FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   What's going on at SFO today? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/780250-whats-going-sfo-today.html)

tom911 Jan 17, 2008 9:00 am

What's going on at SFO today?

Seems security is a little more intense here this a.m., as they're yelling for anything with a power cord, cable, or battery to be removed from bags, as well as cell phones, electric razors, hair dryers and all electronics. In all my trips through here this is a first for me. I'm on the way to Europe and have all sorts of stuff between my two carry on bags (inverter, shortwave radio, electric razor, flashlight, phone). Forgot to take my camera out and they didn't say anything (hard to remember all the pockets I have things packed into). Good luck to anyone else coming through here this morning. At least on the AA side the checkpoints are not backed up. Don't know what it's like over on the UA side.

RFTraveler Jan 17, 2008 9:09 am

Possibly related to the problems at LHR

I would guess that flights to Europe today will be a nightmare - are you going through (or near) LHR? A BA 777 landed very short at LHR a few hours ago, and closed the airport for a while. At last report, one of the two runways there will be closed for a long time. The 777 is probably a write-off. No deaths, minor injuries IIRC.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...ent/index.html

No word yet on why yet. This is probably the kind of thing that will put the Kabuki theater on high-anxiety performance mode.

RFTraveler :eek:

tom911 Jan 17, 2008 9:32 am

I'm off to the continent (not LHR or LGW).

goalie Jan 17, 2008 9:38 am

could it be that the tsa is yet again taking their own (and imho, inept and stoopit) rule about lithium batteries way out of context :rolleyes:

donsig Jan 17, 2008 9:45 am

rule about lithium batteries way out of context
"....Why do I have take all these electronic items out of my carry-on?"

"....Mister, all them 'lectrik thangs got possible lidium in them....take 'em out"

God, I feel soo much safer...

sbm12 Jan 17, 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 9086499)
could it be that the tsa is yet again taking their own (and imho, inept and stoopit) rule about lithium batteries way out of context :rolleyes:

SFO is contractors, not TSA, isn't it? At least I'm pretty sure they were when I passed through a couple weeks ago.

They did interpret some rules differently than other airports (though this time in my favor), but they were far more pleasant and professional than what I usually deal with.

goalie Jan 17, 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9087218)
SFO is contractors, not TSA, isn't it? At least I'm pretty sure they were when I passed through a couple weeks ago.

They did interpret some rules differently than other airports (though this time in my favor), but they were far more pleasant and professional than what I usually deal with.

yes that is true but they do take their marching orders from the tsa-just a thought

Flaflyer Jan 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by donsig (Post 9086538)
"....Mister, all them 'lectrik thangs got possible lidium in them....take 'em out"

"Mam, your lithium level seems like it might be running a tad low this morning. Care to have a quick medicinal lick on my power cell?" :D

Spiff Jan 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 9087277)
yes that is true but they do take their marching orders from the tsa-just a thought

Yup. "Team SFO" is just the TSA with a different clown costume. :td:

Looks like they are living up to expections of idiocy. What wretched filth we have "in charge" of "security". Stupid punks. :td:

Ari Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the distinct impression that the Li+ battery restriction is FAA/DOT, not TSA. The TSA has just been "helping" out in the matter.

goalie Jan 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 9088858)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the distinct impression that the Li+ battery restriction is FAA/DOT, not TSA. The TSA has just been "helping" out in the matter.

emphasis mine: helping to misinterpret their own (and in this case, also the faa's/dot's) policy

tom911 Jan 17, 2008 4:25 pm

My seatmate on the way to ORD said she was told it's a "one day test". Maybe they were only testing the AA checkpoint, or I'm sure the UA flyers would be chiming in by now.

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD

Spiff Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 9088997)
My seatmate on the way to ORD said she was told it's a "one day test". Maybe they were only testing the AA checkpoint, or I'm sure the UA flyers would be chiming in by now.

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD

Perhaps this craptapular agency decided to test the patience of the passengers? I wish more of them had told "Team SFO" to shove it where the sun don't shine re: all electronics out.

jplus Jan 17, 2008 6:48 pm

I went through security at SFO several times yesterday (Jan. 16th) and experienced nothing like that.

Hopefully this all electronics out thing won't become normal policy, or maybe when I fly through U.S. in the future I'll just check everything and wear my bathrobe to the plane.

Dr Bill SFO Jan 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Same thing happened to me this morning at the AA TSA checkpoint at SFO. I use the Clear registered traveler entry line and the Clear concierge told me that it was the first time she ever heard TSA/Team SFO make an announcement that all electric items, including electric shavers, must be removed from carry-on luggage.

So now the list of stuff I have to remove includes my jacket, shoes, keys, cell phone, laptop, liquids, and electric razor. When I applied for Clear membership I was hoping that eventually some of those requirements would be waived. Well, at least the concierge helps me carry all of the unpacked items up to the scanner.