Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Pilot Stabbed on an Air New Zealand flight today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/pil...234107731.html

Of course it will be a situation of a mentally unstable person, but is interesting that many felt "nothing" like this could ever have happened "again".

(when I say "like this", I do not mean 9/11 as a complete example. I mean the many folks who have theorized "no one" would ever try to "attack" someone with cutting type object on a commercial aircraft, while claiming to have some kind of "device", while reportedly making a hijack attempt).

Last edited by bbc1969; Feb 7, 2008 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by bbc1969
Of course it will most likely be a situation of a mentally unstable person, but is interesting that many felt "nothing" like this could ever have happened "again".
Clearly this was a Beech 1900, given the flight from Blenheim to Christchurch - there's not even a cockpit door. I figured something like this would happen eventually. I hope the pilots will be alright.

Do passengers have to go through screening on these inter-NZ prop flights? I remember reading somewhere that they don't, though I am losing some of my memory in my advancing years.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:18 pm

Of course it will most likely be a situation of a mentally unstable person, but is interesting that many felt "nothing" like this could ever have happened "again".

(when I say "like this", I do not mean 9/11 as a complete example. I mean the many folks who have theorized "no one" would ever try to "attack" someone with cutting type object on a commercial aircraft. or what is being reported as a hijack attempt)
My thoughts exactly. There's not a lot of information available yet, but I wonder where the "vigilant passengers" were that are so often spoke of of this forum. I know...it's a little early to quarterback this thing, so I may have to eat my words later! It was also ironic that this occurred in New Zealand, which was staunchly opposed to armed air marshals.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it was a twin turbo prop aircraft. Not sure if a Beech or a Jetstream. You may be correct about a lack of screening on "intra" NZ flights of this type.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by billybob123

Do passengers have to go through screening on these inter-NZ prop flights? I remember reading somewhere that they don't, though I am losing some of my memory in my advancing years.

No
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by billybob123
Passengers go through screening for intra-NZ mainline flights, but the screening is pretty sensible.

As I posted in the Newsstand thread, I hope the Kiwis don't start acting like Stupid Americans over this incident.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
My thoughts exactly. There's not a lot of information available yet, but I wonder where the "vigilant passengers" were that are so often spoke of of this forum. I know...it's a little early to quarterback this thing, so I may have to eat my words later! It was also ironic that this occurred in New Zealand, which was staunchly opposed to armed air marshals.
A good point in all of this is, that there may very well have been vigilant passengers on board (we don't know yet); But people still got cut up, had to go to the hospital, and it appears that a "police dog" was used to help bring the suspect into custody.

Even people willing to help may not be enough.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
A good point in all of this is, that there may very well have been vigilant passengers on board (we don't know yet); But people still got cut up, had to go to the hospital, and it appears that a "police dog" was used to help bring the suspect into custody.

Even people willing to help may not be enough.
The plane seems to be intact.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
My thoughts exactly. There's not a lot of information available yet, but I wonder where the "vigilant passengers" were that are so often spoken of in this forum. I know...it's a little early to quarterback this thing, so I may have to eat my words later! It was also ironic that this occurred in New Zealand, which was staunchly opposed to armed air marshals.
Aircraft was a 19-seat Jetstream. Damn near impossible to stand up unless you're under 5ft; and no cockpit door.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0124686

I don't know how many "vigilant passengers" there were but the nut was probably up and into the cockpit before there was any chance of intervention. Not really a valid test case.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Aircraft was a 19-seat Jetstream. Damn near impossible to stand up unless you're under 5ft; and no cockpit door.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0124686

I don't know how many "vigilant passengers" there were but the nut was probably up and into the cockpit before there was any chance of intervention. Not really a valid test case.

... and the vigilant passengers would have had to attack the bad guy one at a time, just like in those Ninja movies...
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course it will be a situation of a mentally unstable person, but is interesting that many felt "nothing" like this could ever have happened "again".

(when I say "like this", I do not mean 9/11 as a complete example. I mean the many folks who have theorized "no one" would ever try to "attack" someone with cutting type object on a commercial aircraft, while claiming to have some kind of "device", while reportedly making a hijack attempt).
I don't know anyone who said that. The point is, post-9/11, this kind of attack wouldn't succeed because people will fight back. And it appears that's what happened.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
... and the vigilant passengers would have had to attack the bad guy one at a time, just like in those Ninja movies...
Good point. What would be the difference if the aircraft was an MD-80, Embraer 170 series, Boeing 717, ATA 757, etc? My point is the aisle width isn't significantly greater on these aircraft than the Jetstream to realistically permit more than one passenger to "attack the bad guy."
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I mean the many folks who have theorized "no one" would ever try to "attack" someone with cutting type object on a commercial aircraft, while claiming to have some kind of "device", while reportedly making a hijack attempt
No one has said that people wouldn't try to cut someone or otherwise make such an attack. The thing we've said, repeatedly--though no one seems to be listening--is that such attacks will accomplish nothing. No hijacking, no conversion of the plane to a guided missile, etc.

And mind you, too, that the case cited is not applicable to 99.999% of commercial aviation. We're talking about a plane without a cockpit door, for crying out loud.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Good point. What would be the difference if the aircraft was an MD-80, Embraer 170 series, Boeing 717, ATA 757, etc? My point is the aisle width isn't significantly greater on these aircraft than the Jetstream to realistically permit more than one passenger to "attack the bad guy."
Several big differences.

First, and foremost, even the EMB-170 has a reinforced cockpit door kept closed, or at best opened while the aisle is blocked and the flight crew vigilant for anyone approaching. Aisle width may not be a factor in "fighting back," but the actual attack in the first place is not going to get to the cockpit on the vast majority of planes out there.

Second, the damage one could achieve successfully hijacking a plane which might permit such an attack--like the tiny Jetstream or a B-1900--is so minimal that the risks are minimalized.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
My point is the aisle width isn't significantly greater on these aircraft than the Jetstream to realistically permit more than one passenger to "attack the bad guy."
And yet they have managed it. Most notably the Southwest (737) 'murder' at SLC. Other recent examples off the top of my head - Air Mauretanie (737) and Aeroflot(A320). I'm sure google would find others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.