Is the 30 minute rule back at DCA?

Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
Is the 30 minute rule back at DCA?

I just got off UA484 (DEN-DCA) this afternoon. The captain announced before takeoff that the TSA requires all passengers to remain seated 30 minutes prior to landing at DCA, and then made announcements at 1 hour and 45 mins prior that everybody had better take care of business because we were nearing the half hour mark. Sure enough, the FA's enforced it! On the way out the door, I told the closest FA that TSA had abandoned this policy like 2 years ago. He replied, "I guess it's back". I think they're FOS. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this might not be only a UA-related issue, I am going to move this to the Travel Safety/Security Forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
One additional data point:

I flew from DEN to DCA in October (on that flight IIRC), and there was no mention of this that I recall.

Of course that was a while ago.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not back. There is a number at the TSA that you can call to report the crew. Check out this thread from the CO forum for more details.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Here's the TSA press release announcing that the rule is lifted:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ease_0607.shtm

That's the only thing that came up doing a search on "30-minute rule" on the TSA site. Also, Wikipedia seems to think it's still lifted, for whatever that's worth.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Please turn in any employee who attempts to invoke this ridiculous and rescinded rule. Contact the FAA (bogus security announcement), the TSA (unfairly blaming useless agency for non-existent rule) and the airline for employing idiots who cannot keep up with current rules or make up stupid rules out of a heightened sense of paranoia and stupidity.

Invoking a bogus "security" rule should be a felony, and any pilot who does so should have his/her airman's card revoked. He/she is obviously mentally unfit to fly.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, FortFun, I emailed UA CS with details, but did not rat them out to TSA, since I figured this could be handled internally - didn't ask for compensation, either, since I really didn't have to pee. My guess is that this was a crew that didn't fly into DCA frequently, and was staffed by Easter holiday fill-ins.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Please turn in any employee who attempts to invoke this ridiculous and rescinded rule. Contact the FAA (bogus security announcement), the TSA (unfairly blaming useless agency for non-existent rule) and the airline for employing idiots who cannot keep up with current rules or make up stupid rules out of a heightened sense of paranoia and stupidity.

Invoking a bogus "security" rule should be a felony, and any pilot who does so should have his/her airman's card revoked. He/she is obviously mentally unfit to fly.
Spiff,
I usually side with your rants, but I don't think this inconvenience rises to the level of a felony. I do look forward to hearing what the spinners at UA CS have to say, though.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by haruspex
Spiff,
I usually side with your rants, but I don't think this inconvenience rises to the level of a felony. I do look forward to hearing what the spinners at UA CS have to say, though.
Sorry, but too many people have had their civil liberties and occasionally civil rights destroyed in the name of bogus "security". It's time to make BS security 'rules' stated by a person in power/authority to be a criminal offense. A criminal offense that violates civil liberties and civil rights should be a felony. It's the only way these jackasses are going to learn.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by haruspex
Thanks, FortFun, I emailed UA CS with details, but did not rat them out to TSA, since I figured this could be handled internally - didn't ask for compensation, either, since I really didn't have to pee. My guess is that this was a crew that didn't fly into DCA frequently, and was staffed by Easter holiday fill-ins.
It's cool of you to try and do the low-key thing but in my experience complaints about pilots from passengers (and FAs) rarely ever make it to them...the chief pilots aren't really concerned with what the rest of us think about how a pilot is doing his/her job.

I'd still call the TSA and let them know; not because it will get them into any real trouble...but because a Chief Pilot will pay a little more attention to a note from the TSA than from "some passenger."
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:54 am

Passengers making false threats about bombs and hijackings are routinely charged with serious crimes, usually felonies. Pilots and other airline/airport employees in positions of authority who make false statements with regard to bogus security measures should be similarly charged.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I highly doubt the TSA is going to care about this, at least not in a sense they need to correct anything.

At CO, we have a professional presence from corporate on this site, who has taken care of these issues directly - and for what it's worth, CO does consider this rule rescinded and finds no value in enforcing it after the fact.

Over at UA (or AA and DL for that matter), I doubt you'll find a sympathetic ear - any attempt to call them out on it will result in a canned mail response praising security measures while declining to comment on security matters.

Just my opinion...
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Interesting twist on this flying ORD-DCA today. FirstOfficer didnt come out and say the 30 minute rule but he talking his way all around it. At 30 minutes out the seatbelt light came on and FAs were making sure all were seated...
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Interesting twist on this flying ORD-DCA today. FirstOfficer didnt come out and say the 30 minute rule but he talking his way all around it. At 30 minutes out the seatbelt light came on and FAs were making sure all were seated...
The rule is that you are to remain seated while the seatbelt light is on. If they turn the light on at 30 minutes out then you're stuck with it. The DL shuttle - my most common flight to/from DCA - generally turns the light off pretty early in the flight and leave it off most the time. If another crew chooses not to, so be it, but enforcing it as a strict 30 minute rule is wrong.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
The rule is that you are to remain seated while the seatbelt light is on. If they turn the light on at 30 minutes out then you're stuck with it. The DL shuttle - my most common flight to/from DCA - generally turns the light off pretty early in the flight and leave it off most the time. If another crew chooses not to, so be it, but enforcing it as a strict 30 minute rule is wrong.
The seatbelt sign pretty much means nada on US-based carriers. Everyone on my 9.75-hr US flight from FCO to PHL was in violation of the "rule" since the seatbelt sign never went off during the entire flight. Granted, the flight was a little rougher than most, but if the pilots are too lazy to figure out when it can be turned on and off on an entire TATL flight, it's hard to determine when the seatbelt sign is a "rule" or a "suggestion".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.