FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   We have met the enemy and he is us (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/754926-we-have-met-enemy-he-us.html)

fortyyearvet Nov 8, 2007 7:05 am

We have met the enemy and he is us

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308864,00.html

Xyzzy Nov 8, 2007 7:15 am

This is more a call for real elite screening lanes rather than anything else. I regularly stand behind the same people who have no clue what they are doing when being screened.

Caroline's Rub Nov 8, 2007 7:17 am

"The number one problem with air travel, according to an exhaustive survey by the polling staff at the Peoples Weekly Brief, is self absorbed, inconsiderate passengers who act as if the entire transportation system should bend to their will."

I can't disagree with him...

I have to admit one of my biggest peeves is that people feel that they need to use your seat as a hand rail while they get into their seats. It's always a pleasure trying to get comfortable in a seat not built for comfort or when you just start to nod off, and someone behind you feels that they must put a death grip on your seat in order to get into or out of theirs...

But then, I think that general politeness and manners have disappeared from our society as a whole.

Bart Nov 8, 2007 7:19 am

Now, mind you, I’m not giving TSA or the airlines a free pass. Clearly there is room for improvement, as with any organization or company. But as far as I’m concerned, if you want to understand why your trip to the airport can sometimes seem so dysfunctional, look no further than passenger malfunction. If everyone who travels, regardless of the frequency, took the short amount of time necessary to learn the current regulations, and then followed through with a sense of responsibility and consideration for fellow travelers… now that would make for a safe and pleasant journey.
Great article! Very fair.

Biggest reason why I participate in this forum: share some information and other insights to help others get through the screening process a little more smoothly.

This in no way excuses inconsistencies on the TSO side of the walk-through; however, it's a fair portrayal of the overall process. And it's not always the "Ma & Pa Kettle;" many times, it's the frequent flier.

whirledtraveler Nov 8, 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by article
They’ve drawn the grand curtain of class distinction separating the swells of First with the general rabble of the main cabin. But if I crane my neck just a bit to the right I can watch as they relax in their 50 inches of leather upholstered personal space. I do have to be careful not to look directly into the glare of the revolving disco ball as it reflects off the champagne magnums being hoisted by the cabin crew as the First Classers shout "Huzzah for us."

Excuse me. What airline, post 9/11, pulls a curtain between F and Y?

Caroline's Rub Nov 8, 2007 8:35 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler (Post 8696576)

The United flights I fly still do, as do the flights I take on Continental.

DL4EVR Nov 8, 2007 8:52 am

DL does. And from what I understand, so does every airline other than AA.

whirledtraveler Nov 8, 2007 9:10 am

Originally Posted by DL4EVR (Post 8696740)
DL does. And from what I understand, so does every airline other than AA.

Oh well, I guess you know who I fly now. :)

Taker Park Nov 8, 2007 9:12 am

Nice op piece.

The last time I flew out of LAX, there was an flight to SAL departing around the same time as my ATL flight. Two TSos were issuing instructions in Spanish and it still took a number of passengers standing in line hollering out instructions, "Su cinturon! Su reloj!" in order to keep the whole thing from breaking down.

Buster CT1K Nov 8, 2007 9:20 am

SQ, LH etc.

Occupationalhazard Nov 8, 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 8696279)
I regularly stand behind the same people who have no clue what they are doing when being screened.

There is a strange magnetism between idiots and chokepoints.

O/H

Xyzzy Nov 8, 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard (Post 8696928)
There is a strange magnetism between idiots and chokepoints.

Just like trailer parks and tornadoes!

Bart Nov 8, 2007 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Taker Park (Post 8696855)
Nice op piece.

The last time I flew out of LAX, there was an flight to SAL departing around the same time as my ATL flight. Two TSos were issuing instructions in Spanish and it still took a number of passengers standing in line hollering out instructions, "Su cinturon! Su reloj!" in order to keep the whole thing from breaking down.

This is where I take issue with my own bosses. I hate having a line monitor yelling out instructions. The way I see it, there are plenty of signs, some airports even have little videos that play out the various types of scenarios, all in the name of informing the passenger on how to process through security. I can use that TSO more productively somewhere else at the checkpoint. And I believe in individual responsibility. If you're traveling on a commercial airline, do some research! Furthermore, just about every aspect of entering the checkpoint allows a second chance. In other words, if you alarm the WTMD the first time, we give you another chance to get it right. But some folks insist on trying to see how much metal they can carry on their person. Works for the first pass; but after you alarm, why not take out everything that is metal? It's a matter of being considerate for your fellow passengers who do get it and who do know the magic formula of what works for them.

However, especially now that we're assuming ticket reading responsibilities at more airports, the line monitor position is becoming a mandatory one.

Much to my chagrin.

FWAAA Nov 8, 2007 12:18 pm

Supervisors who tolerate or order their screeners to loudly bark instructions to passengers should be caned. By passenger volunteers chosen at random from those standing in line (I'm certain there'd be plenty of volunteers).

Barking instructions loudly is just another indicator of the vast gulf between professionalism and what passes for security at the TSA.

Xyzzy Nov 8, 2007 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bart (Post 8696949)
This is where I take issue with my own bosses. I hate having a line monitor yelling out instructions.

There's a more important reason to get rid of the barkers. People ignore them. In a busy environment it is natural to ignore continual screaming. If the screamer were to instead politely ask the folks in line about laptops, liquids, and shoes, you would see a lot more compliance. They do this in parts of Europe and it works much better.