Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Delayed 24 Hours at CDG because of a Plastic Fork in Carry-On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed 24 Hours at CDG because of a Plastic Fork in Carry-On

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

Last edited by Grog; Jan 22, 2008 at 1:27 am Reason: oh, nevermind.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Of course, in the wonderful system they have there you have to go through security again even though you are just connecting.
??? And this is different from the wonderful system in the US??? In both places, if you're coming in from "international", you need to be re-screened to the proper standards...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
??? And this is different from the wonderful system in the US??? In both places, if you're coming in from "international", you need to be re-screened to the proper standards...
But your incoming flight was in US (or in the OP's case, France's) airspace. Why is a flight that hasn't been screened to the proper standards allowed to operate?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ralfp
But your incoming flight was in US (or in the OP's case, France's) airspace. Why is a flight that hasn't been screened to the proper standards allowed to operate?

You answered it yourself: the flight was in France, not in the U.S. or to the U.S. The U.S. standard is not a standard everywhere, everytime. It's only the U.S. standard for U.S. bound flights.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
You answered it yourself: the flight was in France, not in the U.S. or to the U.S. The U.S. standard is not a standard everywhere, everytime. It's only the U.S. standard for U.S. bound flights.
You missed my point. You seem to think that I claimed the US standards are the "proper" standards. The "proper" standards are those in effect in the country in question.

If it's unsafe to fly over France without being cleared to French standards, why are flights from outside of France safe and allowed to land in France? If they are cleared to French standards, why the re-screening?

Please note the slight dash of sarcasm here.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by GrizShel
...Anyone know what's up with the grave concerns from French security about plastic forks? ...
The real reason is because of the conversion from standard units of terror (1 bottle of liquid) to metric units of terror (= 1 plastic fork). Ask the TSA, they can provide a handy worldwide conversion guide. It goes something like this:

1 container of liquid (US)
1 pair of blunt children's scissors (Japan)
1 plastic fork (France)
1 battery (UK)

etc. etc.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fly-yul
From the OP "Last week I had a tight connection in Paris." No other statement is made about the cause.

Again, a 10 minute delay happen at any airport for any of a bunch of reasons.

And you really need to think about what you reply before you click post. Comparing a flight delay to rape is offensive to many.
Regardless, it's a case of blaming the victim.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ralfp
You missed my point. You seem to think that I claimed the US standards are the "proper" standards. The "proper" standards are those in effect in the country in question.

If it's unsafe to fly over France without being cleared to French standards, why are flights from outside of France safe and allowed to land in France? If they are cleared to French standards, why the re-screening?

Please note the slight dash of sarcasm here.
It's the same idiocy everywhere. Get screened at LGW (or any other foreign airport) using the same idiotic standards the TSA has, essentially, thrust on the world. Then arrive in DTW where you have to go through the exact same identical screening, removing the same shoes, taking the same laptop out of the bag, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The real reason is because of the conversion from standard units of terror (1 bottle of liquid) to metric units of terror (= 1 plastic fork).
Oh, great. One more thing to have to remember .
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
Originally Posted by ylwae
Can you suggest active measures which would help the OP to be less unlucky?
I guess being more careful as to what you pack into your carryon. I take anything I might need during my first 36 hours of where I am going. So far, a fork has never been packed..or needed. Sometimes it amazes me what some people consider a necessity in the carryon!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by APW Girl
I guess being more careful as to what you pack into your carryon. I take anything I might need during my first 36 hours of where I am going. So far, a fork has never been packed..or needed. Sometimes it amazes me what some people consider a necessity in the carryon!
What's wrong with a fork--especially when you can get forks on board the airplane and at various food establishments in the 'sterile area'?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by APW Girl
You probably carry things that others would claim not to be necessary. Perhaps the fork was for food that the OP was carrying?

Since forks, both metal and plastic, are available in the sterile area, why should they not be legit? If handguns were freely available post-security, it'd be silly to ban bringing handguns through security, regardless of the risk they pose.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold, DL, CO, ATR
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Comparing a flight delay to rape is offensive to many.
Being forced to fork over a fork is pretty close
Old May 26, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The real reason is because of the conversion from standard units of terror (1 bottle of liquid) to metric units of terror (= 1 plastic fork). Ask the TSA, they can provide a handy worldwide conversion guide. It goes something like this:

1 plastic fork (France)
1 battery (UK)

etc. etc.
This thread is pretty old. Nevertheless let me add two items to the list as I found it a bit weird when "it" happened to me a couple of days ago:

1 plastic fork (France)
1 battery (UK)
1 lighter (Singapore)
1 pair of nail clippers (Australia)

Also note that 1 container of liquid is, by US standards, equivalent to 1 KLM Delft House, while, by European standards, it is not.

Last edited by cityflyer369; May 26, 2011 at 9:33 am
Old May 26, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
This thread is pretty old. Nevertheless let me add two items to the list as I found it a bit weird when "it" happened to me a couple of days ago:

1 plastic fork (France)
1 battery (UK)
1 lighter (Singapore)

Also note that 1 container of liquid is, by US standards, equivalent to 1 KLM Delft House, while, by European standards, it is not.
I like the idea of listing harmless items confiscated per country. I will add my own (from 2008).

1 plastic fork (France)
1 battery (UK)
1 lighter (Singapore)
1 stick solid deodorant (New Zealand)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.