FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   DTW initial security checker now TSA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/756716-dtw-initial-security-checker-now-tsa.html)

sbagdon Nov 13, 2007 10:25 am

DTW initial security checker now TSA?

Just noticed this this morning at DTW, maybe I just haven't been observant... at lower security, the first security checker (the one that checks itin vs. id) was TSA, and not a contractor. Is this new? The only contractors I saw were pushing wheelchairs around.

BTW, my streak of unlevel tray tables is still going, this one was so bad I bothered to take a pic with my iPhone, with an open laptop for reference. Anyone know how to adjust these, so I can bring some tools, and level these myself? It's getting that bad... :)

Steve B.

mot29 Nov 13, 2007 11:29 am

I think the change at DCA happened on October 18. But the contract people who used to check ids still have jobs (at least the woman with the long black hair at terminal 1 in DCA still does). Now instead of checking ids she marshalls the line. And the lines have been reconfigured so that 2 xray machines now lead into one magnetometer. At terminal 1 it means there can be 4 lines for peak periods and seem to assure a greater likelihood of a 1st class/elite line. I guess it also means more jobs for TSA because it seems like there are two of them checking ids and one watching them check ids. Part of the new behavioral screening?

mikey1003 Nov 13, 2007 11:52 am

This seems to be happening almost everywhere. DAY switched several months ago. TSA is taking over initial screening.

kjh Nov 13, 2007 1:02 pm

I think this might be part of the TSA's new "visual profiling" deal ... where they look for nervious behavior etc. (there have been a number of news articles about this recently). Usually there is the "ID checker" and then off to the side is the "observer".

oliver2002 Nov 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kjh (Post 8723719)
I think this might be part of the TSA's new "visual profiling" deal ... where they look for nervious behavior etc. (there have been a number of news articles about this recently). Usually there is the "ID checker" and then off to the side is the "observer".

This probably belongs into the TS/S forum, but the new screening is just one big job machine... employ 2-3 people for maximum wage more instead of one minimum wage. The questions they ask are simply silly... ('so where are we going today', for example)

slippahs Nov 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 8723826)
This probably belongs into the TS/S forum, but the new screening is just one big job machine... employ 2-3 people for maximum wage more instead of one minimum wage. The questions they ask are simply silly... ('so where are we going today', for example)

You're right, so off it goes.

slippahs
nwa WorldPerks forum co-moderator

MrAndy1369 Nov 13, 2007 3:16 pm

OP: Did you notice longer lines, or did the whole security in general feel more slower due to the ID checkers? Any SPOTTing?

Mot29: Yes, TSA now does DCA. Do you mean there are more x-ray/magnetometer, or less than when the contracted workers were checking ID's?

Oliver2002: I don't think TSA can ask you where you're going. You have the right to refuse to answer. It's none of their business, right?

flyinbob Nov 13, 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 8722908)
Just noticed this this morning at DTW, maybe I just haven't been observant... at lower security, the first security checker (the one that checks itin vs. id) was TSA, and not a contractor. Is this new? The only contractors I saw were pushing wheelchairs around.

BTW, my streak of unlevel tray tables is still going, this one was so bad I bothered to take a pic with my iPhone, with an open laptop for reference. Anyone know how to adjust these, so I can bring some tools, and level these myself? It's getting that bad... :)

Steve B.

Northwest or Smith terminal?

mot29 Nov 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 8724565)

Mot29: Yes, TSA now does DCA. Do you mean there are more x-ray/magnetometer, or less than when the contracted workers were checking ID's?

For terminal A, from which I do most of my flying on NW -- as I recall there used to be 3 xray machines and 3 magnetometers, 1 along with a puffer. Now there are 4 xray machines and 2 magnetometers with two lines feeding into each magnetometer.
Used to be that when there was a first class, elite line open, in my experience it fed through the puffer/magnetometer combo on the right side. On Saturday, the first class, elite line was the far left and didn't feed through the puffer.

FWIW, flying out of ORD terminal 2 yesterday, it looked as if they had set up the same arrangement, two xray machines with a single magnetometer between them.

But who knows how they may mix things up.

Bart Nov 14, 2007 4:33 am

I believe that the original concept was for TSA to man the ID/BP check (or TDC) station all along. I remember being trained on TDC duties five years ago when TSA first started out. However, it probably was delayed due to manning, contracting issues (as in airlines honoring existing contracts) and other mundane matters.

tev9999 Nov 14, 2007 8:58 am

TSA was doing ID check when I went through DTW two weeks ago - McNamara terminal lower level. I felt much more secure with the stern TSA checker instead of the friendly NW personnel that used to chat. This was on a Tuesday afternoon, so no line at all. He was also thoughtful enough to circle all three of my seat assignments on the three boarding passes that were printed on my OLCI paper.

sbagdon Nov 15, 2007 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 8724565)
OP: Did you notice longer lines, or did the whole security in general feel more slower due to the ID checkers? Any SPOTTing?

Lines were longer then the last few months (predicatable and repeated flight pattern by me), yet they moved at 2x the usual speed. All TSA employees were rediculously polite, compared to previous experiences. Line moved like a Disney line... for the first time I ever remembered, I held people up filling buckets, it was moving that fast. The initial checker made a point of holding up my passport in-line with my face (wallet already stowed in laptop case), and comparing the picture to me.

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 8725128)
Northwest or Smith terminal?

Northwest terminal.

Can't complain. Lined moved efficiently, everyone was polite as ever. It was so efficient, it warranted mentioning.

Steve B.