SEA TV Sweeps Week Piece

Old Nov 8, 07, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SEA TV Sweeps Week Piece

There isn't a lot of damning evidence here. In this story, it's just a lot of incredulous responses from the airport employee. Plus a lot of sensationalism from the reporter.
Old Nov 8, 07, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
There isn't a lot of damning evidence here. In this story, it's just a lot of incredulous responses from the airport employee. Plus a lot of sensationalism from the reporter.
The scary part is it is not just SeaTac. I'm sure most major airports across the country have the same problem.
Old Nov 8, 07, 9:54 pm

Unhappy

Geez. If they'd just make the employees take off their shoes, empty water bottles and show their drivers licenses we'd be a lot safer.
Old Nov 9, 07, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Try saying the thread title 3 times fast.
Old Nov 9, 07, 6:09 am
Suspended

Missing the point

Airport Security Director Wendy Reiter was also not worried. "We want to feel safe when we come to work," Reiter said, "and I believe we do, I really do."
Ms. Reiter seems to be missing the point. The point is not to make the workers "feel safe" but to prevent things that go boom from being placed on aircraft - and at that they are failing miserably.
Old Nov 9, 07, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doober View Post
Ms. Reiter seems to be missing the point. The point is not to make the workers "feel safe" but to prevent things that go boom from being placed on aircraft - and at that they are failing miserably.
Completely to the contrary. The TSA's goal IS to make people feel safe.

Now, of course through all the holes and the PR model that is the TSA, that's largely what it does...make you feel safe, but doesn't actually provide the degree of safety they portray to be executing.
Old Nov 9, 07, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Completely to the contrary. The TSA's goal IS to make people feel safe.

Now, of course through all the holes and the PR model that is the TSA, that's largely what it does...make you feel safe, but doesn't actually provide the degree of safety they portray to be executing.
You misunderstand me: She is saying that the job is to make the ground workers "feel safe" - which does absolutely nothing to secure the aircraft. For the most part, those workers will not be traveling on the aircraft.

Quite bluntly, who cares whether the ground workers feel safe? I sure don't, but I want the aircraft in which I'm traveling to be safe.

It is not the TSA's job to make the workers who will never be leaving the ground feel safe - it's to secure aircraft and they don't do an even half-way decent job of that.

I totally agree that what the TSA is doing is to make pax "feel safe" while in their flying tubes.
Old Nov 9, 07, 10:38 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The TSA would not agree to an interview with KOMO, but did send a written statement which says, "TSA and the airport operator determine the level of access provided to each employee based on that employee's job requirements. Access to non-public areas obligates these employees to adhere to very specific regulations which the airport, the airlines and the TSA strictly enforce. Failure to do so results in the employee's termination."
Wow. So if an employee fails to meet his 'obligation' and places an IED on a plane, he can be fired. Good to know .

Search this Thread