Search

Welcome to the TSOs who post here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Welcome to the TSOs who post here

I've noticed that, over the past couple of weeks, there has been a sudden acceleration in the number of TSOs who post here. Not only that, but there has been an increase in the level of dialog on this forum (not that it wasn't an easy comp). Just wanted to say welcome aboard and that we appreciate the honest answers and your efforts on FT. I've already seen a couple of threads in which the TSOs have gone to supervisors for answers to our questions, since we sure as hell aren't going to get them at the blog.

Don't take things personally and don't be strangers.

Mike
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
I've noticed that, over the past couple of weeks, there has been a sudden acceleration in the number of TSOs who post here. Not only that, but there has been an increase in the level of dialog on this forum (not that it wasn't an easy comp). Just wanted to say welcome aboard and that we appreciate the honest answers and your efforts on FT. I've already seen a couple of threads in which the TSOs have gone to supervisors for answers to our questions, since we sure as hell aren't going to get them at the blog.

Don't take things personally and don't be strangers.

Mike
The attitude displayed by newbies here is certainly refreshing. Thank you all!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:59 am

No problem.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by doober
The attitude displayed by newbies here is certainly refreshing. Thank you all!
Ditto. I too welcome all of the TSO's that have joined lately. It's interesting to see things from your perspective.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Even though I do not like the TSA matter of fact I refuse to even speak to them with the exception of 1 or 2 that I know. However I would also like to welcome you folks on board & as far as you go on a personal level I'm sure I would like you also. Just understand it is your agency.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Welcome TSA employees. Hopefully all of you qualified employees will be working in a similar capacity for private security firms in the near future.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: Just my Own Thoughts
One Day we all will be set free from the TSA ^
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i too want to welcome* the front line tsa folks and as other have posted, please don't take what we say here personally. it's directed at tsa corporate for being inept, mismanaged and otherwise simply dysfunctional. i hope you find information here which you can (as some of your f/t counterparts already have) bring up at meetings and/or make suggestions as it's you folks in the trenches that take all the $hit and have your "incident" end up on the news because of one or two morons who couldn't turn a page in a book because they don't know the definition of the word "book" let alone the word "page".

ok, now that i've trashed and badmouthed your employer and the bad apples, again, welcome and please stick around (and of course, contribute )

*and if any of your are sfo based and work the ua terminal, name your favorite tootsie-op flavor
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Welcome TSA employees. Hopefully all of you qualified employees will be working in a similar capacity for private security firms in the near future.
Hopefully in my case, it will be the same firm that provides security at the local amusement park ... their starting salary is $1 an hour more than the TSA's!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
Hopefully in my case, it will be the same firm that provides security at the local amusement park ... their starting salary is $1 an hour more than the TSA's!

The money is always better in the private sector, unless you are high enough in the government (think Kippie, Chertoff, Cheney etc.) to embezzle and extort. Some private security agencies pay fairly well. I actually considered leaving a job in engineering to work as a emergency response officer (guard) in a government contract facility. The money was comparable and it sounded exciting. I didn't take the job because the benefits and time off weren't so great. It would be great to see the good and decent TSA employees working for a firm that actually cares who they hire and what kind of job they do. As a traveler I know how great the frustration can be when dealing with such people. I can't imagine having to work with some of the clowns who are on the TSA payroll. I'm sure the good and decent officers resent this type more than a passenger ever dreamed. It would truly suck having to work beside some assjack who probably lied on their application and was a drug dealer prior to their TSA employment.... Sigh.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:47 pm
Cee

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have enjoyed my time on here. I know I am not going to change anyones mind about the TSA, but I will say that the conversations on here have been very eductional for me. I have taken your complaints to heart, and have started to make changes at my checkpoint that I hope will help. Sadly though, I do not expect to remain an airport screener forever. I am currently working on a career change, but still within the government. If I get it, I gotta go to Dallas for 6 weeks for training. Never been to Dallas...

Today, I had a stupid screener launch some guys laptop off the end of the conveyor belt. I was horrified! I went over to the guy, apologized, helped him carry his stuff over to a table so he could boot up the computer and make sure nothing was broken. He was very nice, he said nothing was broken, and declined a claim form. My superior witnessed this, and he handed me a piece of paper and said "Go get that guys info." Through gritted teeth, I said "Why, he doesn't want a claim form, what do we need his info for?" I did not want to approach this man and ask for any info, because in my mind he could have been SPIFF or that DRAT guy who thinks I am the scum on his shoe, and would tell me and my little yellow post-it note, where to go! But my supe told me that this quy has two years to file a claim, so I have to file a shortened incident report just to have it on record. All I needed was his name. No address, no M.I , no other identifing factors. So I agreed to get his name. Fortunately, it wasn't SPIFF, or that DRAT guy who thinks I am the crud on his shoe. It was just a very nice man who called me Sweetie a couple of times, and thanked me for being professional.

