Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA at ORD: Passport "scrutiny"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dartagnan
I transited ORD last week, on Thursday, coming home from NRT with a connection to SPI and bliss at home.

At the Terminal 2 line, the TSA ID checker took my boarding pass and passport, and instead of the cursory matching of names and faces, he proceeded to flip through each and every page of my passport. He also inspected each of the visas (India, China, Austria) with a magnifying loupe, as well as the picture page.

I think he was trying to see if I was passing a fake passport, full of visas, stamps, extra pages, etc., from 5 years of travel. It didn't hurt me at all, but I found it rather odd and invasive that he needed to examine my Indian visa in order to let me through to security in Chicago.

I <3 the TSA
I don;t think the DHS/TSA idiots can tell a real passport from their behinds. It was at ORD that they had torn the photo page off a woman's Canadian passport claiming it to be a fake. They also claimed that a woman who looked Indian (from India) could not have a Christian sounding name, hence fake.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
Originally Posted by essxjay
Uh, jargon check for the benefit of our studio audience, MSY-MSP: What agency is the ICS?

INS = Immigration and Naturalization Service
CBP = Customs and Border Protection
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement
ICS = ???

ICS=Idiots Can Serve a.k.a. TSA
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
Why would heavy use be "odd" or cause one to question the validity of a passport?

I know several people with double-annexed passports, many of which feature a homeresque butt-like curvature due to frequently being stored in a rear pocket. Is that odd too?
A high use passport (i.e., used for a lot of entries and exits) might be an indication that the passport is being "shared" or "passed around" for use by more than one person to enter and exit a country or countries.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Ok, you might be right that they don't take away passports per se. However, if you find a passport that looks, let say odd (e.g. heavy use or something like that), that makes you question something about the document, what is the procedure. My understanding is that it is not given back to the person presenting the ID. At this time isn't it up to TSA what to do with ID. (I assume that you call a LEO, and pass it to them) However, it is TSA that has "taken it away". Now I have heard instances where a LEO questions a document as well (NEXUS, CANPASS, and odd ball (i.e. not a DL or Millitary) government ID's), and asks for another, lets the person go but keeps the questionable document until such time as the document can be verified as authentic. In this case with your passport (if that is the document) the odds of you ever seeing it again are slim and none.
A UK passport is the property of Her Britannic Majesty... I'll be damned if I let some US government flunky steal my Queen's property
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jenbel
A UK passport is the property of Her Britannic Majesty... I'll be damned if I let some US government flunky steal my Queen's property
I hear some American insurgents did that .... back in the 18th century.

The US passport is proclaimed to be the property of the US government too.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I thought they already had this information.
They've made various efforts to extract it from the airlines. But at least the airlines who cooperate with this un-American tracking have to be concerned about privacy lawsuits from the victims and bad PR. Back in the CAPPS-II days, I think the airlines tried to get some sort of immunity for blatantly violating their stated privacy policies (kind of like the whole telecom debacle now); I'm not sure if they had any success.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:32 am

Location: SLC/AMS -- DL Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
We have a winner.

I'm just waiting for them to claim that a foreign visa is phony.....
A related thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was flying out of BTV and the ID checker was scrutinizing my passport (which I use in lieu of a drivers license since it doesn't have any personal information other than passport number) including flipping through several pages (it is quite full as I have had to add pages twice). She marks a '1' on my boarding pass and sure enough I get a secondary.

During the secondary they ask for my passport again and then begin to write things down. I asked them why they were recording information from my passport and I was told that they needed to do so for their record keeping. I asked them how that information would be used and they told me that they couldn't disclose that information. I indicated that what they were doing was in violation of the Federal Privacy Act and I got a blank stare in return.

I asked for a supervisor (who admittedly was very friendly in demeanor) and asked her why I was selected for a secondary and why they were recording information from my passport. She answered that the reason why I was selected for a secondary was because my passport was expired. I showed her the expiration date that was valid until Nov 18, 2008 and she then seemed confused. She went to talk to the ID checker and then came back and showed me a page in my passport that had an expired BRAZILIAN visa. My passport has 5 different Visas from Brazil, 1 from India, 1 from China and 2 from Ghana, not to mention dozens of stamps from every continent (except Antarctica).

I asked how in the world that an expired Brazilian visa had to do with anything related to me flying out of Burlington, Vermont. Her response was "we are new here to checking ID's and are still getting the hang of it". I then asked her about the Privacy Act implications of recording my passport information and she said she honestly didn't know what I was referring to. At this point I was running late for my flight so I collected my belongings and suggested to her that she and her team should learn the laws of the land and how to properly do their job. How in the world this charade increases security is beyond me.

