FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   SEA TV Sweeps Week Piece (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/755180-sea-tv-sweeps-week-piece.html)

LessO2 Nov 8, 2007 6:46 pm

SEA TV Sweeps Week Piece

There isn't a lot of damning evidence here. In this story, it's just a lot of incredulous responses from the airport employee. Plus a lot of sensationalism from the reporter.

mmartin4600 Nov 8, 2007 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8700185)
There isn't a lot of damning evidence here. In this story, it's just a lot of incredulous responses from the airport employee. Plus a lot of sensationalism from the reporter.

The scary part is it is not just SeaTac. I'm sure most major airports across the country have the same problem.

NoClu Nov 8, 2007 8:54 pm

Geez. If they'd just make the employees take off their shoes, empty water bottles and show their drivers licenses we'd be a lot safer.

flyinbob Nov 9, 2007 12:13 am

Try saying the thread title 3 times fast. :p :D

doober Nov 9, 2007 5:09 am

Missing the point

Airport Security Director Wendy Reiter was also not worried. "We want to feel safe when we come to work," Reiter said, "and I believe we do, I really do."
Ms. Reiter seems to be missing the point. The point is not to make the workers "feel safe" but to prevent things that go boom from being placed on aircraft - and at that they are failing miserably.

LessO2 Nov 9, 2007 7:19 am

Originally Posted by doober (Post 8701793)
Ms. Reiter seems to be missing the point. The point is not to make the workers "feel safe" but to prevent things that go boom from being placed on aircraft - and at that they are failing miserably.

Completely to the contrary. The TSA's goal IS to make people feel safe.

Now, of course through all the holes and the PR model that is the TSA, that's largely what it does...make you feel safe, but doesn't actually provide the degree of safety they portray to be executing.

doober Nov 9, 2007 9:16 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8702216)
Completely to the contrary. The TSA's goal IS to make people feel safe.

Now, of course through all the holes and the PR model that is the TSA, that's largely what it does...make you feel safe, but doesn't actually provide the degree of safety they portray to be executing.

You misunderstand me: She is saying that the job is to make the ground workers "feel safe" - which does absolutely nothing to secure the aircraft. For the most part, those workers will not be traveling on the aircraft.

Quite bluntly, who cares whether the ground workers feel safe? I sure don't, but I want the aircraft in which I'm traveling to be safe.

It is not the TSA's job to make the workers who will never be leaving the ground feel safe - it's to secure aircraft and they don't do an even half-way decent job of that.

I totally agree that what the TSA is doing is to make pax "feel safe" while in their flying tubes.

Wally Bird Nov 9, 2007 9:38 am

The TSA would not agree to an interview with KOMO, but did send a written statement which says, "TSA and the airport operator determine the level of access provided to each employee based on that employee's job requirements. Access to non-public areas obligates these employees to adhere to very specific regulations which the airport, the airlines and the TSA strictly enforce. Failure to do so results in the employee's termination."
Wow. So if an employee fails to meet his 'obligation' and places an IED on a plane, he can be fired. Good to know :rolleyes: .