Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can you say, "Air marshal" at the airport in the US?

Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

A fellow FTer was FAMed today at an airport in the US. The FAM decided he wanted a seat on this FTer's flight, and since there were no more seats, the FTer was de-boarded for, "security reasons." The FTer was rebooked, and the next available flight was scheduled to leave 5 or 6 hours after the originally scheduled flight. A couple of hours before the new departure, the FTer decided that enough was enough. At the ticket counter the FTer asked for a refund as it was a trip in vein. The agent gave the FTer a hard time and finally the FTer said something like, "Look -- I know the air marshal needed my seat. I'm not complaining about that. I've wasted enough time. I just need a refund so I can go home." At that point the agent scolded the FTer for mentioning the FAM and threatened to call the cops. After some discussion, the agent did. The cops were reasonable, but reminded the FTer that not to utter words, "Air marshal" at the airport. That sounds like BS to me. I can understand how saying "Bomb" could be interpreted as a threat, but "Air marshal" ????
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by xyzzy
The cops were reasonable, but reminded the FTer that not to utter words, "Air marshal" at the airport. That sounds like BS to me. I can understand how saying "Bomb" could be interpreted as a threat, but "Air marshal" ????
Well; if the 4th amendment is suspended at the airport, why should the 1st amendment be acceptable?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
hah, I would take that alot more seriously did the air marshals not do a pretty damn good job on outing themselves.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by 601
hah, I would take that alot more seriously did the air marshals not do a pretty damn good job on outing themselves.
I agree. To clarify, the incident with the agent was at the ticket counter several hours later.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I doubt most of these incidents, especially this new one where cops say not to use the words "air marshal". What possible purpose could there be for making such a claim? That's like saying you can't use the words "Secret Service" or "FBI" in any government building. Absolute nonsense. Sounds like a fairy tale.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Is it not obvious that all members of the executive branch, from top to bottom, have absolutely no idea why they are doing what they are doing? Not saying "FAM" at the airport is like not taking the lord's name in vain. It's faith-based security and, as with most religions, the zealousness of the practitioner is inversely proportional to their knowledge of that to which they are attesting.

Last edited by sinanju; Jun 1, 2008 at 9:27 pm
Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:08 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I doubt most of these incidents, especially this new one where cops say not to use the words "air marshal". What possible purpose could there be for making such a claim? That's like saying you can't use the words "Secret Service" or "FBI" in any government building. Absolute nonsense. Sounds like a fairy tale.
I like this fairy tale world where government agents always act in rationally and in accordance with the law.

Why would the cop tell someone not to say "air marshal"? Did the cop want to be involved? Probably not. He probably did what he thought would defuse the situation, to assuage the airline agent. Perhaps as part of some sort of solidarity with another LEO by protecting the FAM from public vilification (though I doubt that).
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Mischievious passengers that have scant respect for american security agencies or the government they represent have been known to extend their hand toward and thank FAMs for "protecting us." The response has generally been positive. However, by accepting the faux gratitude, the FAM has just outed himself.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:06 am

What if he said "I knew the air cop needed my seat." instead of FAM?

What if he said "the guy travelling in first class with two cell phones on his belt"? (since NOBODY but a gov rep travels with two cell phones)?

I could go on... Travelling in and out of DCA all the time makes it childs play to spot FAMs/Feds. Never lost my seat to one of them though.

Was your friend on a turn around MR or something else? I wonder why the GA picked him to lose a seat.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Law enforcement agencies and airlines' employees making up stuff -- fairy tale laws included -- is not news.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by AArlington
(since NOBODY but a gov rep travels with two cell phones)?
Uh, no—despite usual childhood hero fantasies I am not now, nor have I ever been, a LEO. Yet I often travel with two cellphones. Private-sector technical jobs other than mine may require this also.

However, I have encountered both pax and "security" personnel who seem unable to understand the distinction between saying "I have a bomb in my carry-on" and "I believe the intent of the framers in defining the Fourth Amendment was to ensure the government is held to due process."

Apparently, saying the second statement aloud is inherently seditious if done while shuffling through a line to dump my laptop and flipflops in a bin.

IANAL either, so feel free to enlighten my clumsy and incomplete interpretation.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Gee, don't like the words "air marshal"? How about "Involuntary Denied Boarding"?

I hope the OP's associate reports this incident to the DOT and files complaints with the airline and his/her elected representatives.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AArlington
What if he said "the guy travelling in first class with two cell phones on his belt"? (since NOBODY but a gov rep travels with two cell phones)?
I've had to carry 2 cellphones for work reasons. One personal, one work. Of course, one former boss solved that one by giving out my personal number to the clients...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:31 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Never thought of it that way

Originally Posted by sinanju
Is it not obvious that all members of the executive branch, from top to bottom, have absolutely no idea why they are doing what they are doing? Not saying "FAM" at the airport is like not taking the lord's name in vain. It's faith-based security and, as with most religions, the zealousness of the practitioner is inversely proportional to their knowledge of that to which they are attesting.
But I think you just might have something here.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
A fellow FTer was FAMed today at an airport in the US. The FAM decided he wanted a seat on this FTer's flight, and since there were no more seats, the FTer was de-boarded for, "security reasons." The FTer was rebooked, and the next available flight was scheduled to leave 5 or 6 hours after the originally scheduled flight. A couple of hours before the new departure, the FTer decided that enough was enough. At the ticket counter the FTer asked for a refund as it was a trip in vein. The agent gave the FTer a hard time and finally the FTer said something like, "Look -- I know the air marshal needed my seat. I'm not complaining about that. I've wasted enough time. I just need a refund so I can go home." At that point the agent scolded the FTer for mentioning the FAM and threatened to call the cops. After some discussion, the agent did. The cops were reasonable, but reminded the FTer that not to utter words, "Air marshal" at the airport. That sounds like BS to me. I can understand how saying "Bomb" could be interpreted as a threat, but "Air marshal" ????
Was the fellow FTer provided with "Involuntary Denied Boarding" compensation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.