Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is a Carton of Cigarettes Allowed in Carry-on Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a Carton of Cigarettes Allowed in Carry-on Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by cludden
as of right now...how many cartons can I bring with me from CA to NY

any difference between carry on and checked?
Unless you are driving in a truckload and get pulled over by NY police and don't have a manifest, they will never know (or care). Not like there are arriving customs checks for interstate flights (yet).

Carry on will reduce the risk of damage. Checking will increase the risk of a TSO or baggage handler contracting lung cancer from your stolen cigarettes.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Yup. There's a big liquor store in Covington, KY, right at the end of the bridge from Cincinnati.
The Party Source. It's in Newport. There used to be one in Covington, too, but I think it closed.

In any event, you are correct. The costs are significantly different between Ohio and Kentucky for booze. The Ohio Patrol used to stake out the Party Source stores during the holidays and radio to their troopers just across the bridge to stop cars w/Ohio tags headed back into the state. They did it during high-volume times and occasionally at other times through the year. They would then ticket/arrest/issue summons for bringing too much booze into the state.

Not sure they're still doing it.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I bring a couple of cartons with me to Hawaii two or three times a year in my carry on. No one has ever even batted an eyelash at me about this. There is no law that I know of about carrying ciggs from state to state.

The only thing the TSA ever asked me about it was if I planned on smoking a lot while away. I asked him if he had ever bought ciggs in Hawaii and told him how much they cost over there and that I was going to be there for three weeks. He laughed and I was on my way.

You will be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.