Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrongly jailed 9/11 pilot can claim damages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Wrongly jailed 9/11 pilot can claim damages

CNN Article

"LONDON, England (AP) -- A British court says an Algerian-born pilot deserves compensation after being wrongly jailed on a U.S. warrant in the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Court of Appeal ruling sharply criticized police and prosecutors for their handling of the case of Lotfi Raissi.

He was held for nearly five months in a high-security prison until a British judge refused to order his extradition, saying there was no evidence to link him with terrorism."

Excellent! ^

I hope more people who have had their freedoms and liberty destroyed by the imbeciles in the US and UK governments via their unnecessary and asinine responses to 9/11 sue the crap out of said governments. Moreover, those in government who are responsible for these reprehensible repressions should be held personally accountable: fines, prison, deportation, etc.

Last edited by Spiff; Feb 14, 2008 at 5:08 pm
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
CNN Article

"LONDON, England (AP) -- A British court says an Algerian-born pilot deserves compensation after being wrongly jailed on a U.S. warrant in the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Court of Appeal ruling sharply criticized police and prosecutors for their handling of the case of Lotfi Raissi.

He was held for nearly five months in a high-security prison until a British judge refused to order his extradition, saying there was no evidence to link him with terrorism."

Excellent! ^

I hope more people who have had their freedoms and liberty by the imbeciles in the US and UK governments via their unnecessary and asinine responses to 9/11 sue the crap out of said governments. Moreover, those in government who are responsible for these reprehensible repressions should be held personally accountable: fines, prison, deportation, etc.
What Spiff said. ^
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, if only our courts here in the U.S. would adopt the same attitude . . .
Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:10 pm

5 months false imprisonment....damages should be $400 a second.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:04 pm

I hope more people who have had their freedoms and liberty destroyed by the imbeciles in the US and UK governments via their unnecessary and asinine responses to 9/11 sue the crap out of said governments. Moreover, those in government who are responsible for these reprehensible repressions should be held personally accountable: fines, prison, deportation, etc.
Hmm, for someone who SO often speaks of Constitutional protections and the government's constant violations, I'm surprised you would suggest deportation of US citizens...can't say I've seen that ANYWHERE in the Constitution. What you suggest sounds more like fascism or communism...uh, wait a minute, aren't you the one who's always referring to those in government as communists, fascists, etc.?

TB
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Sorry, but at 5.25 billion dollars, you can pay him. Or did you forget that it is taxpayers that foot the bill. Damages in the millions, sure. I'd go for 100,000 - 250,000 a day.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
Hmm, for someone who SO often speaks of Constitutional protections and the government's constant violations, I'm surprised you would suggest deportation of US citizens...can't say I've seen that ANYWHERE in the Constitution. What you suggest sounds more like fascism or communism...uh, wait a minute, aren't you the one who's always referring to those in government as communists, fascists, etc.?

TB
Pieces of filth who go out of their way to destroy the Constitution (not just violate it) should be sent to someplace where they don't have the Constitution. After all, when some piece of trash scorns the Constitution and wants to take its protections away from others, should they not be placed someplace where they:

1)Can do no more harm to the Constitution and those protected by it and

2)Are in an environment much more suited to filth who destroy the Constitution?

I think North Korea is a great fit for such disgusting, dispicable people who at one point in time called themselves Americans. A ride to North Korea in the brig or cargo bay of a garbage scow is almost too good for such pieces of human garbage. If there is a door available as these swine are deported, the door should be opened with the swine at high velocity. Such individuals are on par with pederasts and terrorists.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:13 am

If it had happened a couple of years later he'd have been fasttracked straight to Gitmo under the terms of the 2003 Extradition Act which basically reads "we think he did something bad, hand him over NOW" - and would now be one of 7 people the US government wants the death penalty for.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Damages will most likely be in pounds, not dollars.

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
Sorry, but at 5.25 billion dollars, you can pay him. Or did you forget that it is taxpayers that foot the bill. Damages in the millions, sure. I'd go for 100,000 - 250,000 a day.
Taxpayers will foot the bill, but for once it won't be US taxpayers!
Ooops. Reread the OP. He was held on a US warrant. They'll figure out some way to charge US taxpayers.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by scoow
Ooops. Reread the OP. He was held on a US warrant. They'll figure out some way to charge US taxpayers.
My guess is that the brunt of the compensation burden (if there is any) will still fall UK taxpayers. He was held in a UK prison, and the article cites (presumably British) police and CPS were abusive of power.

But I have to wonder what any of this has to do with travel.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:23 am

He is - sorry as - an airline pilot
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pieces of filth who go out of their way to destroy the Constitution (not just violate it) should be sent to someplace where they don't have the Constitution. After all, when some piece of trash scorns the Constitution and wants to take its protections away from others, should they not be placed someplace where they:

1)Can do no more harm to the Constitution and those protected by it and

2)Are in an environment much more suited to filth who destroy the Constitution?
I don't think so. I hate 'em and what they are doing to our country, but part of the way it is supposed to work is that people who disagree or spout off "wrong" stuff are still supposed to be tolerated within the rules. The fact that they are doing their best to destroy the constitution doesn't mean that they don't still get the protections afforded by it. That being said, I have no qualms about charging them with any crimes they've committed and punishing them based on the legal system we have in place, right up until the congress loses even more of its spine and grants more retroactive immunity, but they are still citizens and they should be treated as such.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:30 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by TerminalBliss

TB
The US has effectively deported citizens. Take the cases of Arthur Rudolph and Hamdi. Just blackmail the person by giving them the "choice" of decades in prison or "voluntarily" renouncing their citizenship. A de facto deportation.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
A British court says an Algerian-born pilot deserves compensation after being wrongly jailed on a U.S. warrant in the Sept. 11 attacks....He was held for nearly five months in a high-security prison until a British judge refused to order his extradition, saying there was no evidence to link him with terrorism.
But the administration has assured us that all of these people are dangerous terrorists who would be able to nuke major American cities if we gave them due process.

Perhaps the Brittish court didn't get the memo.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:42 pm

Damages will most likely be in pounds, not dollars.
Awesome. Then 400 POUNDS a second. There are consequences to imprisoning people on false charges, I say we clobber them in the head with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.