Last edited by brj_slc; Mar 7, 2008 at 10:38 am
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by essxjay
Uh, jargon check for the benefit of our studio audience, MSY-MSP: What agency is the ICS?

INS = Immigration and Naturalization Service
CBP = Customs and Border Protection
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement
ICS = ???
That would be a typo on my part. I have been working with acronyms a lot lately. Somehow ICE/CBP became ICS. though i do like donsig's suggestion.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by brj_slc
A related thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was flying out of BTV and the ID checker was scrutinizing my passport (which I use in lieu of a drivers license since it doesn't have any personal information other than passport number) including flipping through several pages (it is quite full as I have had to add pages twice). She marks a '1' on my boarding pass and sure enough I get a secondary.

During the secondary they ask for my passport again and then begin to write things down. I asked them why they were recording information from my passport and I was told that they needed to do so for their record keeping. I asked them how that information would be used and they told me that they couldn't disclose that information. I indicated that what they were doing was in violation of the Federal Privacy Act and I got a blank stare in return.

I asked for a supervisor (who admittedly was very friendly in demeanor) and asked her why I was selected for a secondary and why they were recording information from my passport. She answered that the reason why I was selected for a secondary was because my passport was expired. I showed her the expiration date that was valid until Nov 18, 2008 and she then seemed confused. She went to talk to the ID checker and then came back and showed me a page in my passport that had an expired BRAZILIAN visa. My passport has 5 different Visas from Brazil, 1 from India, 1 from China and 2 from Ghana, not to mention dozens of stamps from every continent (except Antarctica).

I asked how in the world that an expired Brazilian visa had to do with anything related to me flying out of Burlington, Vermont. Her response was "we are new here to checking ID's and are still getting the hang of it". I then asked her about the Privacy Act implications of recording my passport information and she said she honestly didn't know what I was referring to. At this point I was running late for my flight so I collected my belongings and suggested to her that she and her team should learn the laws of the land and how to properly do their job. How in the world this charade increases security is beyond me.
Again my reason why I don't let the TSA screeners look thru the travel pages of my passport. If they can't even recognize the ID section (and expiration date) of the passport, why do the TSA screeners need to look at anything else.

I would have waited for an apology by the TSA screener travel document checker. And gone thru line again if necessary. This does not stop until we rub their noses in it.

"we are new here to checking ID's and are still getting the hang of it" does not do it. TSA has been using that excuse for over 5 years now.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DARN! Posted the "Week At A Glance" Too Early!

TSA Week At A Glance -- Our Version

I would have had two more entries if I hadn't been so quick to pull the trigger -- Lesson learned!

2 acts of Screener incompetence -- Inability to comprehend US Passport & ignorance of the Privacy Act

1 Privacy Act violation by a supervisor

Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cee
Until the black light crap was started, I didn't have a problem if someone hung on to their I.D. as long as I could see what I needed to see.
I really don't like those black lights. During certain times of the day, sunlight from the skylights shines so brightly you have to shield the ID to use the light effectively. Adding in the factor that the batteries always seem to go dead in the middle of a rush and you get a big PITA.

Last edited by myrgirl; Mar 7, 2008 at 12:13 pm Reason: coding
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:40 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by dartagnan
I transited ORD last week, on Thursday, coming home from NRT with a connection to SPI and bliss at home.

At the Terminal 2 line, the TSA ID checker took my boarding pass and passport, and instead of the cursory matching of names and faces, he proceeded to flip through each and every page of my passport. He also inspected each of the visas (India, China, Austria) with a magnifying loupe, as well as the picture page.

I think he was trying to see if I was passing a fake passport, full of visas, stamps, extra pages, etc., from 5 years of travel. It didn't hurt me at all, but I found it rather odd and invasive that he needed to examine my Indian visa in order to let me through to security in Chicago.

I <3 the TSA
Response: "Excuse me. You do not work for immigration or customs and I do not give you permission to view the private information about my trips. Your job is the check my identity, and for that you only need to see the picture page. Thank you."

If he gives you any guff call for an LEO. We simply must put a stop to this crap. Let nothing like this go unchallenged.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold

That is an amazing story...

Of course, we are talking about BTV here - they don't get to see passports that often ...what a crock...

amazing
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
That would be a typo on my part. I have been working with acronyms a lot lately. Somehow ICE/CBP became ICS. though i do like donsig's suggestion.
There is also USCIS. www.uscis.gov
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A high use passport (i.e., used for a lot of entries and exits) might be an indication that the passport is being "shared" or "passed around" for use by more than one person to enter and exit a country or countries.
Hmmmm . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.