Can I Take Pictures Of TSA Employees?

Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Note: I can sell prints of any image I create WITHOUT a model release.
Very correct and this is backed by a court case not to long ago. http://blogs.photopreneur.com/5-nigh...hy-court-cases see case #4.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSO_PHL_Gate_D
Yes, you never want to administer justice. Being forced to defend yourself though is just as fun. Especially defending yourself against people pushing cameras in your face and touching you with it.

As for taking pix, yes you can photo anything as long as it does not hinder the TSO perfroming his or her task, or give away SSi.
If it's visible in public, it's not secret, is it?

You can only use the photo of said person if it is newsworthy, and if it is not, a release must be signed.
Wrong. If you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy and the photo can be used for all purposes except those prescribed by law. Some states have right-of-publicity laws that preclude commercial appropriate of likeness. However, there is absolutely no, "newsworthy" requirement.

Nothing personal, and I don't know you, but why do so many TSOs makes statements about the law that are simply wrong.

By the way, before this debate heads any further, I am an intellectual property lawyer -- I know the law in this regard.

So snap away if you want a picture of the Natzi who ruined the begining of your trip. I am sure you can go home and complain to all of your neighbors and show them exactly who you are speaking of. They probably cringe at the fact you need to gripe about yet another thing in your miserable life, but yet smile and politely agree with you in hopes you will go away sooner then later.
Funny that you compare TSOs to "Natzis." I have read about too many actions by TSOs (not all, but enough) that can only be compared to Brown Shirts in jack boots (they weren't LEOs either, you know).

If the threat of public exposure in video and photographs is what is needed to keep TSOs from violating the Constitution, I'm all in favor of it.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:46 pm

Sounds like we need to have a checkpoint photography week. I can host the photos on my blog.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.