Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

why does no one point out that TSA kills people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why does no one point out that TSA kills people?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:13 am

Think of all the lives that have been saved by the TSA. They are the sole reason that not one American airline has been hi-jacked or attacked.

If it wasn't for the TSA, every air plane in America would have been destroyed by now.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
People make this argument all the time. Haven't you see "BUY AMERICAN" signs? You've never been encouraged to buy a Ford? Why do you think that is?
Ford's products have discouraged me from buying Ford.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Totoro
Fords contain many imported components, and depending on the model may not be assembled in the US at all.
Irrelevant.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:36 pm

Assume you'd love to buy american. Too bad nothing's made in America anymore. Why should I buy a ford when I'll get a subpar and unattractive product and service by buying one, and by buying a toyota or honda, I'll get an above average product and service?

Nationalism or globalization. Pick one, you can't have both. You can't invoke patriotism when you're outsourcing all manufacturing. You can't invoke your right to outsource your products to China or (insert third world country here) when you're invoking patriotism in your marketing campaign. If you do, that's deceitful, fraudulent, and in bad faith.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Cute thread.

Fact is that there are more people flying today than ever before. Passenger demands on airlines, in terms of destinations, flight times, etc. have increased not decreased. Airlines are finding that they have to adjust their way of conducting business.

The challenge airlines face has nothing to do with TSA or the way passengers are screened. It has everything to do with the airline hub concept. Flying in and out of hubs contributes to overall travel delays. This is why more and more airlines are changing their routes to direct connections: it is what the flying public demands. Nobody wants to go through Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. when a direct flight is possible.

Still, it's cute to think that people are so intimidated by someone wearing a uniform with an embroidered badge to the point that a person would cancel flight reservations and opt to drive instead. I had no idea TSOs had so much power and influence.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bart
Fact is that there are more people flying today than ever before. Passenger demands on airlines, in terms of destinations, flight times, etc. have increased not decreased. Airlines are finding that they have to adjust their way of conducting business.

The challenge airlines face has nothing to do with TSA or the way passengers are screened. It has everything to do with the airline hub concept. Flying in and out of hubs contributes to overall travel delays. This is why more and more airlines are changing their routes to direct connections: it is what the flying public demands. Nobody wants to go through Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. when a direct flight is possible.
So they say. Airline routes form scale-free networks. Scale-free networks arise naturally and they have distinct economic advantages. Arguing against them is a bit like arguing against the rain but that doesn't stop people from trying.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Assume you'd love to buy american. Too bad nothing's made in America anymore. Why should I buy a ford when I'll get a subpar and unattractive product and service by buying one, and by buying a toyota or honda, I'll get an above average product and service?
And interestingly enough, those so called foreign cars are made in the US. Think Honda claimed 5 in 7 Hondas in the US were built in Ohio. Hyundai's building a lot in Alabama and I believe Toyota has a big plant in California. Yet companies like Ford are having their stuff built in Mexico.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
Still, it's cute to think that people are so intimidated by someone wearing a uniform with an embroidered badge to the point that a person would cancel flight reservations and opt to drive instead. I had no idea TSOs had so much power and influence.
It's cute to see that some TSO's think that a uniform and a sewn on badge "give" them so much power.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Follow the logic:

1) TSA makes flying more costly in terms of time and annoyance.

2) Folks decide to drive rather than fly short-haul legs because of this annoyance and increased time element.

3) Driving is a lot more dangerous than flying.

4) More people die on the road than they would have if they had flown.

Yet, I see very few people making this argument. Why?
This was the analysis used when the FAA determined not to mandate that children under the age of two had to have their own seat. If it was mandated, then more families would drive instead of fly, which would subject the children to greater overall risk than flying as a lap child.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:00 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Or, that high employment for screeners decreases the number of people who are employed in relatively hazardous jobs like deep fry cook, ditch digger, or university medical experiment subject.

Just because there is a shortage of people to fill dangerous jobs doesn't mean that these jobs no longer exist or that they still don't need to be filled.

Indeed it may even be argued because the organisations that hire people to do these dangerous jobs have to hire people even less capable of doing them than if they had hired people who are now working for the TSA.

Therefore the danger to people now filling these dangerous jobs may well have increased because people who would normally work at them have been diverted into other roles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.