Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Today at the checkpoint, I encountered the unspeakable ...

Old Jun 30, 08, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I work for the TSA

In a word: Furries!

OMG ...

Seems they'd had a convention in town over the weekend, which they do periodically, according to my esteemed colleagues, who apparently have encountered them before.

(BTW, if you don't know what a "furry" is, I am not going to explain! However, I *will* recommend you don't Google an answer on a work-related computer.)

Actually, things went pretty smoothly ... I *did* have a male passenger wearing a floor-length faux fox tail clipped to the rear of his jeans begin SWISHING it seductively in my direction after he caught me giggling at it! But it was all in good fun ...

One of my co-workers was less amused upon being called to search a bag that contained a LITTER PAN ... and no, the passenger was NOT flying accompanied by a feline!!!!

Being OCD, I'm not sure all the rubber gloves and hand sanitizer in the world would have gotten me past THAT traumu ...
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:12 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
lol. Sorry. Had to.
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:16 pm

hahahahahahahaha!

Was the litter pan clean?
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:36 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
i did google it...that's bizarre! i agree with the OCD thing...i might've quit my job right then and there
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:54 pm

oneofthosepeople......have you ever mentioned which airport you work out of?
I heard on the news about a furrie convention going on this weekend.

Maybe I'll run into you one of these days
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:01 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmpWa1ZVAI

So glad I was NOT in Pittsburgh....
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
LOL! Thanks for the smile and laugh.

For those not wanting to google, CSI did a show on furrys a few years back. One of their better ones.

Mr. Zipadee had a co worker at his previous job who was a furry...made for interesting office conversation at times.
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

So glad I was NOT in Pittsburgh....
SHHHHHH! That's top-secret information, don'tcha-know!

NO, I did not ask whether the litter pan was clean! (AUGHHHH!) I believe I was distracted from my colleague's tale of woe by the necessity of determining how a West Virginian's 'spit cup' (water bottle half-full of murky green tobacco juice) ought to be handled in accordance with the new rules concerning liquids, gels and aerosols.

I tell ya, some days we ought to get combat pay!!!
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate View Post
I believe I was distracted from my colleague's tale of woe by the necessity of determining how a West Virginian's 'spit cup' (water bottle half-full of murky green tobacco juice) ought to be handled in accordance with the new rules concerning liquids, gels and aerosols.
I understood that the new rules on liquids would start today, but I haven't see any info. How is it to work?
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Well, the good news is that TSOs will have much more leeway in deciding how the rules are enforced!

Of course, that is also the bad news ... LOL
Old Jun 30, 08, 3:53 pm

Well, the good news is that TSOs will have much more leeway in deciding how the rules are enforced!

Of course, that is also the bad news ... LOL
Do we have a choice to have our water ETD now?
Old Jun 30, 08, 4:32 pm

Seems they'd had a convention in town over the weekend
Also heard that the Cadillac Escalade Owners Association is also having a convention that weekend... though in contrast to the Furries, they are said to be identified by smallish appendages on the observe. Maybe that's why their meetings are also closed to the public!

Old Jun 30, 08, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm, let's see how I can put this without violating official policies ...

The way I understand it is as follows:

The 3-1-1 rule still applies, but if you dispute the assertion that your water bottle actually contains a dangerous explosive the TSO may, at his or her discretion, run a test on your water and allow you to keep it if it passes.

Note the bolded part. Translation: don't count on getting to keep your oversized LGAs!

In an attempt to obfuscate an already murky rule, the TSA also added at the 11th hour (I think -- at least I don't recall seeing it before) some verbiage about allowing PAX to keep their (harmless) liquids providing they have a "compelling and extraordinary" need for them.

Once again, it's up to the individual TSO to define "compelling and extraordinary" as they see fit. (I can assure you that I personally will be finding many circumstances "compelling and extraordinary," such as, oh for instance, thirst!)

The important thing, IMO, is that we properly screen the liquids we allow through. Our primary concern ought to be security, and if something is harmless, we have no business taking it away (IMO)!

It remains to be seen whether this can be accomplished with existing staffing levels. I suspect the way the rule will play out 'in real life' is that some TSOs will screen liquids and allow them through as time permits, while others will continue to enforce 3-1-1. I fear that it's going to be very confusing to passengers, and may cause the agency even more bad press than it's already garnered. Time will tell, I guess!
Old Jun 30, 08, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Also heard that the Cadillac Escalade Owners Association is also having a convention that weekend... though in contrast to the Furries, they are said to be identified by smallish appendages
I guess we'll have to wait 'til we get the Millimeter Wave machine to find out whether that's true!

Old Jun 30, 08, 5:02 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Hmmm, let's see how I can put this without violating official policies ...

The way I understand it is as follows:

The 3-1-1 rule still applies, but if you dispute the assertion that your water bottle actually contains a dangerous explosive the TSO may, at his or her discretion, run a test on your water and allow you to keep it if it passes.

Note the bolded part. Translation: don't count on getting to keep your oversized LGAs!

In an attempt to obfuscate an already murky rule, the TSA also added at the 11th hour (I think -- at least I don't recall seeing it before) some verbiage about allowing PAX to keep their (harmless) liquids providing they have a "compelling and extraordinary" need for them.

Once again, it's up to the individual TSO to define "compelling and extraordinary" as they see fit. (I can assure you that I personally will be finding many circumstances "compelling and extraordinary," such as, oh for instance, thirst!)

The important thing, IMO, is that we properly screen the liquids we allow through. Our primary concern ought to be security, and if something is harmless, we have no business taking it away (IMO)!

It remains to be seen whether this can be accomplished with existing staffing levels. I suspect the way the rule will play out 'in real life' is that some TSOs will screen liquids and allow them through as time permits, while others will continue to enforce 3-1-1. I fear that it's going to be very confusing to passengers, and may cause the agency even more bad press than it's already garnered. Time will tell, I guess!
This sounds intriguing, but why haven't I seen any threads on it? This thread seems a strange place to learn about it.

Change the rules to liquids are *denied* only at supervisor discretion form "compelling and extraordinary circumstances" and start broad-based trace detection on liquid containers, and we might have the embryo of a sane policy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: