Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well first off...Hello! Then, MCO (Orlando)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Well first off...Hello! Then, MCO (Orlando)

Just wanted to say hey guys, I work for TSA at MCO (Orlando), and thought I would inform you all of the new and improved, "longer line & understaffing" format.

If your a frequent flyer, I recommend (if you can) trying to get through security before noon, and then just before 4pm. That's when there is a definite rush, and excessive lines. The mornings are just an utter mess from 7am-11am.

You guys can also throw out questions to me if you like, specific to the airport or TSA in general. Nothing SSI, and nothing about some guy in Boston or LAX did something did to you, cause I can't speak for them.

Just thought I'd tell you, the lines are getting longer and longer, and even what might have been okay six months ago to get you through security isn't going to be applicable now.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:11 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Iworkhere,

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Thanks for being willing to answer questions. Sure you will get many of them.

Hope you have a thick skin....

First question.... is Kip Hawley truly an idiot? (as others here seem to believe!)
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:11 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Yes, Kip Hawley is an idiot. That was easy. Next question!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You seem like a bright individual.

Have you considered another line of work?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Haha, yes. This is temp, I should be gone in the next 2-3 months. Anything more then a year is a test against your sanity. I knew what I was getting into, due to the now dead (???) tsa-screener central website. But, it has gotten even worse in the year I've been there. Now, it is embarassingly bad, and I thought it was embarassing in the beginning.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
You seem like a bright individual.

Have you considered another line of work?
He is honest also! ^
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:04 am
Suspended

Welcome, Iworkhere!

My question for you: how much training did you have in the Privacy Act and have you been told to collect ID info from pax wanting a screener's name and/or badge number or has requested a complaint form?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Seeing as how I fly out of MCO, what I'd really like to know is how to find out where you - as an obvious non-idiot - will be stationed on the days I'm flying!! I'd love to come through your line with my FT bagtags and not be subject to the random power trips from your colleagues. Actually, knock wood, I really haven't encountered much trouble on my outbounds from MCO - I'm much more likely to see problems in other places when I'm on my way back.

I guess I don't have any real questions for you right now other than the one about ID which has already been asked, but thanks for being here.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:23 am
Original Poster

What's the Privacy Act? J/K. Training, hell, I don't even remember it specifically addressed other than in passing.

I have never been told to collect info on a pax who wanted a complaint form. In a briefing or on the sly. The complaint forms are at the desk, and we just advise passengers to go get one if they have a problem and fill it out. They are in the open, so you don't have to ask a sup for the form, but can just go up and snag one, and fill it out.

Now, once you get to the desk, that's where the sups are, so it's possible they ask someone for their ID when they turn it in, but to my knowledge this does not occur nor have I seen it happen. This is strictly at MCO though.

Just so you know, my understanding is that our "badge numbers" actually have no value, their just for VF solutions. I was told this by a TSO who has been there for quite a while. Not advising against getting that info if you want to file a complaint, but it might not mean anything if you don't get it and only their name.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:31 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
oooh... MCO, my old home. Is the hateful indian TSO who would give you a retaliatory secondary for rolling your ankle and dropping a bag on his foot still there? Older gentleman, about 5'7"? Refused to give me a comment card after it happened. I took his details and got a comment card on the walk out at IAD.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I've got an idea who your speaking of. I think he's on first shift.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:29 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I understand having a lane dedicated to wheelchair pax, which in God's waiting room in Florida is many, but it seems in MCO they change it each time. I have been flying from/to this airport about once a month the last 7 months and every time it seems they hold up a DIFFERENT line for a wheel chair, and then the TSA employee says, 'sorry folks this is the designated wheelchair line you must wait'. I don't mind waiting for a wheelchair person mind you, but using just one line instead of randomly changing it or lying to folks would be helpful in choosing a different lane if one likes.
Is there a lane on the 1-59 gate side for wheelchairs or is it completely random? I have seen them bring them all the way down to the last detector.

Kudos to them in November for sending me straight through the crew line while I was in a military uniform though ^

not Kudos to the guy that told me I couldn't have my Italian Passport and my USG passport and my tourist passport (when one certainly can) all together.

Some of MCOs problems come from the amount of kids and such clogging up the lines, it is why I have switched to PBI for most of these trips.

Welcome to FT!

Ciao,
FH
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Iworkhere
Just wanted to say hey guys, I work for TSA at MCO (Orlando), and thought I would inform you all of the new and improved, "longer line & understaffing" format.

If your a frequent flyer, I recommend (if you can) trying to get through security before noon, and then just before 4pm. That's when there is a definite rush, and excessive lines. The mornings are just an utter mess from 7am-11am.

You guys can also throw out questions to me if you like, specific to the airport or TSA in general. Nothing SSI, and nothing about some guy in Boston or LAX did something did to you, cause I can't speak for them.

Just thought I'd tell you, the lines are getting longer and longer, and even what might have been okay six months ago to get you through security isn't going to be applicable now.
Welcome! You will indeed need thick skin. Hopefully you'll last longer than Bart who sadly and understandably doesn't seem to post here anymore (as far as I can tell) .
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Hey Iworkhere, do any of your co-workers/supervisors know that you're posting here? Just curious (and I suppose that could also affect your level of candor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.