See...not all you frequent flyers are bad!

Last edited by Cee; Mar 7, 2008 at 9:53 pm Reason: added a thought
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cee

Today, I had a stupid screener launch some guys laptop off the end of the conveyor belt. I was horrified! I went over to the guy, apologized, helped him carry his stuff over to a table so he could boot up the computer and make sure nothing was broken. He was very nice, he said nothing was broken, and declined a claim form. My superior witnessed this, and he handed me a piece of paper and said "Go get that guys info." Through gritted teeth, I said "Why, he doesn't want a claim form, what do we need his info for?"
Hi Cee, glad to have you on flyer talk! It's funny that you mention the "stupid screener" who launched the laptop off the end of the belt. I posted earlier under a different topic regarding a similar incident. The OP on that topic was worried that the X-Ray might harm his/her computer. After being reassured by several members that it wouldn't, I advised her to be careful of it "falling" off the end of the belt. I have actually seen a bin containing a laptop go flying from the belt. This was due to the abundance of empty bins that were left to accumulate and create a log jam. The screener who was apparently in charge of cycling the bins was standing idly by and just watched. He never offered to help the passenger pick up his computer and even when told to do so, took his time clearing the bins. Thank goodness it wasn't MY laptop cause heaven knows I was angry enough just seeing this happen to some other poor guy. I can only imagine how helpless he felt seeing his computer hitting the floor as he was trying to pass through the metal detector. In case you were wondering, I was kind enough to help him retrieve his belongings. The whole time we were under the "watchful eye" of the screeners who never offered to help or apologize. They stood and stared at us like we were conspiring against them or something.

Last edited by viking407rob; Mar 8, 2008 at 1:20 am
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:36 pm
Cee

VikingRob
I have seen that happen too many times! It is all about the screeners not paying attention! A couple weeks ago we had another stupid screener almost launch a bag off the end of the belt onto a BABY that was in a stroller at the end of the belt. I was LIVID! A few years ago, another stupid screener launched a laptop belonging to a local well known news anchorman. His laptop broke, but it never made the news.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Cee
VikingRob
I have seen that happen too many times! It is all about the screeners not paying attention! A couple weeks ago we had another stupid screener almost launch a bag off the end of the belt onto a BABY that was in a stroller at the end of the belt. I was LIVID! A few years ago, another stupid screener launched a laptop belonging to a local well known news anchorman. His laptop broke, but it never made the news.

The incident I witnessed was more a case of the screener simply not caring. He stood by and watched while the bins piled up. This happened in MEM if memory serves me. Those folks don't seem to care if the place is on fire as long as no one "mouths off" to them.

I'm glad to see that some TSA employees do care. I wish your attitude of caring would spread to the rest of the agency. Sadly, these incidents will continue as long as TSA hires screeners who look like they just walked out of a crack house.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:53 am

I too want to welcome the TSO's aboard. Perhaps you will be able to help me understand some of the incidents I have experienced as well as observed.

Most recently I was departing FLL, and on the line there is a sign that says remove shoes, which I did. Upon arriving at the "puffer" the TSA chastised me for removing my shoes and said I should be wearing them for the screening process. I asked why there was a sign on the line to the contrary, and got a curt reply. Upon exiting the puffer the next agent told me to remove my shoes to be screened through the next machine. I again inquired as to why one takes them off to put them on to take them off. Again, not a very clear explanation. Once through the second machine, I began to dress again, and was advised by a TSA agent that I can't put my shoes on at the end of the conveyor but must go to, I suppose a Homeland Security approved shoe reinstallation area, about 10 feet further away. Be aware that at no time did any "bells or whistles" go off and my screening process was the same for the person in front of me as well as behind me. The only difference is I was following the instructions posted.

I suppose one must take responsibility for their actions and potential consequences of being literate, and trying to follow posted instructions.

Upon the completion of this process I asked to speak to a supervisor, and reiterated the above to him. He was unaware of the sign on the line. As I have often suggested to people in my line of work, you must put yourself in the "shoes" of the other person (no play on words intended) to better understand their perspective. Do the agent's go through security incognito as a matter of standard practice, to better understand the experience?

Still on the subject of shoes, one of the other posts referred to the "scum on the bottom of one's shoes". Several threads have made reference to the unhealthy situation that is created by having hundreds of people walk unshod. Who knows what diseases the referenced "scum" contains. If we are to remove our shoes, why doesn't the TSA provide disposible plastic socks to mitigate the spread of disease? I suspect the Center for Disease Control would have some good suggestions they would be pleased to share.

Que Pasa?

Stay the curse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.