Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

My Tel Aviv airport security experience last week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Tel Aviv airport security experience last week

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:02 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mikeef, I don't know why you might think this kind of lengthy interogation of obvious non-threats is acceptable. You may have found it brief, but we, WASP Presbyterians, were asked only a handful of questions (to which my husband to my astonishment replied untruthfully as he would rather die than park in a no-parking zone and who cares if they know he speaks Spanish), strolled into the terminal, picked up our BP's and were through the entire process in less than 15 minutes.

But because your wife speaks Hebrew, a difficult accomplishment for which she should be commended, she gets "the treatment"? Since then I have learned to "read" Hebrew and Arabic so I should plan on several hours of bullying even though I am the exact same harmless person? To my mind, it's an utter fantasy that these interrogations serve any security function. After all, they nabbed, incarcerated and deported the harmless academic Norman Finkelstein just last week. We are supposed to be impressed with this fine security?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LLM
mikeef, I don't know why you might think this kind of lengthy interogation of obvious non-threats is acceptable. You may have found it brief, but we, WASP Presbyterians, were asked only a handful of questions (to which my husband to my astonishment replied untruthfully as he would rather die than park in a no-parking zone and who cares if they know he speaks Spanish), strolled into the terminal, picked up our BP's and were through the entire process in less than 15 minutes.

But because your wife speaks Hebrew, a difficult accomplishment for which she should be commended, she gets "the treatment"? Since then I have learned to "read" Hebrew and Arabic so I should plan on several hours of bullying even though I am the exact same harmless person? To my mind, it's an utter fantasy that these interrogations serve any security function. After all, they nabbed, incarcerated and deported the harmless academic Norman Finkelstein just last week. We are supposed to be impressed with this fine security?
Do yourself and everyone else a favor then do not go to Israel or thru Israel.

I didnt like the way I was questioned at AMS and since then have avoided going there or thru there. You should do the same and put TLV on your do not go list. Its very simple, if you dont like how they do things dont go.

I dont understnad why people are so against the likes of a Bill O'Reily or Rush , they are simply innocent and harmless talk show hosts.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:45 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Do yourself and everyone else a favor then do not go to Israel or thru Israel.

I didnt like the way I was questioned at AMS and since then have avoided going there or thru there. You should do the same and put TLV on your do not go list. Its very simple, if you dont like how they do things dont go.

I dont understnad why people are so against the likes of a Bill O'Reily or Rush , they are simply innocent and harmless talk show hosts.
Are you functioning as mikeef's secretary? This is about his experience and I had a question for him. Your post doesn't even address it - just how does interrogating Hebrew speakers protect a plane from being blown up?

And how did talk show hosts get in here? I nominate this post for non sequitur of the year.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LLM
Are you functioning as mikeef's secretary? This is about his experience and I had a question for him. Your post doesn't even address it - just how does interrogating Hebrew speakers protect a plane from being blown up?

And how did talk show hosts get in here? I nominate this post for non sequitur of the year.
1 you took it OT with mentioning N Finkelstein

2 there are over a million Israelis who speak Hebrew and arent Jewish, so simply being able to speak Hebrew is nothing. Didnt Israel today deport to Lebanon an Israeli-Lebananese spy who spoke and knows Hebrew very well,as does any number of PA Officals. Dont forget a few hundred thousand non-Jewish Russians, a number whom are Neo-Nazis and speak Hebrew having been raised in Israel

when you stop acting like the drunken sailors from both sides of the aisle in Wash,DC who always find a way to insert their Pork projects into any pending bill, in your case finding a way to rant about N Finkelstein or anything that goes against ultra liberals which have nothing to do with the topic at hand. You should expect replies.

You basically said you didnt care for the way the Israelis do things. Thats fine, no different then how I dont dont care for the way The Dutch do things. Thusly I stay away from AMS, and thusly my suggestion that you stay away from TLV. Alot of us dont care for how the TSA does things but if we want to fly within or out of the US we have to put up with it. I dont have to fly to or thru AMS and you dont have to fly to or thru TLV
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by LLM
To my mind, it's an utter fantasy that these interrogations serve any security function. After all, they nabbed, incarcerated and deported the harmless academic Norman Finkelstein just last week.
1. While there's of course the danger of the "magic rock" problem (my magic rock is designed to keep away bears, and it works, I've never been mauled by a bear), it does seem to me that, given the well-expressed and coordinated hostility Israel faces, the fact that a hijacker has never gotten through TLV gives some indication that the interrogations do work. Again, we can never prove a negative, but there's certainly an implication there.

