Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Experiences crossing between Canada/USA on I-89?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm going to be driving up to Montreal in a couple weeks. Anyone know what customs will be like going up there/coming back?
Old May 13, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Without a day + time... it's only a guess.

JP
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm going to be driving up to Montreal in a couple weeks. Anyone know what customs will be like going up there/coming back?
Old May 13, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA
In a couple weeks do you mean Memorial Day weekend for the US? If so it will probably be a longer wait than usual. What day/time do you plan on crossing? Do you have to cross at I-89? Depending on where you are starting in Vermont you could cross at I-91 which usually has less of a wait and could easily get to Montreal faster than crossing at I-89 if there is a very long wait.

I always check the following websites for border wait times to decide which crossing I will take, Canadian Border Wait Times :

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

For your return trip, US Border Wait Times :

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt

I-89 = St-Armand/Philipsburg; St. Armand, QC / Highgate Springs, VT
I-91 = Rock Island; Stanstead, QC / Derby Line, VT

For ease of crossing, it is preferred that you have your passport. Also have your hotel reservation handy, or be sure to know the exact name and address of the friend/relative that you will be staying with.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Of course! I'll cross fairly early (7 AM ish) on Saturday, May 24 and come back in the morning of the 26th.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not wedded to I-89. It's just the direct route from Burlington, where I'll be staying the night before. I could do 87 too, I suppose. Given that I'll be starting in Burlington and am picking up a friend at the Montreal airport around 9 AM Saturday, what do you recommend?

Originally Posted by Lineman
In a couple weeks do you mean Memorial Day weekend for the US? If so it will probably be a longer wait than usual. What day/time do you plan on crossing? Do you have to cross at I-89? Depending on where you are starting in Vermont you could cross at I-91 which usually has less of a wait and could easily get to Montreal faster than crossing at I-89 if there is a very long wait.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA
7AM Saturday should be fine. Usually it is Friday night that is the worst. Check the border wait time page and if you are coming from Burlington, either I-89 or I-87 are your best choices.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm not wedded to I-89. It's just the direct route from Burlington, where I'll be staying the night before. I could do 87 too, I suppose. Given that I'll be starting in Burlington and am picking up a friend at the Montreal airport around 9 AM Saturday, what do you recommend?
Old May 13, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE
The day of travel you should check the Canadian Governemnt wap portal located at wap.gc.ca

You can do this from your cell phone. Then choose "services" --> "Border wait times" --> "quebec" --> and then choose "St-Armand"

This data is updated about every hour.

There is an alternate route to suggest the crosses at Morses line that I use from time to time if the wait is +1hr. Use google maps to located if needed.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah, thanks!

I'd had a nice PM conversation too, and I'm going to follow that advice and just cross at Rt. 276 in Rouses Point, NY.

Originally Posted by fly-yul
The day of travel you should check the Canadian Governemnt wap portal located at wap.gc.ca

You can do this from your cell phone. Then choose "services" --> "Border wait times" --> "quebec" --> and then choose "St-Armand"

This data is updated about every hour.

There is an alternate route to suggest the crosses at Morses line that I use from time to time if the wait is +1hr. Use google maps to located if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.