FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Foreign Drivers Licence OK With TSA For Flying? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/806119-foreign-drivers-licence-ok-tsa-flying.html)

chrissxb Mar 28, 2008 7:02 am

Foreign Drivers Licence OK With TSA For Flying?

I lost my passport yesterday. :(

I have a lost-ID-report from the Police Department. The consulate will issue a new PP on monday in Atlanta. meanwhile I have to fly DCA-LGA JFK-IAD IAD ATL. Will TSA accept a foreign DL (together with the lost-ID-police-report) ?
anyone has any experience? How bad are the stations I am flying thru?
thanks for your answers :)

sbm12 Mar 28, 2008 7:20 am

I spent 20 minutes at JFK trying to explain to them that I was allowed to fly without showing ID once, but I don't know how typical that is.

Show your foreign DL. Worst case is that you get asked if you have anything else, and then you get a secondary. Shouldn't be too bad.

Or choose to show nothing, but be ready to spend more time dealing with them.

moeve Mar 28, 2008 7:56 am

I take it you lots it within the US right?? Due to recent events I would think you should be ok. Especially since you have the police report to confirm your lost documents. Have you already let the Embassy know your documents have been lost/stolen etc.

Gosh you are in for a real heck of miserable time - since you often have to fly to the US. Expect to get SSSSed in future from now on. Loosing a passport is not a pleasant thing to have happen these days. Good luck with that mess.

Cee Mar 28, 2008 8:37 am

Originally Posted by moeve (Post 9480017)
...Gosh you are in for a real heck of miserable time - since you often have to fly to the US. Expect to get SSSSed in future from now on. Loosing a passport is not a pleasant thing to have happen these days. Good luck with that mess.

This should not result in you getting SSSS'd in the future...and any government issued ID is supposed to be allowed. Any government, any government issued ID. If the ticket checker doesn't know that, you may get SSSS'd at this time, but I don't think it will affect your future travels.

essxjay Mar 28, 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by moeve (Post 9480017)
Gosh you are in for a real heck of miserable time - since you often have to fly to the US. Expect to get SSSSed in future from now on. Loosing a passport is not a pleasant thing to have happen these days. Good luck with that mess.

Gosh, right little ray of sunshine aren't we. :p

Seriously, there's nil to no basis for concluding that the OP is doomed to a lifetime of SSSS. Let's try not to awfulize a simple lost passport issue.

Cholula Mar 28, 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 9480321)
Gosh, right little ray of sunshine aren't we. :p

:D

Chris, hope things improve rapidly this week. It's been a tough one thus far for you.

See you in Reims in a couple weeks. :)

Wally Bird Mar 28, 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9479861)
Or choose to show nothing, but be ready to spend more time dealing with them.

Or indeed less time. The "secondary" line at many airports moves considerably faster than the others.

sbm12 Mar 28, 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 9480419)
Or indeed less time. The "secondary" line at many airports moves considerably faster than the others.

At DCA and JFK they are not dedicated lines. I do not know about IAD.

It all depends on the airport.

holtju2 Mar 28, 2008 10:07 am

Foreign DL's are ok with TSA. They have a huge book that has pictures of various foreign government issued DL's/ID's.

donsig Mar 28, 2008 10:51 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 9480722)
Foreign DL's are ok with TSA. They have a huge book that has pictures of various foreign government issued DL's/ID's.

...my understanding is that the "big book" also has pictures of:
1. The 5 yr. old Tewowist on the No Fly list
2. A MacBook.
3. A Nipple Ring Bomb.

Wally Bird Mar 28, 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9480682)
It all depends on the airport.

Is there an echo in here ?

MapleLeaf Mar 28, 2008 11:53 am

I fly with my Canadian DL all the time; I refuse to give them documents that they can use to track me in the U.S. - never once had a problem using it.

polonius Mar 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by donsig (Post 9480974)
...my understanding is that the "big book" also has pictures of:
1. The 5 yr. old Tewowist on the No Fly list
2. A MacBook.
3. A Nipple Ring Bomb.

Idiots and Morons.

^hysterical

Gatwick Alan Mar 28, 2008 3:38 pm

I once used my Gatwick Airside pass to see what would happen and they accepted it, no problem.

MikeMpls Mar 29, 2008 11:43 am

SSSS generally is faster and more cordial than it used to be. I would use the foreign DL and keep the police report handy & your fingers crossed. Do you have a photocopy of the passport? I always stuff one in my wallet & one in each suitcase.