaces.

Every once in a while, the government will put the squeeze on a reporter to reveal who leaked some classified information. A conservative judge might even put them in jail until they reveal their source(s). But, they are on shaky legal ground and essentially create a martyr out of the reporter.

FOUO or the sacred SSI isn't classified information as defined in EO 12958. Someone who mishandles it could be made an example of. But, any person who finds it could drop it from airplanes
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The difference is that you were granted access to classified information. Going to jail for a disclosure is something you agree to do if you disclose classified information to someone unauthorized to possess it.

The general public -- those who have never had a clearance of any kind -- are under no obligation to protect any classified they happen to find on a street corner, dumpster, or in a hotel room. Most people are responsible enough, or intimidated enough, to at least turn it over to the cops or to burn it in their fireplaces.

Every once in a while, the government will put the squeeze on a reporter to reveal who leaked some classified information. A conservative judge might even put them in jail until they reveal their source(s). But, they are on shaky legal ground and essentially create a martyr out of the reporter.

FOUO or the sacred SSI isn't classified information as defined in EO 12958. Someone who mishandles it could be made an example of. But, any person who finds it could drop it from airplanes
Precisely.

For those countries where there is an OSA or legislation of OSA nature, even members of the general public can be punished for discussing "secret" information that "fell into their hands" without having engaged in any wrongdoing in acquiring the "secret" information. [The US is not such a country with OSA-type legislation applicable to the public, but OSA-type legislation applicable to the public is in place in a number of common law jurisdiction nations (e.g., the UK and other present and past Commonwealth nations) as well as in some countries that are code jurisdiction nations.]
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
The supervisor said, "'SOP' stands for 'Standard Operating Procedure.' If you've seen the actual SOP we have a problem. Our SOP is a national intelligence secret. Have you ever seen it?" I didn't laugh . . . really . . . and said, "No, I've never seen the actual SOP. I only know what I read on the TSA website and in the media." He said, "Okay, that's good. Otherwise, you wouldn't be going anywhere tonight."
He could have been referring to the fact that if you plainly admitted that you had unauthorized access to the S.O.P., that a dozen or so people would want to talk to you about it. Kind of a catch-22. You tell him and he does nothing, he's negligent. You tell him and he reports it, wheels get spinning over something that amounts to nothing.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
..... wheels get spinning over something that amounts to nothing.
..... nothing good at least?

Thank you for that accurate description of TSA activities and the activities of the bosses of DHS's boss in the run up to March 2003.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.