Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the 30 minute rule back at DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The seatbelt sign pretty much means nada on US-based carriers.
True, except it is supposed to mean something on flights to/from DCA. That was the compromise reached when the 30 minute rule was suspended.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The seatbelt sign pretty much means nada on US-based carriers. Everyone on my 9.75-hr US flight from FCO to PHL was in violation of the "rule" since the seatbelt sign never went off during the entire flight. Granted, the flight was a little rougher than most, but if the pilots are too lazy to figure out when it can be turned on and off on an entire TATL flight, it's hard to determine when the seatbelt sign is a "rule" or a "suggestion".
I believe that the AA crews are the worst offenders of the seat belt sign. One microsecond after any kind of bump and it is on. I think it is on a 30-minute minimum hold after that. The crews on UA are much more reasonable, as are just about any foreign carrier.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
True, except it is supposed to mean something on flights to/from DCA. That was the compromise reached when the 30 minute rule was suspended.
Source ? Compromise between whom ?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Spiff
Sorry, but too many people have had their civil liberties and occasionally civil rights destroyed in the name of bogus "security". It's time to make BS security 'rules' stated by a person in power/authority to be a criminal offense. A criminal offense that violates civil liberties and civil rights should be a felony. It's the only way these jackasses are going to learn.
Agreed -- I remember once an FA telling me I "could not use" the first-class toilets (I was in economy) because "federal law" prohibited it. "Federal law" actually requires the airline to allow all passengers to use any available toilet. Petty yes, but your point is the crucial one -- as long as there are no penalties for falsely claiming the existence of laws, rules and regulations, FAs, TSOs and others will continue to invent "Federal laws" on the spot whenever it suits them.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
followup to original post

Okay, here's the response I got from UA. Aside from the fact that Ms. Sharma needs work on her grammar, this is, as a previous poster predicted, a canned response. I will now complain to TSA, with no expectations that anything will come of it.

Dear Haruspex,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. As a
Premier Member, you are one of our most valued customers.
Understandably, I am especially concerned about your recent experience
and I regret for any inconveniences.

First and foremost, please accept my apologies that we did not serve you
better and appreciate that you have shared your experience with us.
Your experience concerns me because we should provide professional
service as it our intent to employ persons that have the qualities to
provide excellent customer service with accurate information, even when
under stress or time pressure. So, be assured that I have forward your
information to our Flight Operations management for their internal use.

Your feedback - whether positive or negative - makes a difference. It
lets us know what we need to consider in order to earn your future
friendship and support.

Regards,

Priyanka Sharma
United Airlines Customer Relations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.