FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   USA Today on TSA's new badges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/834995-usa-today-tsas-new-badges.html)

We Will Never Forget Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt (Post 9938752)
On the Metro today on the Blue Line/Franconia (direction of DCA), I saw a TSO in the new royal blue uniform, wearing his badge, while grooving on his mp3 player, clutching a McDonalds bag, with his Smartrip card in the same hand.

Was he on duty? Or should he have not been wearing the badge? Are the ambiguities in the current policy?

I know this sounds like a riddle, but it is an earnest question. :)

Regardless of the regulations, per my previous post, he shouldn't have been displaying the uniform.

I have a feeling a new policy will have to be written in blood. :td:

birdstrike Jun 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 9938760)
Well, at least you can feel secure about that.

Being a FlyerTalk reader counts for something. :)

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 9938760)
I can see the point of x-raying the shoes, after the Richard Reid incident, they'd look pretty stupid by not responding somehow.

That is exactly why they are performing their jobs so poorly.

Americans are the most risk-adverse yet innumerate people on the planet.

We're spending billions on shoes because of Richard Reid, yet ignoring waist carried explosives which the next "Reid" would certainly choose to use.

The real question to ask is how many "Reids" are out there. Obviously not many since all airport screening, both pre- and post- 9/11, is not going to stop another attempt using something other than shoes. @:-)

We Will Never Forget Jun 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike (Post 9938810)
We're spending billions on shoes because of Richard Reid, yet ignoring waist carried explosives which the next "Reid" would certainly choose to use.

I think that's what the puffers and BDO's were designed to do. We can only guess at the effectiveness, though.

birdstrike Jun 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 9938865)
I think that's what the puffers and BDO's were designed to do. We can only guess at the effectiveness, though.

The puffers were fine, until the TSA decided otherwise.

The BDOs are, and have always been, a laughingstock for the agency. Most of those people can barely speak English, forchristssake. :td:

This entire thing is a goat rope. There are no terrorists who can implement another 9/11. If there were they would attack something other than commercial aircraft. The agency created to prevent another 9/11 has failed every operational test given them since that date.

Do we continue the Keystone Cops approach, or do we cut our losses and go back to being the best country and economy on the planet?

Flaflyer Jun 26, 2008 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt (Post 9938752)
On the Metro today on the Blue Line/Franconia (direction of DCA), I saw a TSO in the new royal blue uniform, wearing his badge, while grooving on his mp3 player, clutching a McDonalds bag, with his Smartrip card in the same hand.
Was he on duty? Or should he have not been wearing the badge? Are the ambiguities in the current policy?

All gummint stuff is online. Fascinating reading into the a.n.*.l mindset of the beltway bureaucracy. http://www.afge.org/Documents/2007_07_11_TSA1100732.pdf

Has this policy been changed recently with the new uniforms?

“OFFICE OF HUMAN CAPITAL 6/21/2007
TSA MANAGEMENT DIRECTIVE No. 1100.73-2
TSO DRESS AND APPEARANCE RESPONSIBILITIES

SUMMARY OF CHANGES: The directive title has changed; the title “Officer” has been added to refer to employees in the positions of TSO, LTSO and STSO;

A. TSA Officers will wear a standardized uniform as a readily identifiable symbol of the security mission and role of the TSA Officer. The uniform is designed to enhance employee pride, to project the professional image of the organization, and to instill trust and confidence in the traveling public.

D. Officers may wear their uniform while commuting to and from work without an over-garment. Officers should not wear their TSA uniform while participating in activities outside of work. However, brief stops that are a part of the normal work commute are permitted while in uniform.

(1) Examples of permitted stops while in uniform include dropping off and picking up children from day care or school, or stopping to buy a cup of coffee.

(2) Examples of activities not permitted while in uniform include, but are not limited to, grocery or other shopping, going out to dinner, or meeting friends for a drink after work.

G. Storage of Uniforms in Vehicles: All TSA employees must ensure the safekeeping of sensitive accountable property. Employees must not store any TSA uniforms, patches, credentials, or other identification media in their personal vehicle in accordance with Operations Directive, OD-400-25-1, Prohibition Against the Storage of Uniforms and Identification Media in Vehicles.”

Remember TSO’s, your job is to make airports safe, but the airport employee parking lot is NOT a safe place to leave a spare clean shirt. :rolleyes: OTOH, how do you pick up several shirts from the cleaners? Or save gas by changing into civvies to shop on your way home? :confused:

We Will Never Forget Jun 26, 2008 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 9939981)
D. Officers may wear their uniform while commuting to and from work without an over-garment. Officers should not wear their TSA uniform while participating in activities outside of work. However, brief stops that are a part of the normal work commute are permitted while in uniform.

Thank you.

