Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newest Threat: Women

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:48 pm

You CAN blame DHS on Bush and Co. Bush and Co signed the bill.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by blooman
Since you didn't provide the link to specifically where you got the information to draw these conclusions, I googled "Patterns of Global Terrorism" and found that the last such report was in 2003, which I presume is the one you referred to since you said "Pre-Iraq invasion".

The link for this is here: http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/c12108.htm

However, nothing in this report seems to support your assertion that Latin America was a particular hotspot for terrorist activity. In fact, Latin America is lumped in with the whole of the "Western Hemisphere" (see http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/31640.htm) and the report on the region begins with this statement; "The international terrorism threat in the Western Hemisphere remained low during 2003 compared to other world regions"

If you look at the summary page, or "year in review" here: http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/33771.htm and scroll down to the charts that indicate where terrorist activity is mostly occurring, you find that both the number of attacks and the number of deaths due to int'l terrorism were highest in the Middle East and Asia.

When you look further for at the page summarizing the middle east (http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/31638.htm) it says this as the opening remark: "The Middle East continued to be the region of greatest concern in the global war on terrorism. Major terrorist attacks occurred in Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Israel during 2003, highlighting the damage that terrorism can wreak on innocent people. Terrorist groups and their state sponsors continued terrorist activities and planning throughout 2003. Active groups included al-Qaida, Islamic Resistance Movement (HAMAS), Hizballah, Palestine Islamic Jihad (PIJ), Ansar al-Islam (AI), and the remnants of the Zarqawi network, among others."

For E. Asia, the summary is a bit longer, but it appears that the central focus of terrorism in this region is from the Jemaah Islamiya (JI), the representative of Al-Qaeda in S. Asia. For east asia, the summary isn't as neat. These regional summaries are here: http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/31600.htm and http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/crt/2003/31611.htm

Thus, it is rather difficult to see how it is that you came even close to the conclusion that Latin America had the largest segment of terrorist events. None of the data points in that direction, nor does the narrative summary on it for this region.
You are taking one year. I am taking more than one selective year of the underlying data.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:48 pm

OK, now this is getting really silly.

First you say this:
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In terms of blood spilling terrorist attacks outside of such military conflict zones, not even 50% of blood spilling terrorist attacks involved "young, Muslim, men". Not for any period of time, jointly or severally, between 1946 and 2006.
Without providing any way to verify your statements with actual data or facts.

The you assert this:

So, sticking for just this one moment to things in the public domain, and going along anyway with State's annual reports about Patterns of Global Terrorism, in there, at least before the invasion of Iraq, the largest segment of terrorist incidents listed took place in Latin America; and out of the blood-spilling terrorist incidents noted in Latin America not even 1% of those involved muslims as perpetrators.
Again, making claims without demonstraing how you actually got these statistics. You make a vague reference to the State Dept. Report on Patterns of Global Terrorism, and say "in there", implying a single report. Said report refutes your assertion and actually supports Dovster's position. Having had this pointed out to you, you come back with this:

You are taking one year. I am taking more than one selective year of the underlying data.
So, would care to share with the rest of the class which years you culled the data from, and where exactly the numbers you have are?

I actually looked at those reports for a few years, and I don't see how you could have compiled any numbers from them that support any statement about terrorist statistics, let alone the ones you claim.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
You seem to enjoy slinging around terms like "bigots" and "bigotry". Let me tell you what my definition of a bigot is: someone who treats one ethnic group differently than he does others.
It is not slinging around terms, it is proper identification of terms. The advocacy of racist profiling is rooted in bigotry and advanced by bigots. You might not like that association, but the association is what it is.

Advocating that muslims, a particular religious group, be screened more than jews, another particular religious group, at US airports or more than "jews and christians" is nothing but treating one religious group differently than another. It is the definition of bigotry against one religious group.

By doing so, you are in effect saying that "well, we really can't hold members of this group to the same standards that we would other, more civilized, people."
Wrong -- that is not what I said, neither in effect nor directly.

I don't accept that for a minute.
What are you rejecting? You have rejected a strawman of your own fabrication.

have known, and still know, too many Muslims to accept them as any less civilized than Jews, Christians, Buddhists, or anyone else -- and as such I hold them to the same standards.
So you say.

Nor will I make believe that Islamic terrorism is not the major version facing the Western world today. You say that it is "apples and oranges" if I talk about Muslim terrorists murdering other Muslims in a war zone.
Here we have you again fabricating a strawman to knock over. I did not say that was apples and oranges. I said that the United States is not a military conflict zone like Iraq and Afghanistan, that we have an "apple and oranges".

Okay -- then how about Muslim terrorists crashing planes into the World Trade Center or the Pentagon?

Or Muslim terrorists blowing up a hotel in Netanya during a Passover dinner?

How about Muslim terrorists commiting mass murder on trains in Madrid or the London subway?

Does an assault on an airport in Scotland count?

Shooting at people waiting in line to board an El Al plane in LAX?

Blowing up a nightclub full of Australian vacationers in Bali?

Killing 200 Kenyans during an attack on the American Embassy in Nairobi (and let's not forget that two other American Embassys in Africa were bombed at the same time)?

Guess what? I could go on and on and on with this list.
That selective listing of attacks doesn't constitute the majority of incidents where civilians blood was spilled for political purposes in any one year, one decade or even half century. That is mostly a selective listing of blood-spilling terrorist incidents that are used by Islamophobic bigots for their own ends so as to try to get people to foolishly buy into a counterproductive bigotry that really does not serve American interests.

