Carry-on Baggie question

Old Nov 15, 07, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on Baggie question

Havent see this addressed yet, if I missed it I'm sorry.

Do items like hard candy, gum and mints have to go in the baggie or can they just stay in my carry-on? I know that cheesecake is a liquid (based on the other thread) but was wondering if anything edible counts as a liquid/gel?
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:57 pm

Bandit26, welcome to FlyerTalk. As for your question, you do not have to put food products in a baggie unless they are a liquid or gel. Hard candy, gum, breath mints and the like should be fine.
Old Nov 15, 07, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the quick reply. That's what I assumed but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

I've been reading the boards here for a few months.. lots of great info!
Old Nov 15, 07, 7:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN
And what about wooden pole, about 1m?

Please allow me to hijack this tread, but I have a similar question. I bought a wooden pole, approx 1m long. On the pole is an indicator to the beach and to the BBQ. We liked it so we bought it for our home, it looks nice&fun.
The bottom of the pole is a little bit sharpened so it can be easely rammed into ground. Maybe it would be handy against Vampires, but I don't think much harm can be done otherwise.

Unfortunately it's too long for our luggage, and we are afraid of checking it in because we don't know if it will arrive intact.

What do you think, will the TSA in Miami have a problem with it?

Thank you for your help and greeting from the sunshine state
Wombelero
Old Nov 16, 07, 8:23 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Wombelero View Post
Please allow me to hijack this tread, but I have a similar question. I bought a wooden pole, approx 1m long. On the pole is an indicator to the beach and to the BBQ. We liked it so we bought it for our home, it looks nice&fun.
The bottom of the pole is a little bit sharpened so it can be easely rammed into ground. Maybe it would be handy against Vampires, but I don't think much harm can be done otherwise.

Unfortunately it's too long for our luggage, and we are afraid of checking it in because we don't know if it will arrive intact.

What do you think, will the TSA in Miami have a problem with it?

Thank you for your help and greeting from the sunshine state
Wombelero
I'll almost guarantee that the TSA has an issue with it. They don't allow baseball bats, I saw 'em giving some folks with tennis racquets a hard time, and I saw the folks in LAX yesterday confiscating a bottle of rare Sake from a Japenese tourist who was bringing it as a gift to someone here in the states.

Were I you, I'd either ship it, or buy some bubble wrap to put around the thing before checking it.
Old Nov 16, 07, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Last year the owner of the about-to-close Rose and Raindrop pub in Portland, Ore. gave me a tap handle as a memento of the place that had been one of the best beer bars in America; on top of that, the handle had been hand-carved by a now-deceased brewer who is fondly remembered by the craft beer community both as a maker of beer and as a human being so I was extremely flattered.

But, I had traveled to Portland with carry-on luggage only. So knowing TSA at PDX would see it as an 18-inch-long club, I picked up a small totebag (under $10 bucks at a K-Mart near the airport) and filled it with dirty clothes, newspapers and the tap handle.

That's what you should do as well. TSA will almost certainly have a problem with what you've described and you should either ship it or buy a cheap bag that would allow you to put protective padding around the pole.
Old Nov 16, 07, 11:29 am

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Wombelero View Post
I feel they will invoke the No Baseball Bats rule, so no carry on.

The best way to ship such an item is to make a shipping container, should be under $10, similar to ones they sell for shipping fishing rods.

Stop by a hardware store and have them cut you a piece of 2 or 3 inch diameter PVC pipe about an inch longer than your pole, or whatever size it takes to wrap your pole in some newspaper and a couple of shirts or socks for packing and slide in tightly. Buy a couple of PVC end caps and Tape do not Glue them on, and you have a shipping container even the bag gorillas cannot break unless they really, really try. Label it and check it.

The only problem you have is that although this is about as strong and inexpensive a shipping container as there is, it does happen to have the exact construction and 98% of the components of what the eagle eyed TSA is looking for commonly known as a "pipe bomb". Your pole might be "disrupted' by the bomb squad.

Search this Thread