Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrified 2-year old at WTMD in LAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
Then again, we've always been consistent having passenger remove their shoes at the WTMD, and we've always had passengers claim, "but they let me keep them on in Dallas." We had a TSO transfer from Dallas who told us the version she heard was, "but they let me keep them on in San Antonio."
No, you haven't. Depending on how infrequently the passenger flys they may be stating the absolute facts as they saw them. I still have my WTMD friendly shoes. ^

No frequent flyer would make such a claim today. Ma and Pa Kettle might well do so.

Last edited by birdstrike; Nov 26, 2007 at 7:53 pm
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY
So he can shut down the organization? Usually means lots of going-away parties.
I think Bart believes the TSA is performing a valuable service. @:-)

A charismatic leader might be the worse possible outcome for a security organization. ^
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe that I've known the sexual orientation of any TSA screener I've ever encountered,
...except for the famous cross-dresser in DEN...
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by lupine
Their (Disney)training is more effective, and their reinforcement and testing to ensure consistency is unending. Finally, unlike the TSA, Disney understands scheduling and staffing.
Bart's reply:
I know you honestly believe this, but I'll politely disagree. TSA's training is pretty intensive, and TSOs are hit from all angles in tests ranging from quarterly quizzes and imagery tests to the much ballyhooed covert Red Team tests. I don't have an issue with TSA training. I do have an issue with TSA leadership and management practices, and this is where I think the root of the problem is both at the "trenches" and in upper management.
If the TSA training and follow-up was really effective then passengers would experience a consistent and consistently good TSA screening experience.

There is much evidence -- mine and others -- that the process today is anything but consistent, and unfortunately, all too often rude or inconsiderate.

I'm kind of a process person myself, and my general experience is that when you encounter one jerk, you've encountered one jerk. When you repeatedly encounter different people behaving in jerklike manner in the same organization, you have a design and training problem compounded by management complacency. And when the organization as a whole repeatedly shows an inability to detect that which it was put there to detect, you have a bigger design and training problem, and a management that has its head in the sand.

There's a great book called, "If Disney Ran Your Hospital." Different environment, but a lot of the same concepts apply. All of us would likely have a better experience if TSA employed this approach, and I suspect that those who work for TSA would also find that work was a nicer place with this kind of approach.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the TSA training and follow-up was really effective then passengers would experience a consistent and consistently good TSA screening experience.
Ibid.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:48 am
Suspended

OK, but really, if there was a monkey incident that TSA mishandled, and we didn't hear about it on FlyerTalk, did it really happen?
I don't know. That's my humorous explanation for why certain bureaucracies act the way they do. It was my theory that all of this nitty gritty detail just had to be the result of someone somewhere mishandling an incident involving a monkey. It was a throwback to my early Army days when we wore subdued rank on our uniforms until one day there was a change requiring that the rank insignia worn on headgear be unsubdued. A crusty old NCO theorized that some officer somewhere probably didn't get saluted. I'm willing to bet that's not far from the truth.

My comment: I don't believe that I've known the sexual orientation of any TSA screener I've ever encountered, which is fine by me. And, as long as the screener isn't using sexual innuendo, leering, groping, or otherwise behaving in an inappropriate manner, then I don't care. And if he (or she) is behaving inappropriately, I still don't care about the orientation -- I just want the bad behavior gone. Now.
Agreed. I was making a parenthetical comment about how Disney would react to negative publicity but remembered and commended Disney for its open policy regarding gays. Very bold move in the face of a lot of negative publicity. You are absolutely right: it should not make a difference as long as the individual's behavior is appropriate.

Last I heard, being patted down by someone who's gay doesn't make you gay. Which is in a way really too bad, as there are a handful of people that I wouldn't half mind seeing suddenly become gay the way Tom Hanks became Big. That could generate no end of amusement.
Disagree with you if you think it wouldn't make any difference to many members of this board who pretend to be open-minded. Based on my observations at the checkpoint, I opine that many folks are truly homophobic, particularly if in a pat-down situation. Just an opinion, that's all. But you are correct again: being patted down by someone who's gay doesn't make you gay.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:28 am

This makes no sense. But then since when has TSA EVER engaged in any kind of rational thought?

If I had a kid, I'm not letting any TSO lay their hands on him/her. Thus, I want to be able to hold their hand when they go through the metal detector. It makes sense for the child to go through with their parent. It's scary enough being in an unfamiliar place as a 2 year old; they don't need the stress of being separated from their parent added to that list.

I also heard somewhere that incompetence is not grounds for termination in the federal government. No wonder the managers are so ineffective....he's managing an ineffective team. That, and money, I guess is why I would never work for the government. Because I think outside the box and demand the ability to assemble an effective team as I see fit.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 27, 2007 at 5:47 am
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Comparing Disney to the TSA is not the best of analogies.

Disney is a for-profit corporation that wants people to spend money at their parks. The TSA is a government organization that is designed for a specific purpose. If people don't like Disney (southern baptists) they don't have to go to a Disney park. TSA is an organization that if you fly, you must deal with.

Now, if TSA could emulate some of Disney's practices, they might make a better travel experience. However, given the 'I want my low cost air travel and I want it NOW' mentality of the average US air traveler, it is highly unlikely that most travelers give the TSA a second thought once they are past the checkpoint. I would guess that most people simply look at TSA as one of the necessary evils involved with air travel. TSA also has a lot more oversight as to how they spend their budget at the Congressional level, whereas Disney answers to their stockholders. Different priorities. With TSA it comes down to individuals who either shine and make peoples' days a little brighter or people who want others to share in their misery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.