2. Finkelstein wasn't viewed as a threat to the aircraft, but rather denied entry into Israel (he was put on a flight back to Amsterdam), at least in part because of his recent contacts with Hezbollah officials. That being said, do I think they should have let him in? Yes. Again, though, this isn't a case of Israeli aviation security, but rather their equivalent of Border Patrol making an admit/don't admit decision.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I've heard that 75% of the security at TLV is done even before you enter the airport, using Interpol database checks, etc.. All the questions are meant to trip you up or allow the security to see your body language reacting to the questions.

However, they outright profile/classify by race: those with Hebrew last names, those with Arab last names, and those that they can't determine.

I heard guns are confiscated at TLV regularly. However, there no fines levied.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:44 am

Having flown in and out of TLV several times, the basic distinction I would make between thier security and the actions of the TSA is I felt I was treated with dignity throughout the process in TLV, regardless of the length of time, or level of screening that was performed. And I have never "misplaced" an item from my carryon or checked baggage on any departing flights that I took.

Just treat the customer with some diginity and you can accomplish alot with little indignation.

Stay the curse!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We pretty much knew going in what the security issues were going to be, so nothing was really a surprise to us. In fact, the only surprise was that it took a lot less time than I thought it would.

Personally, we knew that we were obvious non-threats. The Israelis don't. Unfortunately, overall threats to Israel are very real, and the whole experience was handled very professionally. I actually enjoyed it, chalking it up to cultural learning.

I'm not exactly sure why they focused on my wife. Hebrew is actually her first language. She grew up in Philadelphia, but her parents (who are also native born Americans) spoke only Hebrew to her at home. She learned English by going to nursery school.

One thing that we thought about was that they may have been trying to determine if she was actually Israeli and had tried to evade army duty. We couldn't think of any other reason that they would have "singled her out." The whole interview process was very conversational. It did not feel in the slightest bit accusatory.

One issue with having a wife who speaks Hebrew: Our Ketubah (the Jewish marriage contract) is written in Aramaic, which is similar enough to Hebrew that my wife can read and understand it. I, alas, cannot. So every so often, she'll point out the spot where she claims that it says I have to buy her new clothes and jewelry on demand, take her for sushi once per week, etc. Bottom line: Don't ever sign anything you can't read.

Mike

Originally Posted by LLM

Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by PTravel

Seriously, though, I think the primary difference between Israeli and U.S. security is that the former focuses on eliminating those who might be threats, whereas the latter is focused (in theory) on eliminating those implements that might by used by those who are threats.
The different feeling of
1. You are wrong until you are proven innocent, and
2. You are innocent until proven wrong
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by KDHawaii
What was her maiden name? Due to security, I refuse to answer the question so I"ll take 5th amendment.
When was the Bill of Rights applicable to a foreign government?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
When was the Bill of Rights applicable to a foreign government?
Exactly. If an officer in another country asks me a question in the airport, I won't be giving them a reason to give me a full body search - no way!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
the fact that a hijacker has never gotten through TLV gives some indication that the interrogations do work.
Sometimes.
Mon. Nov. 18 2002 11:45 PM ET

The Israeli government said Monday that an Israeli Arab who unsuccessfully tried to storm the cockpit of an El Al flight en route to Turkey on Sunday was attempting a "terror attack."

Tawfiq Fukra, 23, was wrestled to the floor by security guards before he reached the flight deck. He was reportedly in possession of a small knife but there are conflicting reports as to whether he was brandishing the weapon when the incident began as the plane approached Istanbul airport.

The Israeli statement said Fukra told the guards holding him, "Today is the day I die, and I do this because they killed (my) brothers.''
Less than 24 hours after Tawfiq Fukra attempted to hijack El Al Tel Aviv-Istanbul Flight 581 in midair with the help of a penknife, Israel’s airport authority gave itself a clean bill of health. The initial probe had established, said the authority’s spokesman, that the 23-year old Israeli Arab from the Galilee village of Baina Najidat, west of Tiberias, had been screened by security officers according to the strictest criteria. Therefore, no faults could be attributed to pre-flight security procedures.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'll edit to "successful hijacker." Again, without any sort of control group, it's hard to really determine the success rate, but there's at least circumstantial evidence that the process does work.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I'll edit to "successful hijacker." Again, without any sort of control group, it's hard to really determine the success rate, but there's at least circumstantial evidence that the process does work.
That's OK, the TLV website makes the same statement with the appropriate umm.. qualification. ISTM that on this occasion the interview and the screening certainly failed but perhaps the kind of 'no faults' sophistry is one aspect of Israeli security the TSA has adopted .
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Despite some odd tangential comments here and there, this thread has managed to remain tracked. Please keep it that way. Thanks.

-----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.