Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Residence is such a fishy concept. I have a Canadian friend who lists his sister's address and lives in hotels all around the world, going from client to client.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cpx
The problem with those, is you run the risk of them rifling through the pages looking for your US Visa, then screaming "police, police!!!" when they can't find it - then off you go to immigration lockup until someone can vouch for your real citizenship.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:57 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The problem with those, is you run the risk of them rifling through the pages looking for your US Visa, then screaming "police, police!!!" when they can't find it - then off you go to immigration lockup until someone can vouch for your real citizenship.
They also offer drivers license and some backup IDs.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
Hell yeah.
Are you legitimizing the OP vote twice in an election? I realize the OP said he's not gonna flip-flop on the licenses, but what exactly is your comment referring to.. voting twice in the same election or voicing your approval on id laundering - either way -

Having said that, I don't think what the OP has done is id laundering - he seems to have fulfilled HI DMV procedures to procure a license, the HI DMV has cancelled his FL license; seems alright (although I'm sure I would be corrected) to me - as long as he doesn't claim having a valid FL license hereon.

Am I a resident of FL? Yes. Am I am resident of HI? Yes.
I don't know, it seems like there must be some definition somewhere what each state considers a "resident"... like.. "stay x number of days of an yr in the state w/proof of residence" bla bla... What abt taxes though - if you consider yourself a resident of both FL and HI, what do you do come April 15th? It's totally within your rights to tell me to bugger off; just wondering out loud.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
I don't know, it seems like there must be some definition somewhere what each state considers a "resident"... like.. "stay x number of days of an yr in the state w/proof of residence" bla bla... What abt taxes though - if you consider yourself a resident of both FL and HI, what do you do come April 15th? It's totally within your rights to tell me to bugger off; just wondering out loud.
Sure, every state has a definition, but they a) sometimes conflict; b) are somewhat nebulous; and c) have a lot to do with the intent of the person. An individual can only be a resident of a single state at any moment in time.

Residency is not easy and states sometimes fight among themselves about who is a resident--all in the pursuit of tax dollars.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
[QUOTE=bocastephen;9685028]

One potential hazard - the license has the state flag of Hawai'i prominently displayed across the top band. Of course, the state flag of Hawai'i is comprised partly of the Union Jack, along with stripes which don't match the US flag colors. I am now taking bets on how long it will take for a TSA screener to reject the license on the grounds that it's 'foreign'.
QUOTE]

My macho-man brother-in-law takes a lot of ribbing when he travels as his HI license has a very prominent rainbow on it.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's a valid question. FL does not charge a state income tax, but HI does. However, my work is performed in FL, and that is my residence for tax purposes.

HI wouldn't have a problem with my residency situation, because they issue licenses to non state residents. The only potentially grouchy entity here is FL - but they've been trying to chase down folks who refuse to change licenses or tags for years, ever since the vehicle import tax fiasco that was ruled un-Constitutional. Years ago, when bringing a car into FL from another state, you had to pay a hefty tax. People didn't want to pay the tax, so they left their old tags on. Until the law was invalidated, it got so bad that cops would often roam the parking lots of office buildings and parks looking for the same out of state cars there day after day, then try and nab the driver for failing to register in FL.

Could I be held in violation of FL law? Perhaps. Can they prove anything? Doubtful. Any risk? Not really. I've lived in FL since '87 and only been pulled over twice. I updated the license info with my insurance company already and they're OK with it. Truth be told, I'm more concerned with my insurance being OK with it than FL. If I get pulled over and a cop asks me why I have a HI DL, I'm just going to say I live both places, and that is my primary. He can't verify it either way.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I find it kind of funny that you'd do all this work just for TSA... :-P
Old May 6, 2008, 3:59 pm

HI wouldn't have a problem with my residency situation, because they issue licenses to non state residents.
Are you trying to say you're not a HI resident... 'caus that clashes w/what you said earlier:

Am I a resident of FL? Yes. Am I a resident of HI? Yes.
Seems like for tax purposes you're going to claim FL residency but if you get pulled over you'll be a HI resident visiting mainland. soitgoes says above you can be a resident of only one state at any given time. If you do find yourself in a situation in the future where the govt authorities peek at your records in detail, it won't take them long to figure out you have proof of residence in FL and you earn your paycheck in FL (hence proving your FL residency), thereby getting you possibly in more trouble if you'd told them that HI is your primary.

Just watching out for you, I mean no sarcasm or ill-intention.... I just think it may not be worth your effort and flying no-id would be much easier...
Old May 6, 2008, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369
I find it kind of funny that you'd do all this work just for TSA... :-P
that's what i was thinking....^

but, to each his own
Old May 6, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soitgoes says above you can be a resident of only one state at any given time.
I think I misspoke. What I meant to say was that you can only have one domicile at any one time. It is possible to have multiple residencies. These laws--with different states and different definitions--due conflict sometimes.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You can always lose your HI license, get a duplicate, return to FL and move back, turning in one HI license while obtaining another valid FL license. Your 'lost' HI license will be look fine to the TSA for years to come.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I think I misspoke.
Nah... only Hillary Clinton reserves that right... unless you are her

Anyways. Good luck to the OP in his endeavour to stay "off-the-grid". Hitting the sack now.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Whoa, this could be huge for expats. States are generally more aggressive about continuing to tax you if you move out of the country as opposed to another state; renewing your drivers license can be seen as an element of "intent to return" to that state, which a lot of states use as justification to continue taxing you.

My North Carolina license expires on my birthday next year, and my Bermuda motorcycle license isn't valid in the US... Now I know what my birthday present to myself will be!
Old May 6, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by asnovici
Have your license "lost" and replaced. Use your "lost" license to obtain another state's license. The numbers on both licenses are the same (at least in AZ), so its completely doable (and done by several people I know, since AZ licenses dont expire until you turn 65 years old).
I don't know that this will work. If they cancel the number, they cancel the number. If you're at traffic stop, and they say your license if invalid, you're up the creek.

And on AZ drivers licenses, the old ones expire when you're 60, not 65. New ones are until you're 65. I've had mine for 14 years so far, and don't expect to get a new one until they pry my fingers off the old one, or I lose it.

I just love having the TSA squinting at my license, and I'm sure they'll start saying it's not valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.