Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Domestic ONLY Travel/Security Question on Warrants and Immigration for example

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic ONLY Travel/Security Question on Warrants and Immigration for example

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Angry Domestic ONLY Travel/Security Question on Warrants and Immigration for example

This question is only related to domestic only travel with lower 48.

Is our the government, big brother and/or airlines now checking that DHS consolidated database for Criminal Background checks/warrant checks, immigration violations etc...

Meaning if someone flew on a short domestic flight he/she could be arrested for a outstanding warrant or immigration violation.

If it is not happening yet, I bet its only a matter of time.... No civil rights left in US.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not appear that this is happening yet, though it's probably part of the proposals for Secure Flight.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Police have been arresting wanted people for years at airports. Just read the newspapers.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Why would you not want a wanted criminal to be arrested?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter
OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Why would you not want a wanted criminal to be arrested?
It's not the opposition to the arrest of wanted criminals (or suspected criminals) -- it's opposition to airports being used in a domestic dragnet and airlines acting like cheap government informants.

Add in the likelihood of mistaken identity and that even if there is a wanted criminal, perhaps a busy public place like an airport may not be a good place to "pick a fight" or the best place to pick up a wanted criminal or suspect.

Also, not everyone welcomes America behaving increasingly like the defeated Soviet Union of yesteryears -- a USSR that also loved to do all sorts of police operations at airports and train and bus stations.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
An airport is a public-use space, not a dragnet for catching people. One of our most cherished freedoms (what's left of it) is our right to travel within our own country, un-impeded by internal visas or other requirements.

Turning the airport or any travel facility into another dragnet to catch people is simply unacceptable. There are plenty of other ways and opportunities to catch people wanted on warrants and other violations.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Why not be subject to background checks when moving about in your own country? After all, you have nothing to hide, right?

Last edited by sinanju; Dec 16, 2007 at 9:23 pm
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by sinanju
Why not be subject to background checks when moving about in your own country? After all, you have nothing to hide, right?
Do you truly believe that someone with outstanding warrants would put themselves in a position (like applying for a job for instance) that would require a background check? That aside, the message you are sending then is that airports are some kid of "safety zone"? A felon need only get to CVG and shout "all in free" or something? Sorry, I don't want him on my flight, he's all yours.

And as far as my own background is concerned, take your best shot. I'm willing to bet any amount you like that my background has been investigated to a greater degree than anyone on this board, with the possible exception of Bart.

Last edited by LEX-LGA Commuter; Dec 16, 2007 at 9:48 pm
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
An airport is a public-use space,.
Got it. As is an Interstate highway. And Lord knows, if you get pulled over or are involved in accident there, the state troopers never "run your license", right?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:54 pm

Do you truly believe that someone with outstanding warrants would put themselves in a position (like applying for a job for instance) that would require a background check? That aside, the message you are sending then is that airports are some kid of "safety zone"? A felon need only get to CVG and shout "all in free" or something? Sorry, I don't want him on my flight, he's all yours.

And as far as my own background is concerned, take your best shot. I'm willing to bet any amount you like that my background has been investigated to a greater degree than anyone on this board, with the possible exception of Bart.

Hey, I wanna play! Four SBIs (not counting periodics)/TS-SCI with VRK. All that and a quarter and I can get a cup of joe LOL
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG

I guarantee you my "background" has been, is, and will be "investigated" more than yours and bart's combined, by more countries, agencies, and entities than I care to remember sometimes, for various reasons. I still don't need random feckless hacks checking me or getting my information. Felons fly with people everyday, it hasn't been a huge problem lately...

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:11 pm
Suspended

I'm willing to bet any amount you like that my background has been investigated to a greater degree than anyone on this board, with the possible exception of Bart.
I doubt that you are the most investigated person on FT or even second. But what does it matter? It doesn't. Just because you are comfortable with something does not mean that everyone else is -- or should be -- comfortable with it.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
Hey, I wanna play! Four SBIs (not counting periodics)/TS-SCI with VRK. All that and a quarter and I can get a cup of joe LOL
I'll see your TS/SCI and raise you a full scope poly with additional compartments.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'll see your TS/SCI and raise you a full scope poly with additional compartments.
At least it's not a full scope colonoscopy.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Got it. As is an Interstate highway. And Lord knows, if you get pulled over or are involved in accident there, the state troopers never "run your license", right?
They don't need to run my license and search my car before I get on the road, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.