More threatening than TSA screeners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
More threatening than TSA screeners

Spraying my airspace with toxins!

Really a shame, as Air NZ is wonderful in most other respects...

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest...12204/14bd09f1
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Did you actually read the article. You would have read that not Air NZ is the one who came up with the great idea of spraying stuff. So don't blame them. It is the New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Officer who screwed up. He could let the woman off the plane.

Anyway I think every plane arriving from overseas has to be fumigated. New Zealand has a very delicate environment. That's why they have very strict rules to keep non-local animals and insects of the islands.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I'll admit, I haven't read the article -- but aircraft bug sprayings:

I was always under the impression ANZ (as well as Qantas) "deep treated" their aircraft. The "deep treatment" (spraying of long acting pesticides when no pax are on-board) is then good for an extended period of time.

I've never had to endure a spraying on ANZ when flying their B744 long-haul fleet into AKL. I've never been sprayed on a Qantas flight in recent years. Last time it happened on QF was back in 1994 when they flew LAX-NAN-SYD and we got sprayed in NAN.

When flying other carriers into AU, it is common for the cabin to be fumigated during decent (unless they have a deep treated aircraft they commonly use on the route).
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Last time I remember being sprayed in an A/C was upon departure from Viet Nam.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Italy98
Last time I remember being sprayed in an A/C was upon departure from Viet Nam.
I've been sprayed in the aircraft a couple of times in the late 80's/early 90's going to/from various Caribbean islands to/from Mainland US.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:41 am

My sister moved to NZ in 1999. Her horse was in quarantine in Australia for six months before she could bring him in. They are very strict.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
While spraying used to be quite common, I've not seen it done in *years*. This includes not seeing it on recent trips to Australia and New Zealand. I recall reading/hearing that the spraying was found to be harmful to people and not very effective against potential pests.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by caspritz78
Did you actually read the article. You would have read that not Air NZ is the one who came up with the great idea of spraying stuff. So don't blame them. It is the New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Officer who screwed up. He could let the woman off the plane.

Anyway I think every plane arriving from overseas has to be fumigated. New Zealand has a very delicate environment. That's why they have very strict rules to keep non-local animals and insects of the islands.
Yes I read the story. If Air NZ had not screwed up (and properly treated its plane on a regular schedule) then the passengers would not have been subjected to horrific toxins being injected into their air.

As for the rule, it is dumber than the TSA i.d. check. Every nation has a "delicate environment" to use your term. I would wager Hawaii has far more exotic plants, and they never spray my planes while I'm inside.

I really enjoyed my trip to NZ and the people there are wonderful, but I do find it quite hypocritical for them to pretend to be environmentally conscious and have a "nuclear free zone" while at the same time subjecting humans to noxious fumes due to paranioia over a few insects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.