Spiff Jun 26, 2008 7:34 am

All gummint stuff is online. Fascinating reading into the a.n.*.l mindset of the beltway bureaucracy. http://www.afge.org/Documents/2007_07_11_TSA1100732.pdf

A. TSA Officers will wear a standardized uniform as a readily identifiable symbol of the security mission and role of the TSA Officer. The uniform is designed to enhance employee pride, to project the professional image of the organization, and to instill trust and confidence in the traveling public.

What symbol is that? The Hammer and Sickle?

This agency is a professional disgrace and the traveling public already has no confidence in this sick, un-American joke of an agency.

(1) Examples of permitted stops while in uniform include dropping off and picking up children from day care or school, or stopping to buy a cup of coffee.

Smart. Let your kids' teachers know you work for the Communist Party. They'll have to attend extra civics and ethics classes.

(2) Examples of activities not permitted while in uniform include, but are not limited to, grocery or other shopping, going out to dinner, or meeting friends for a drink after work.

That's really more for your safety, Comrade. ;)

G. Storage of Uniforms in Vehicles: All TSA employees must ensure the safekeeping of sensitive accountable property. Employees must not store any TSA uniforms, patches, credentials, or other identification media in their personal vehicle in accordance with Operations Directive, OD-400-25-1, Prohibition Against the Storage of Uniforms and Identification Media in Vehicles.”

Bahaha. I can have one of these stupid new uniforms in less than 24 hours from a Singapore tailor or one of thousands of other sources. This disgrace of an agency doesn't realize just how bloody stupid its management really is.

Flaflyer Jun 26, 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 9940942)

That's really more for your safety, Comrade. ;)

You mean (2) should be rewritten in plain English? :D

(2) We are so embarrassed by the TSA's public image that uniforms can only be worn at home or at the airport. It is not safe to be out in public alone with your uniform broadcasting your STASI affiliation. If you wear your uniform in a dark alley and get a "retaliatory full manual patdown" from a gang Platinum Elite Patriots in three piece suits, remember: "we told you so". This Week's Laundry Tip from Kip: Cold water is used to remove blood stains so you can have that "TSA standard neat clean appearance" for your next shift. :rolleyes:

Wally Bird Jun 26, 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by birdstrike (Post 9938659)
If I were in your position, I would feel frustrated as well. However, since the TSA is quite happy to misrepresent the truth and is prone to self aggrandizement, I have no way of knowing if the information you have seen is real, or if it would meet my criteria of what it would take to justify the current level attempted screening.

I don't think the intel to which law dawg alludes comes from the TSA; or the DHS for that matter.

Not that the other acronym agencies have a particularly good track record recently. Hell, scrub 'recently' insert period.

mikeef Jun 26, 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by birdstrike (Post 9939063)
Do we continue the Keystone Cops approach, or do we cut our losses and go back to being the best country and economy on the planet?

We continue the Keystone Cops approach. Cutting our losses forces one of two things to happen. Either A) The government says, "We've spent the past seven years scaring the crap out of you and coming up with justifications for the TSA. Now we're going to do something different," or B) The government says, "Oops, we made a mistake. Turns out that the TSA does nothing to make us more secure and, in fact, probably makes us less secure by diverting resources from real issues."

There is a 0% chance that option A will happen. There is a slightly lower chance that option B will happen.

An article last week said that their new blue uniforms with the fake police badges would solve the moral problems.
This was one of the comments from a reader in the USA Today article. I will refrain from commenting on the delicious irony of the word choice mistake.

Mike

whatsinyourbag Jun 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 9931222)
Not kidding at all.

TSA employees will never be officers as far as many of us are concerned.

But your concern doesn't matter, so get over it!

Spiff Jun 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag (Post 9950877)

Well, if you wonder why people refer to TSA employees by a lot of nouns other than 'officer', look no further than this thread.

birdstrike Jun 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag (Post 9950877)

LOL. There are tears in my eyes at how pathetic this is. :D

"Officers". :eek:

Yes, "Officer", I'd like two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun.

Is your "moral" enhanced?

bnarayan1511 Jun 27, 2008 10:52 pm

Newspaper headline says it all...

TSA's new policelike badges a sore point with real cops

Enough said!

Priceless :D

bnarayan1511 Jun 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 9941289)
You mean (2) should be rewritten in plain English? :D

(2) We are so embarrassed by the TSA's public image that uniforms can only be worn at home or at the airport. It is not safe to be out in public alone with your uniform broadcasting your STASI affiliation. If you wear your uniform in a dark alley and get a "retaliatory full manual patdown" from a gang Platinum Elite Patriots in three piece suits, remember: "we told you so". This Week's Laundry Tip from Kip: Cold water is used to remove blood stains so you can have that "TSA standard neat clean appearance" for your next shift. :rolleyes:

:D Made me spit out my drink - thank you very much!!!!