Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

what happens if you lose your passport on flt back to us

Old Jul 1, 08, 1:25 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Suppose you (a us citizen) are flying on an intl flt back to the us and you lose your passport on the plane (i've found lost drivers licenses on planes) what would happen when you reach the passport check agent? [i've seen people put their passports in the seat pocket...it is easy to forget to retreive it.]
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Well, frankly, you'd be in luck if you lost your passport on the way back while already on the plane. Sure beats the heck out of losing it DURING your time out of the country!

In all seriousness, I imagine you would show your photocopies of the ID page (which I'm assuming you, like all good travelers, carry in multiple locations), and you would be directed to secondary passport control. I'm sure it would take a while, but all that really matters is that they be able to pull up your passport record on the computer system (which they could do easily when they see the photocopies). Once they do that, you simply would fill out a lost passport form and be sent on to customs.

Now, if you had the misfortune of losing your passport while in a foreign country, it would be much more complicated. I'll leave it to others to explain the process of replacing a passport overseas.
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Oh, and let me say that when I'm flying back into the country, the last thing I do before landing is fill out my CBP declaration form, stick it in my passport, and then keep both physically in my hand. I then walk with the passport and form in my hand to the FIS inspection area.

I know that if I didn't have both in my hand, I would be stopping every 20 feet once I deplaned to make sure I still had them. Call me OC, but I would hate to have a long line of people behind me and suddenly realize that I left my passport in a seatback pocket!
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Suppose you (a us citizen) are flying on an intl flt back to the us and you lose your passport on the plane (i've found lost drivers licenses on planes) what would happen when you reach the passport check agent? [i've seen people put their passports in the seat pocket...it is easy to forget to retreive it.]
DHS-CBP employees would go about asking you to help them verify your identity and citizenship status and then they'd eventually let you in (presuming that if you were to have given them your passport they'd also have allowed you in).

The question is how long will that process of verification take.
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
You go straight to Gitmo!
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:45 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Call me OC, but I would hate to have a long line of people behind me and suddenly realize that I left my passport in a seatback pocket!
My personal policy is that on international flights, my passport stays on my body from checkin through passport control at arrival. My main reason for this is so that I can quickly process through immigration if the plane is evacuated. The USA, in particular, has a history of being rather rude to pax from evacuations who happen to not have their passports. (I also keep my cell phone on my body during takeoff and landing so I'll have it during an evacuation.)

But my policy has loss risks too. On the flight back from our honeymoon, my wife's passport accidentally dropped from her pocket onto the floor on her way to the lav. An FA thankfully found it and brought it to her, but the FA acted a bit snooty about the whole thing and used the same tone I would expect if she had dropped a baby on the floor and forgotten about it. ("Mam, what is the first thing you will do upon arrival to the US? Don't you think you'll need this?")

I'm sure ICE in this day and age could and likely would make a stink even if an American lost their passport, but in this era of electronic passports and databases, it seems kind of silly. Just look up the passport on the computer, compare photo and info, to a DL or other ID, fill out a lost-passport form (or wait a few days to see if it turns up), and be on your way.
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Well, frankly, you'd be in luck if you lost your passport on the way back while already on the plane. Sure beats the heck out of losing it DURING your time out of the country!

In all seriousness, I imagine you would show your photocopies of the ID page (which I'm assuming you, like all good travelers, carry in multiple locations), and you would be directed to secondary passport control. I'm sure it would take a while, but all that really matters is that they be able to pull up your passport record on the computer system (which they could do easily when they see the photocopies). Once they do that, you simply would fill out a lost passport form and be sent on to customs.

Now, if you had the misfortune of losing your passport while in a foreign country, it would be much more complicated. I'll leave it to others to explain the process of replacing a passport overseas.
When a colleague lost his passport in Europe, it actually wasn't all that painful to get a replacement after he spent some time at the embassy establishing his bona fides. I think a replacement took a couple of days, though.
Old Jul 1, 08, 3:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Not exactly on the plane but I lost one of my passports in an airport terminal once. For the USA I have two, one tourist (blue) and one official (maroon) passport. My official passport and some other papers and cards fell out of a "secure" zipped pocked of my briefcase, as it seemed after the fact, the bottom pocket stiching was old and frayed and gave way at some point in the terminal. I know it wasn't outside as I used it at security, then put it back in the pocket.

I was lucky and had my tourist passport and NATO ID and Military ID in my pocket with my wallet so no big issue getting into the US or Europe, but had it been a trip where I didn't have the backup I probably couldn't have gotten on the plane, as they usually check at the gate on international flights. talk about being screwed. My lesson learned, don't buy a cheap breifcase...

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 1, 08, 3:35 pm
Suspended

That's a trick used by some non citizens to seek asylum. If you, a citizen, lose your passport, you can still enter, but not as easily as would have with your passport.
Old Jul 1, 08, 6:05 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I've wandered across the land border into Mexico before inadvertently with NO ID whatsoever, of any kind. I usually empty my wallet of extra credit cards and such before making short trips into Mexico, and emptied it of one to many cards . CBP took it extremely well coming back. It was really no big deal at all, even having no ID whatsoever. The guy ask me enough questions to assure himself I was who I said I was and he sent me merrily on my way in less than 2 minutes.
Old Jul 1, 08, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
That's a trick used by some non citizens to seek asylum.
Huh? Without valid passport (and visa if required), how would one even be allowed on the plane in the first place?
Old Jul 1, 08, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by crhptic View Post
Huh? Without valid passport (and visa if required), how would one even be allowed on the plane in the first place?
They lose/destroy their passports after boarding the plane (or even slightly before boarding the flight).
Old Jul 1, 08, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
They lose/destroy their passports after boarding the plane (or even slightly before boarding the flight).
airlines check for passports and US visas for those flying on US-bound flights. if those people throw away their passports/US-visas, the US CBP will still be able to pull up those people's records with their fingerprints. this is because they are always fingerprinted while applying for US visas at US embassies/consulates overseas. the US consular offices have fingerprint readers just like those at US CBP booths at US airports

for those people coming from VWP countries, they don't need US visas, and unless they have previously entered the US(and got fingerprinted), the US CBP will not find their records.... but then again, people from those countries have no reasons to seek asylum in the first place! or I could be wrong... do UK or Irish citizens ever seek asylum in the USA?
Old Jul 1, 08, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Originally Posted by crhptic
You read about this every-so-often, especially (from my experience) on YYZ, YUL, and YVR flights. As assylum seaker uses a fake/ forged doc to get on the plane. While inflight, those docs are destroyed. Once the plane lands in Canada, the assylum seaker simply walks up to the Passport Officer and declares assylum. Under Canadian law, being that the assylum seaker is already in Canada, they have rights. Most of the time they are given paperwork to appear for a hearing and sent on their way. Some show up for the hearing, some don't.....
Old Jul 1, 08, 8:55 pm

Wink Tally-Ho

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
You go straight to Gitmo!
Nope. Not at all.

The majority of remaining cows are already in process of being moved from the dairy farm.

Since moving the herd to domestic US soil won't allow the farmers to be efficiently productive, (as there is too many price-controls on labor and supplies), the greener pastures (guaranteed to assure good milk production) are located in much more effective areas outside control of the Home Farm Bureau's subsidy audits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: