Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA launches search for the perfect laptop bag

Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon

http://gsnmagazine.com/cms/features/...lysis/542.html

The key is for TSA screeners to be able to view the laptop in a single X-ray image, so the laptop would not need to be placed in a separate TSA bin.

To accomplish this, the TSA RFI pointed out that the laptop bag would need to meet the following requirements:

The carrying bag cannot exceed any one of the proposed dimensions 16 inches in height, 24 inches wide and 36 inches long.
The materials that make up the bag cannot degrade the quality of the X-ray image of the laptop.
No straps, pockets, zippers, handles or closures of the bag can interfere with the image of the laptop.
No electronics, chargers, batteries, wires, paper products, pens or other contents of the bag can shield the image of the laptop.

TSA is inviting bag designers and manufacturers to come up with creative ways to meet these design requirements, but it has also suggested three concepts of its own:

A bag that would open completely, and lie horizontally on the X-ray belt, such that one side with hold only the laptop.
A bag that would open completely, leaving the laptop standing vertically, supported by clips.
A bag that would pull apart in separate compartments, with one compartment containing only the laptop.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:47 pm
Suspended

And this is going to cost the taxpayers how much? I can just see those who travel with laptops being required to purchase such a bag. Reeks of CLEAR.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit of a modification on the bag I used for many years would do it. The bag had one main zipper down the middle and would open up like a book rather than dropping things in from the top like most bags.

Add a couple of velcroed tie-downs and remove the outside pocket on the side with the laptop. When you got to x-ray you would simply unzip it and lay it flat on the belt.

I much prefer that bag design, unfortunately it doesn't fit my current machine and I can't find anything like it that does.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:53 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:57 pm

I can see it now. Only TSA approved luggage will be permitted through the checkpoint. There aren't enough I can give this idea.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
My laptop backpack already has a "inner bag" that contains just the laptop. Instead of removing the laptop and putting it into a tray, I simply put the inner bag containing the laptop on the belt. Works perfectly in MUC and other European airports, and even a few TSA guys at US airports understood the idea.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead, how about using a better x-ray machine? One that wasn't being used prior to 9/11, technology that adapts to today's society.

Stop putting the burden on everyone else, pony up some responsibility, and get a clue, TSA.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I can see it now. Only TSA approved luggage will be permitted through the checkpoint. There aren't enough I can give this idea.
And you will have to pack that luggage in the TSA-approved manner.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Why doesn't the government just get into the bag manufacturing business? And the plastic baggie business? And the black-light business? And the paper business? And the plastic bin business?
ahem, they already are. can you say gov't contracts. i'll bet you <your amount here> hockey pucks that they are

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
i can't wait-just look how they phucked up liquids 'n shoes
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by doober
And you will have to pack that luggage in the TSA-approved manner.
They already have a video of this at SEA. While waiting in the lines they politely tell you to pack a layer of clothes, a layer of electronics, a layer of clothes.....

If I have to buy a TSA approved bag in order to fly that's it. I am done.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2
Instead, how about using a better x-ray machine? One that wasn't being used prior to 9/11, technology that adapts to today's society.

Stop putting the burden on everyone else, pony up some responsibility, and get a clue, TSA.
I thought that was the whole reason for the new x-rays that were being tested.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do I think that I should taking the laptop out of the bags? Does TSA will continuation to being screened the laptop at entire checkpoint? When I am flying out from PHX next month for Hawaii trip. What is your source for me about more specific information from TSA? I'm sure if we must to take laptop out of bags before I am passed through checkpoint.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Superguy
I thought that was the whole reason for the new x-rays that were being tested.
No, they didn't test it yet. Perhaps if TSA will installed it new x-ray machines.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm always searching for the perfect travel bag, but these fools think that I will restructure how I deal with a three week trip to accommodate 5 minutes at the x-ray?

There is probably a market for this among the people who walk around with their ID in a neck pouch.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Why doesn't the TSA just get the same model X-ray machines in use at remote outstations like LHR where screeners are able to screen bags without laptops having to be removed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.