Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Today at the checkpoint, I encountered the unspeakable ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today at the checkpoint, I encountered the unspeakable ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by birdstrike
My SIL, an opera singer (no, not Cats, an actual opera) wore a skin-tight cat suit for one production.
If I understand this correctly, it only counts if wearing the cat suit turned her on.

Or perhaps if it was a real cat suit.

ew.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alief
If I understand this correctly, it only counts if wearing the cat suit turned her on.
If you are lucky, someday you will understand.

If not, you have great promise with the TSA.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:03 pm

Red face Ignorance is bliss

If you are lucky, someday you will understand.
Ew.
I think I'm going pull a Babs on this one. To paraphrase Barbara Bush, I'm not going to "waste my beautiful mind on something like that". Again, ew.

Reminds me of the joke about the difference between kinky and perverted. Kinky is when you use a feather. Perverted is when you use the whole chicken.

If not, you have great promise with the TSA.
Hey now, there is no reason to be mean.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alief
Reminds me of the joke about the difference between kinky and perverted. Kinky is when you use a feather. Perverted is when you use the whole chicken.
"missionary" encapsulates perverted. @:-)

What do you say we explore what a whole chicken can be used for?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:17 pm

What do you say we explore what a whole chicken can be used for?
Send a picture. (of you, not the chicken)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:26 am
KTW

The liquids reg has never been a set it stone not allowed. That is simply not possible. Too many people must have certain items. They might try and say no if you let them. If you do not they can't. No grey area.^
Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:25 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
Yeah. Which is kind of a shame, because keeping all that stuff-that-looks-like-an-explosive-charge-on-the-X-ray out of the bags really DOES increase the likelihood we'd find a real bomb, if one were present. I have no doubt our Red Team scores have improved since this policy was implemented ...

I wish the TSA had "sold" the public on this rationale, instead of the one that was employed (insisting that every passenger's water bottle might be a bomb, then disposing of them in the public trash container in the middle of the checkpoint).

After all, the public generally is pretty good at getting behind a cause. "Do the patriotic thing
I disagree in one sense; the war-on-water is the first example of three very bad things that keep people from getting on board even if TSA claims it is the "patriotic" thing:

1) banning a harmless items (for an extended period) because of TSA's apparent inability to tell them from threats. All previous bans were of perceived threat items (even the silly bans like small screwdrivers and nail files), not admitted harmless items. IMO an appropriate response to the 8/06 "threat" (which I still don't find very credible because of technical issues and the fact that the bad guys had neither bombs, passports/visas, nor tickets) would have been to implement 3-1-1 for a few weeks or a month, and use that time to develop a sane screening policy.

2) banning an entire state of matter. That's how you end up with ludicrous claims like a kid's juice box being considered a bomb.

3) banning an item that most people need and/or want to carry in their everyday lives and on an airplane. It's hard to get the population on board for that, but easy to get the population on board for bans of guns, large knives, and large bombs, because people generally don't need or want these objects on their person. (Banning the small penknives that many people carry is a lesser example of this problem; it's hard to accept that it is perfectly safe for me to carry such an object to work but not on a plane.)

-- help the TSA find bombs by leaving your water bottle at home!" may have been easier to "sell" than "We think your 6-year-old's juice box is a bomb!" which obviously is nonsense.
Or, place your water bottles in the plastic tray. Now I admit, we'd probably complain about such a policy in this forum, but it would be a whole lot less onerous than banning water.

Gee, think I can get promoted to Public Relations? Probably not, huh.
Not likely; too much sense.

If TSA PR really wanted to convince the public liquids were a threat, they needed a demo video not just of an unspecified boom. They need to show the liquids in water-bottle size containers (prove the size argument), show actual people willing to carry those liquids around as through a checkpoint (prove the components are stable enough to make it through), show the containers passing an ETD swab (prove TSA's claim that they couldn't detect the threats), show the assembly process (prove that it is something that can be done in an airport/plane without lab conditions and without arousing suspicion), and then show an explosion big enough to rip a large hole in a pressurized tube. IMO that they didn't do such a demo is almost proof that it is impossible and that the threat was mostly a farce.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After all, the public generally is pretty good at getting behind a cause. "Do the patriotic thing -- help the TSA find bombs by leaving your water bottle at home!" may have been easier to "sell" than "We think your 6-year-old's juice box is a bomb!" which obviously is nonsense.
there is not much that can annoy me faster than the idea that if we aren't full and eager participants in TSA's moronic and unnecessary security measures than to insinuate that we aren't being patriotic. (And I know you aren't making this argument.)

This is such unadulterated BS.

Folks, 9/11 did not happen because gate security was lax. It happened because of the airline policy regarding hijackings - which at that time, crews were instructed NOT to resist. The plain fact is that before 9/11 anyone could have successfully hijacked an airliner with nothing more than a ball point pen held to the throat of a crew member.

Folks, I work in government, and have for the past 32 years. In the national security arena most of that time. What has been going on for the last 7 years is a slow moving but real national tragedy. We are wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on unneccessary procedures and equipment, and while on occasion we actually do something right, those successes are overshadowed by the numerous failures that occur on an all too frequent basis.

The waste and false sense of security provided by TSA is one of the few places the public has access to this massive government failure. Yet there is no outrage, which frankly puzzles me.

Rant over. You may all return to your regularly scheduled program.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: I work for the TSA
Well, I wouldn't say NO outrage -- there is this forum, after all!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Is there anyone else trying to figure out what a "furry" is by reading the vague descriptions in this thread? This is getting to be very interesting. Ah, my sheltered suburban upbringing, coming back to bite me.

Mike
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: I work for the TSA
Mike,

Keep the brain bleach handy if you plan to Google it!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I wouldn't say NO outrage -- there is this forum, after all!
I know the context in what you said, and I'm not trying to attack you here, but there is a LOT more disdain of the TSA and individual screeners than just outlined in this forum.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:08 am
Cee

In a word: Furries!
LOL. At first I thought you were talking about really hairy people! I feel for ya! Keeps the job interesting tho...
Originally Posted by zipadee
For those not wanting to google, CSI did a show on furrys a few years back. One of their better ones.
That was a great episode!
Originally Posted by CLELOSER
at CLE only SUPERVISORS can determine if liquids will be allowed. In other words, DON"T EXPECT IT!!!!!
The TSO's and STSO's on my shift collectively decided how we were going to handle it at my CP. We advised the TSO's that they can use their discretion, and we (STSO's) will support them in their decisions. We talked about the 3.5 oz jars of crew, half full tubes of toothpaste, etc. For the most part we are going to stick to the 3-1-1 policy as it was, but we are going to use our common sense. If we make an exception, we have to inform the passenger of that, and that it may not get thru another CP somewhere else. We will see how it works out.

P.S
CLELOSER, didn't the White Sox kick your butt last night? CLELOSER is kinda fitting

Last edited by Cee; Jul 1, 2008 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:21 am

Last year, the furries shared a hotel with the Milwaukee Brewers.

As for what furries are, all anyone needs to know is that this exists. Enjoy your nightmares.

So, did the screener make them take their tails off? How would they sit in the airplane seat with it on?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:46 am

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 1:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.