Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does the TSA still plan on taking over ID checks at all US airports?

Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

While it seems like Comrade Chertoff's plan has gone through, and the TSA is taking care of ID checks at almost every airport, at PBI it's still handled by Aramark. Did airports have the option to keep their contractors? Or is PBI just being slow for wahtever reason?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
While it seems like Comrade Chertoff's plan has gone through, and the TSA is taking care of ID checks at almost every airport, at PBI it's still handled by Aramark. Did airports have the option to keep their contractors? Or is PBI just being slow for wahtever reason?
TSA is slow to move. Most carriers would like TSA to takeover this function.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jetboyds
TSA is slow to move. Most carriers would like TSA to takeover this function.
Why? It's the carrier's responsibility to protect their revune, not the government.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:25 pm

It's definitely been a staggered rollout--different airports I've flown through had TSA take over ID checks at different times, so I'd assume PBI is just toward the end of the list.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Why? It's the carrier's responsibility to protect their revune, not the government.
With home-printed BPs that are easily altered, comparing IDs to BP names at the security checkpoint does absolutely nothing to protect airline revenue.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
True, but some brainiac at TSA thinks ID is security. Additionally, the airlines want TSA to do it because they won't have to pay for it then.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, TSA will be takeover all security checkpoint some US Airports but, it is not normally some small airports does not have TSA personnel. It was during ID checkers & BP, too. If TSO found out a false identification. They will have secondary screening but, TSA will notified airport police during the interview with passengers. They will be arrested them as charges false identification. Do you know actually exactly know about the laws, am I right?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
Paying the contractors to do a poor job costs $. Not that I like the TSA either...but....

Last edited by jetboyds; Jan 17, 2008 at 12:34 pm Reason: adding comment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.