Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Nipple rings cause security issue at airport (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 27, 08, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Dia

L.A. lawyer claims TSA agents forced woman to remove body jewelry. From MSNBC. Hmmm now what would they do if it were a Prince Albert?
Old Mar 27, 08, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by bzbdewd View Post
L.A. lawyer claims TSA agents forced woman to remove body jewelry. From MSNBC. Hmmm now what would they do if it were a Prince Albert?
I saw this blogged, and knew FT would be talking about it. It's sort of ridiculous, although I wonder how large/what gauge rings we're talking about here.

Then again, problems with underwires and metal detectors go back several years - I don't know about any of our local FT women, but my wife wears a sports bra when she flies because for that reason.

One point of note from the article is:
Baird noted, however, that people wear wedding and other rings through security without tripping alarms.
Aren't those usually gold or some other non-ferrous metal. What about for body piercings? Aren't many of them some kind of steel alloy?
Old Mar 27, 08, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nkedel View Post
Aren't [wedding rings] usually gold or some other non-ferrous metal. What about for body piercings? Aren't many of them some kind of steel alloy?
Yes and yes. A heavy gage body piercing of a reasonable length could trip the alarm. But I do not see the need for removing it. If they can HHMD and/or otherwise identify underwires for a bra there is no need to be so ridiculous about this. The alarm has to be "resolved" not removed.

Also, did the TSO just happen to have a pair of pliers lying around? That seems almost as strange.
Old Mar 27, 08, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Saw it on snafu: http://snafu-ed.blogspot.com/2008/03...ple-rings.html

Not entirely clear but it seems the WTMD didn't alarm but a wand did.
Allred also indicated that while the first piercing was removed easily, the second was not, and a pair of pliers was required. At the same time, while she was behind cover, Hamlin could hear a growing number of male TSA agents snickering outside.
Gotta love those professionals !
Old Mar 27, 08, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm not sure what's worse in this story: the woman's nipple rings tripping the wand, or that she had to use a pair of pliers to get one out.
Old Mar 27, 08, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam

they get me every time.
Old Mar 27, 08, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
"....Allred indicated during the press conference that TSA regulations indicate that standard procedure for piercings is a pat-down, with the OPTION of removal of the piercings instead of the pat-down. Of course, Hamlin wasn't informed of this option, and was instructed that she had to remove the piercings if she wanted to fly..."

Here we go again...idiots and morons given unlimited authority with no knowledge of the rules or regs...and now we taxpayers will end up paying for another TSA screw up.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 2, 08 at 11:57 am Reason: Gratuitous TSA slam removed
Old Mar 27, 08, 5:07 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Thumbs up Gloria Allred versus the TSA!!!

Has Chertoff met his match?

(Throws popcorn in the microwave and gets out a bowl)

This is gonna be great!

http://www.tmz.com/2008/03/27/allred...-with-the-tsa/

(Video of a recreation of the "alleged" event in above link)
Old Mar 27, 08, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Apparently, it was a wand. Those are designed to be that sensitive.
Also, I understand the rule that the alarm has to be "removed", not "resolved" as some other poster is suggesting. How would you know that there isn't something else tripping the buzzer, otherwise ?

That said, the episode is yet another factual piece of evidence that a majority of TSA staffers check in their brains before heading to work: if you really have to end up in the news for enforcing the piercing removal rule, pick a hot 21-year old and DO offer the pat-down option!
Old Mar 27, 08, 6:33 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by bzbdewd View Post
I have no piercings and am not a big fan of them but it's the person's right to have them if they choose. I think the fine TSA folks went a bit too far and shouldn't have demanded the objects be removed once they had identified the source. I hope some heads will roll over this.

TSA abuse should never go unreported when something like this happens. Although the government doesn't care about your rights, they have to keep up the charade in order to keep the sheep from realizing as much. TSA and DHS should be taught to have some healthy respect for travelers and their rights.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by viking407rob; Mar 27, 08 at 6:39 pm
Old Mar 27, 08, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Having met Gloria Allred all I can say is look out TSA. She is the most media savy barracuda I have ever had the privilege of meeting
Old Mar 27, 08, 7:32 pm

I really think this is a case of he said she said. I work at a Fl airport that sees more than its share of body piercings and have never heard of anything as stupid as this. Most people that are pierced have no qualms about just flashing you including the prince albert guys. They are very proud of their piercings. Sounds like Gloria and her client are trying to rake in some cash. I just wish everyone would contact their Senator and other reps to have the liquid ban overturned like the lighters. It was a knee jerk reaction and needs to be done away with.
Old Mar 27, 08, 7:38 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Having met Gloria Allred all I can say is look out TSA. She is the most media savy barracuda I have ever had the privilege of meeting
Sure she is--everyone, from the opposing counsel to the general public tune out as soon as they hear her name. Or snicker.
Old Mar 27, 08, 7:46 pm

Location: Austin. AA EXP; WN CP; AS MVP; Starwood Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
I was going to say "worthless without pics" then I followed the link to the story.

Wish I hadn't.
Old Mar 27, 08, 7:47 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
I wonder if this is going to show up on the TSA blog as another "artful concealment" confiscation?

Search this Thread