Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New (to me) lithium battery limits from the TSA

New (to me) lithium battery limits from the TSA

Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I tried to think up other reasons why this all went down.

I think--and this is just a guess--that some faction of high end security manufacturing has come out with a new machine that can better detect devices and bombs and such but the cost is enormous right now. There have been concerns on what these scanning devices can actually detect and some stuff has gone by unchecked, but they are trying to make it so they can clearly recognize everything going onto a plane. The TSA or whomever makes decisions on what gets installed at airports nationwide, made bids to find the best products for scanning our luggage in airports and here's what I bet went down:

Eager underling who runs around pleasing the higher ups:
"Sir, I have some information for you. The A1000 system that's out right now from company X can scan most everything except these few items and it costs $1billion. Now, I found that the A1000-1.0 can scan everything and can even tell the difference between a camera battery and a laptop battery! Our scientists think this would more practical given the nature of the majority of the traveling public (business travelers). But this machine is $4billion. Would you like me to order those now?"

Supervisor:
"No, let's go with the cheaper model and just make a rule that forces the traveler to not put those items in their luggage anymore."
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, if I read this correctly, I can now only carry two Li-ion spares for my Canon DSLR. Just peachy.

I suppose I'll have to spread multiple spares across several carryon bags to get them through.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Take out those lithium pacemaker batteries
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
I am making little labels for all my batteries:

"TSA Approved Battery - NO Lithium - NO Lithium Ion "

Should do the trick.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by birdstrike
So, if I read this correctly, I can now only carry two Li-ion spares for my Canon DSLR. Just peachy.

I suppose I'll have to spread multiple spares across several carryon bags to get them through.
I think, as I read it, you are permitted as many less than 8 g equivalent lithium content batteries as you want and two 25 g equivalent lithium content batteries. 8 g equivalent lithium content is equvalent to 100 watt-hours. My laptop battery is 69 watt-hours. The little Canon DSLR batteries are even smaller. If you have a big Canon DSLR battery, check it. Mine is nickel, not lithium. I'm going to be on the safe side and take two less than 8 g equivalent lithium content batteries and my nickel battery and alert my ride to the airport that I may be calling her to come back and pick up a battery or two.

Here is the best article I've seen. http://www.thestreet.com/s/dont-lose...?puc=googlefiI can't parse my way through the FAA regulation.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:03 pm
Pam

My head is whirling. My camera uses AA batteries, and the rechargeable ones that I have are nimh. Those don't have lithium?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pam
My head is whirling. My camera uses AA batteries, and the rechargeable ones that I have are nimh. Those don't have lithium?
nimh is nickel metal hydride. No lithium. Alkaline, which most AA batteries are, are zinc and manganese dioxide.

I hope all the TSOs have degrees in chemistry.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
nimh is nickel metal hydride. No lithium. Alkaline, which most AA batteries are, are zinc and manganese dioxide.

I appear to be wrong about AA batteries. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

I have a bunch of AA batteries from different manufacturers and I can't find a content label.

It is all quite confusing.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by donsig
I am making little labels for all my batteries:

"TSA Approved Battery - NO Lithium - NO Lithium Ion "

Should do the trick.
Do you know what? I think that's genius and I am going to make a sticker myself with their logo on it! I used to think out of the box on such stuff myself and I think I forgot how here. Thank you.

It brings back memories of when I was in college and my wallet was in a house fire where we all lived. No one died but I got back half the contents in a charred state of existence. My driver's license was 1/2 a plastic card now with my picture and some details remaining, including my date of birth. In those days, it was always a pain to go to the RMV and stand in lines and such, so I never had time to do it. I instead went to Kinko's copies and made a state seal with a strip of clear plastic that read "damaged license, temporary validation." It worked fine for those final weeks of going to bars and buying beer nearing graduation. I was of legal drinking age (had taken time off school so was 21 before leaving) but this kind of thing is always a pain in that environment anyway. I later went to get a new one but for a while it served me well!...

Who is going to know the difference and if they do, what's the big deal if you just deny everything and say you got the battery that way and now YOU feel ripped off?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
I appear to be wrong about AA batteries. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

I have a bunch of AA batteries from different manufacturers and I can't find a content label.

It is all quite confusing.
The newer Lithium AA batteries will be very clearly labelled as such - the manufacturers are using it as a selling point. For example Energizer

Duracell don't use Lithium in their AA batteries - they use it in their batteries for Film cameras - ie, not the AA size.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:41 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
TSA makes flying more miserable

Scathing article here:
It seems lithium is the new WMD

THERE WAS A talk at the last Defcon and the TSA came up. Paraphrased, the message was that Kip Hawley, the TSA Administrator wondered why it is hated so much. It answered its own question this week with a ban on lithium batteries.

The situation goes like this, someone at TSA hears something, and it overreacts. This is not a problem, that is what it is paid to do, and if there is a threat that has an unknown aspect to it, better safe than sorry. God forbid if the voters aren't afraid, they might question the real problems that the government is not addressing, I mean, they might not behave properly. In general, overreaction is better than underreaction.

The problem is that the TSA never gets out of overreaction mode. Remember the whole 'liquid explosives' thing a year and a half ago? I think it was right for the government to overreact, and overreact it did. A week or three later, it came up with the whole 311 nonsense presumably to keep people from being too annoyed to realise that there was no liquid explosives terror threat in the first place.
Except for the bit about "the gov't should be overreacting," it's pretty funny.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 31, 2007 at 2:30 am
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:46 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by essxjay
Scathing article here:

Except for the bit about the gov't should be overreacting, it's pretty funny.
I was there. It was a great talk. ^
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

TSA employees might have as little as a high school degree/GED. 1 year or less of high school chemistry is probably not going to get said employee past "Do you want to fly today, Comrade?"

"Thank you, drive, er walk through."
Old Dec 31, 2007, 3:05 am

I still say a flying stoppage is needed...why oh why won't people step up when it is needed...what happened to the revolutionary genes.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by vesicle
I still say a flying stoppage is needed...why oh why won't people step up when it is needed...what happened to the revolutionary genes.
I'm in my third week of being grounded and loving every minute of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.