Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Air Marshals and Careers in Transportation Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

So I was at the library on Saturday with my 2 year old daughter. As we were walking by the new book shelf in the juvenile section, something caught my eye: a book called "Air Marshals and Careers in Transportation Security." I only flipped quickly through it, as the native was getting restless, so I can't review it, per se. However, I did see a few nice pics of our good friends, the TSOs, in there.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
the "Hawley Youth"?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I think the book should serve as a deterrent.

"See, son? This is where you'll end up if you don't do well in school and don't go to college."

Last edited by Superguy; Dec 17, 2007 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Superguy

"See, son? This is where you'll end up if you don't do well in school and go to college."
Actually, your quote should say " See, son? This is where you'll end up if you don't do well in school and don't go to college." As written, you are implying that the end result is a combination of not doing well in school and going to college. Totally different meaning that nullifies your point, unless of course, you are an Air Marshal, then you just proved it.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Superguy

"See, son? This is where you'll end up if you don't do well in school and go to college."
Except that most of the FAMs I know (and I know quite a few) have degrees. Many of them advanced degrees. One has, believe it or not, an actual doctorate. He got it on the job, but he has it.

I even know a couple of, <gasp>, lawyers that are FAMs.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by law dawg
Except that most of the FAMs I know (and I know quite a few) have degrees. Many of them advanced degrees. One has, believe it or not, an actual doctorate. He got it on the job, but he has it.

That's the joke around the office. Soon when we see each other it will be "Good Morning, Doctor". A very large percentage of us have four year degrees. I know a handful who have their Masters and one who is working on his Doctorate.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
That's the joke around the office. Soon when we see each other it will be "Good Morning, Doctor". A very large percentage of us have four year degrees. I know a handful who have their Masters and one who is working on his Doctorate.
Our office had an actual "Doctor", as in Dr. of Medicine, in addition to several attorney's.

Of course this is not information that "hardcore" bashers want to hear. They would rather stick with forwarding the idea that the ranks of the FAM Service are filled with uneducated, untrained idiots. The fact that the ranks are filled with a varied cross section of professionals who would not fit in the "jack booted thug" mold is hard to explain away.

I find the basher's more entertaining than anything else. The numbers here are representative of the feelings you would get from the general populace in my belief. For example, from memory I believe the Flyer Talk website shows about 157,212 registered members. Of that number, the "hardcore" FAM bashing is conducted by about a dozen or less. Hardly scientific, but I wonder if its because the other 157,200 don't care, or they are not as "enlightened" as the rest?

There is no doubt that there are thousands who disapprove of the program for whatever reason. Many of those most likely have no knowledge or educated opinion to base this on. But there are millions that do support the program. Many of those just on principal, with no educated opinion or knowledge as well. Somewhere in the middle lie the true "numbers" of person's who do have the knowledge, and have formed an educated opinion. I would say these numbers far outweigh the "bashers".

Last edited by bbc1969; Dec 17, 2007 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by bbc1969
Our office had an actual "Doctor", as in Dr. of Medicine, in addition to several attorney's.
I’ll see that, and raise you two furloughed pilots. Who incidentally, were offered their jobs back with the airlines and refused so they could stay on with the FAMS. (Sorry, just got back from LAS)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by hiltonhead
Actually, your quote should say " See, son? This is where you'll end up if you don't do well in school and don't go to college." As written, you are implying that the end result is a combination of not doing well in school and going to college. Totally different meaning that nullifies your point, unless of course, you are an Air Marshal, then you just proved it.
Fixed. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg

I've met people who have advanced degrees and do far less "glamorous" jobs than flying armed. I'm talking a couple of UPS drivers, a CPA and someone who owns a couple of Quizno's sandwich shops.

It happens all the time....people just don't think being a FAM would be one of those alternate career choices.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bbc1969
Of course this is not information that "hardcore" bashers want to hear. They would rather stick with forwarding the idea that the ranks of the FAM Service are filled with uneducated, untrained idiots. The fact that the ranks are filled with a varied cross section of professionals who would not fit in the "jack booted thug" mold is hard to explain away.....
Having an education or being 'bright' does not absolve one of the opportunity to be a gung-ho 'yahoo', clumsy, absent minded or even a jack booted thug.

If having a MD was a sign of perfection, we wouldn't need malpractice insurance

FAMs are like any cops - a variety of people from diverse social, educational and economic backgrounds who signed up for the job for different reasons, some of whom are good at what they do, some of whom go through the motions, and some who shouldn't even be allowed to carry a B-B gun.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
I've met people who have advanced degrees and do far less "glamorous" jobs than flying armed. I'm talking a couple of UPS drivers, a CPA and someone who owns a couple of Quizno's sandwich shops.

It happens all the time....people just don't think being a FAM would be one of those alternate career choices.
Sure. No doubt it is a more common phenomenon than most would think.

I simply pointed out that saying the FAMS (or Secret Service, FBI, Border Patrol, DEA, USMS, etc.) is a place for those who've failed in the academic pursuits is inaccurate.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Having an education or being 'bright' does not absolve one of the opportunity to be a gung-ho 'yahoo', clumsy, absent minded or even a jack booted thug.

FAMs are like any cops - a variety of people from diverse social, educational and economic backgrounds who signed up for the job for different reasons, some of whom are good at what they do, some of whom go through the motions, and some who shouldn't even be allowed to carry a B-B gun.
Not even a Red Rider? C'mon please, I promise I won't shoot my eye out.....
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by bocastephen

You are absolutely correct. The point is that many, if not most of the posts here incorrectly conclude that this is the rule, rather than the exception.

This is also correct, and applies to every position out there, not just public safety related employment. The consequences are much higher of course when dealing with those who should not be in public safety positions. There have been FAMs fired/suspended for wrongdoing. The number is very small compared to the number of FAMs. This can be said for any public safety agency or career field. It will never be otherwise, as we employ these people from the human species.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
Anecdotal evidence that some FAMs have advanced degrees and therefore are good at their jobs is pretty meaningless.

I work for the Alaska DOT. We have a equipment operator (read: truck driver) who has a PhD in journalism. One of our traffic flaggers has an MS in chemical engineering. I know a commercial fisherman with an MS in biology. I have a degree in geophysics and I work as an engineer. Doesn't make any of us good at what we do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.