Wiki Posts
Search

Those wild and wacky TSA reps!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:54 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Those wild and wacky TSA reps!

I fly out of the awful old Smith Terminal at DTW often. One of the few things I look forward to when departing DTW is the dude that looks like Archie Bunker that decides if you are going in the standard line or elite security line.

He squints at you with one eye, stares a few seconds to determine if you are a freak or something, checks out your ticket and literally GRUNTS and points to the line he wants you to go to.

Makes me laugh everytime. Any other TSA freaks out there?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
My flights out of DTW are usually first thing in the morning, the 6am flights, so I don't usually pay attention as they shove everyone in one line. What time is Archie there?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:52 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob
My flights out of DTW are usually first thing in the morning, the 6am flights, so I don't usually pay attention as they shove everyone in one line. What time is Archie there?
I usually depart DTW between 4-7pm.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I fly out of the awful old Smith Terminal at DTW often. One of the few things I look forward to when departing DTW is the dude that looks like Archie Bunker that decides if you are going in the standard line or elite security line.

He squints at you with one eye, stares a few seconds to determine if you are a freak or something, checks out your ticket and literally GRUNTS and points to the line he wants you to go to.
From the job description you mention, doesn't sound like a TSO.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ND Sol
From the job description you mention, doesn't sound like a TSO.
They have a TSO doing it at JFK T4 A pier, I believe. I was rushed going through yesterday morning but I am 99% sure the grunting role was played by a female TSO at ~9:30am on 10 Nov 07.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:12 am
Suspended

General rule (since I don't know how ALL airports are configured): the airlines are responsible for setting up the lines to the checkpoint. Either TSA or an airline contractor will check BPs & IDs at the entrance to the checkpoint or some other designated area. (For instance, at one of our terminals, the ID check is done just before you enter one of the screening lanes; at another terminal, the ID check is done at the entry point.)

I've seen TSA supervisors help expedite the line by reminding passengers to have their IDs and BPs ready or to inform them that there are actually two lines whenever passengers bunch up into one line, but I've never seen a TSA supervisor assign people to a certain line outside the checkpoint.

About the only passengers TSA supervisors are able to expedite to the front of the line are passengers in wheelchairs. What they're actually doing is expediting them to a lane set aside for passengers with special needs.

Still, now that TSA is assuming the TDC role at more airports, I wonder if this is going to change. I most certainly hope not. It's already contentious having to enforce the 1 plus 1 rule for carry-ons; I don't want to get mixed up in setting up the passenger lines to the checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.