Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brown calls for bomb-proof Britain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Thumbs down Brown calls for bomb-proof Britain

CNN Article

"Britain is to ramp up security at air and rail terminals as part of sweeping new anti-terror measures that will see buildings bomb-proofed and citizens placed under more surveillance, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Wednesday.

Brown told parliament the measures were a response to the attempted terrorist attacks in June in which a group of al Qaeda-linked foreign-born doctors launched unsuccessful attacks in the UK.

In London a car bomb was found parked near a crowded London nightclub while in Glasgow an explosives-laden vehicle was driven into an airport terminal.

They "will require not just military and security resources, but more policing, more intelligence, and an enhanced effort to win hearts and minds," Brown said."

You certainly aren't going to win my heart, mind, or money with more stupid measures like these. I'm so glad I've seen a lot of London already and can stay away for as long as it takes to get over this idiocy.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:26 pm

53 pieces of personal information will be required for travel in and out of UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Travellers face price hikes and confusion after the Government unveiled plans to take up to 53 pieces of information from anyone entering or leaving Britain.

For every journey, security officials will want credit card details, holiday contact numbers, travel plans, email addresses, car numbers and even any previous missed flights

The information, taken when a ticket is bought, will be shared among police, customs, immigration and the security services for at least 24 hours before a journey is due to take place.

Anybody about whom the authorities are dubious can be turned away when they arrive at the airport or station with their baggage.

Those with outstanding court fines, such as a speeding penalty, could also be barred from leaving the country, even if they pose no security risk.

As is there weren't enough reasons to not visit the UK right now....this one takes the cake and insures that I will probably never have a reason to go back again. This is supposedly going to start to be implemented by 2009.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Well, the US doesn't exactly put on a welcoming face for visitors and is paying a dear price for it. This is a similar flavor of medicine. Having said that it demotes the UK even lower on the like-to-go-back list than it was already.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 14, 2007 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Bomb-proofing a country? Gordon Brown, have you been smoking some funny stuff again? Put a stop to it and get real.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Between the devalued dollar and the UK's race to the bottom with the US in regards to civil liberties, it's not hard for me to say I won't be back to the UK in a while despite it being one of my favorite destinations.

That said, if I lived outside the US, I'd probably feel the same way, though the weak dollar would be tempting.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Do you guys think they wont allow last minute tickets to be purchased now?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
Between the devalued dollar and the UK's race to the bottom with the US in regards to civil liberties, it's not hard for me to say I won't be back to the UK in a while despite it being one of my favorite destinations.

That said, if I lived outside the US, I'd probably feel the same way, though the weak dollar would be tempting.
The UK likely will hit the bottom well before the U.S. Parliament is supreme; they have no checks and balances.

On the other hand, they can also throw all bums out much more effectively.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:54 pm
Suspended

And the EU is in on this kind of action too or at least trying its hardest to get there as well.

Guess where DHS employees are out and about providing "advice".

I wonder how long it will be until going to/from/via Ireland will no longer be a loophole.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

My dollar might not go very far against the quid, but it's not going to even make the effort with these ridiculous policies.

A citizen has to seek permission to leave the UK? Sounds like a bunch of filthy Communists are running the show there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like he's more interested in liberty-proofing it than bomb proofing the UK. Too bad our world has been fully discovered - there are no more virgin lands for unhappy Britons to colonize in order to escape an out of control loony-tune leader.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:00 pm
Suspended

The UK seems to be borrowing from the Commies.

I already try to avoid the UK airports as much as I can, this will be yet another reason in a growing list of reasons not to spend more time and money there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
More reasons to keep the UK off my visit list. Keep 'em coming.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:27 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
They "will require not just military and security resources, but more policing, more intelligence, and an enhanced effort to win hearts and minds," Brown said."
No more fertilizer for our farmers.

How does winning "hearts and minds" bomb-proof a country? It might reduce the likelihood of a bombing, but it does nothing to physically secure anything.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:28 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I believe my Feb 08 trip to London to visit my sister will be my last trip to the UK.

She wants to see family, she can deal with their policies.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfp
No more fertilizer for our farmers.

How does winning "hearts and minds" bomb-proof a country? It might reduce the likelihood of a bombing, but it does nothing to physically secure anything.
From what I saw in V for Vendetta, it seems to increase the odds of a bombing or two...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.