Of course, you won't pay attention to it because you absolutely refuse to hold Muslims to the same standards as you would anyone else. Instead, you prefer to remember that one Christian destroyed the Federal Office Building in Oklahoma City or that decades ago, Irish Catholics were setting off bombs in London.
Wrong, and I know better than you what I remember. I remember far more attacks wounding and killing civilians than just those, including those conducted by non-state actors and those conducted by state actors.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:53 pm
Suspended

OK, now this is getting really silly.

First you say this:

Without providing any way to verify your statements with actual data or facts.

The you assert this:

Again, making claims without demonstraing how you actually got these statistics. You make a vague reference to the State Dept. Report on Patterns of Global Terrorism, and say "in there", implying a single report. Said report refutes your assertion and actually supports Dovster's position. Having had this pointed out to you, you come back with this:

So, would care to share with the rest of the class which years you culled the data from, and where exactly the numbers you have are?

I actually looked at those reports for a few years, and I don't see how you could have compiled any numbers from them that support any statement about terrorist statistics, let alone the ones you claim.
Not everything is on the internet. I have posted about this before and there is plenty. Conduct a search. And pay attention to the meaning of plurality.

And remember the reference about active military conflict zones.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 15, 2008 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

GUWonder also said that the terrorist attacks against Muslim civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan can not be counted because "Iraq and Afghanistan are an active military conflict zone."

He, of course, does not bother mentioning that most of the killings in South America also took part in active military conflict zones (the FARC insurgency in Columbia and the Shining Path insurgency in Peru).

That fact doesn't fit his thesis, so out it goes. It is much easier simply to accuse everyone who applies the same criteria to Muslims as they do to everyone else as "bigots".
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:59 pm

Not everything is on the internet. I have posted about this before and there is plenty. Conduct a search. And pay attention to the meaning of plurality.
Interpretation: I made these numbers up, so now that I've been called on it, I'm going to misdirect the argument.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:00 pm

Interpretation: I made these numbers up, so now that I've been called on it, I'm going to misdirect the argument.
Hey, at least this time he is saying it is on the internet. He usually hints at some inside, classified, information which he is not at liberty to disclose.

Edit: Oops, I misread him. He said "not everything is on the internet." I guess this, too, is inside, classified, information.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:06 pm
Suspended

GUWonder also said that the terrorist attacks against Muslim civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan can not be counted because "Iraq and Afghanistan are an active military conflict zone."
What you posted above is a lie. I did not say that.

He, of course, does not bother mentioning that most of the killings in South America also took part in active military conflict zones (the FARC insurgency in Columbia and the Shining Path insurgency in Peru).
Those do not constitute active military conflict zones involving outside military forces.

It is much easier simply to accuse everyone who applies the same criteria to Muslims as they do to everyone else as "bigots".
It is not a matter of easier or not, it it is a matter of simply being accurate. Calling for muslims to be subjected to a different kind of treatment -- more harassment -- is the demand of Islamophobic bigots.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Wrong interpretation because I sent you to a public source for a moment and also admitted the reality of how things are.

Go through the reports and compile the numbers for incidents mentioned that are not in active military conflict zones. 50% or more of the incidents do not identify muslims as perpetrators.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:14 pm

That is not my contention, but it is my contention that advocates of racist profiling -- bigots most certainly -- are dishonest as they are trying to use information from active military conflict zones to distort the picture to institute their bigotry in places that are not active military conflict zones.

Dovster, a reasonable person won't be convinced that the United States is an active military conflict zone like Iraq and Afghanistan.
Iraq and Afghanistan are an active military conflict zone. Reasonable people know that the United States is not an active military conflict zone like Iraq or Afghanistan. Comparing apples and oranges to try to make bigotry more broadly acceptable is a typical approach, but some of us are not going to fall for it and take it to be that the United States is an active military conflict zone like Iraq or Afghanistan as of late or like various parts of Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia during any selective period. Apples and oranges, some of us can tell the difference between the two.

And remember the reference about active military conflict zones.
What you posted above is a lie. I did not say that.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Selective cutting and pasting to twist the context and misrepresent. Old hack.

Since we are talking about travel in a country that is not in a conflict zone involving outside military forces, I'll stick to that unlike those dishonest bigots who like to confuse people by comparing apples to oranges. In terms of blood spilling terrorist attacks outside of such military conflict zones, not even 50% of blood spilling terrorist attacks involved "young, Muslim, men". Not for any period of time, jointly or severally, between 1946 and 2006.
Pay attention to the first sentence. I know those who are paranoid about muslims and are bigots have trouble with that, but try it anyways.

Not surprisingly the advocates of racist profiling here would ignore that quote of mine in their use of selective cutting and pasting and removing items out of context to obfuscate.

I give a clarification, someone doesn't like it, so we get these games from the advocates of racist profiling (whether they admit it or not).
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:20 pm

Wrong interpretation because I sent you to a public source for a moment and also admitted the reality of how things are.

Go through the reports and compile the numbers for incidents mentioned that are not in active military conflict zones. 50% or more of the incidents do not identify muslims as perpetrators.
Why should I? supposedly you already did this in order to come up with the numbers you asert. All you have to do is report your findings.

(That is, of course, assuming that you actually have findings)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Dovster, so are FARC and "Shining Path" "in a conflict zone involving outside military forces"? Not of the uniformed state military variety.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Why should I? supposedly you already did this in order to come up with the numbers you asert. All you have to do is report your findings.

(That is, of course, assuming that you actually have findings)
If you are too lazy to do that, I am not going to make more effort to dig through boxes. I don't have to do anything, nor do you. You can suppose whatever you wish, but I've suggested how you can go about trying to disprove my statement. Try it the way I mentioned and let us see if you can present accurate findings that 50% or more of the relevant blood-spilling incidents were perpetrated by muslims. You certainly won't be able to do it on the basis of "young, muslim men", so let it be just "muslim" perpetrator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.