Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

FBI will have anyone you call a terrorist detained and deported at the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FBI will have anyone you call a terrorist detained and deported at the airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Angry FBI will have anyone you call a terrorist detained and deported at the airport

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071102...ArTqoWc2is0NUE

The wife didn't want him to travel since she was sick and wanted him to help care for their children, regional daily Sydsvenska Dagbladet said without disclosing the couple's names.

When the husband refused to stay home, his father-in-law wrote an email to the FBI saying the son-in-law had links to al-Qaeda in Sweden and that he was travelling to the US to meet his contacts.

He provided information on the flight number and date of arrival in the US.

The son-in-law was arrested upon landing in Florida. He was placed in handcuffs, interrogated and placed in a cell for 11 hours before being put on a flight back to Europe, the paper said.
When will the madness stop?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

So why was this plane allowed to come into the US with a "known terrorist" on board? They've diverted for less.

I can't say I necessarily fault the FBI for at least interrogating as it had specific information. However, if I were the guy I'd be kicking my father-in-law's a$$ when I got back home. I think dad should be arrested by Swedish police for filing a false report too.

Guy's probably on the no-fly list and probably permabanned from the US.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The detained man's soon to be ex-father-in-law has been charged by the Swedish authorities for aggravated libel. ^^
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
That's the real tragedy in this.. that the DHS is completely unaccountable.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
He has admitted sending the email, but said he didn't think "the authorities were so stupid that they would believe anything. But apparently they are."

He said he "couldn't help the US authorities' paranoid reaction".
What did he want to accomplish?! If he didn't think they would be stupid enough to believe him then why did he tell them anything? The FBI would only do something, and the son in law would therefore only find out, if they believed him. What a maroon!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
That's the real tragedy in this.. that the DHS is completely unaccountable.
In this situation, I don't see the DHS or US Gov't in any way responsible. I think the US Gov't should bring their full force to bear on the son-to-be-ex-wife and and her father.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:22 pm

And Chertoff and Hawley both need to be fired and permabanned from working in any government job, forever. That's not in dispute. The FBI agent who arrested the guy should be required to issue a written apology letter to the guy explaining what happened along with a settlement check for $5 million and be fired pending investigation. Oh, and then be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for false arrest, harassment and whatever else, both in civil and criminal court.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 6, 2007 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneant
In this situation, I don't see the DHS or US Gov't in any way responsible. I think the US Gov't should bring their full force to bear on the son-to-be-ex-wife and and her father.
I think GU's point is even if this is a mistake that this guy has been harmed for life thanks to no DHS accountability.

Originally Posted by The Article
He has admitted sending the email, but said he didn't think "the authorities were so stupid that they would believe anything. But apparently they are."

He said he "couldn't help the US authorities' paranoid reaction".
BS. He knew exactly what would happen and that's why he did it.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In this situation, I don't see the DHS or US Gov't in any way responsible.
Neither do I, and that's the problem. The DHS should behave responsibly and make sure that the guy is able to return to the US.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
1. The federal government made the falsely accused return to Sweden. That was the "US Gov't" being "in any way responsible" for you.

2. The "US Gov't" doesn't have jurisdiction over Sweden so for the "US Gov't" to "bring their full force to bear" doesn't mean a whole lot as Sweden is unlikely to approve extradition in such a case and prosecutors in the US are unlikely to waste their time trying to push for extradition in a case like this if the prosecutors in the US have their head on straight.

Basically it appears that any malicious person who can send an anonymous email to a relevant FBI email address can cause a foreigner a headache on entry into the US and probably get away with it as long as they send it off from a public place or otherwise use anonymizing tools.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
And Chertoff and Hawley both need to be fired and permabanned from working in any government job, forever. That's not in dispute. The FBI agent who arrested the guy should be required to issue a written apology letter to the guy explaining what happened along with a settlement check for $5 million and be fired pending investigation. Oh, and then be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for false arrest, harassment and whatever else, both in civil and criminal court.
Not really. It's that little thing called probable cause.....
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Talk about going overboard. The same people here who are condemning every gov't official and their dog would be condemning them for ignoring the e-mail, claiming that they let a possible terrorist slip right through their fingers after a specific tip. "Just further incompetence exhibited by the holes in security" they'd say.

If we're going to go after all of these folks, let's aim for the top. None of these appointees would be in place without Dubya. Let's arrest everyone who voted for him and made this possible.

Come on folks. Going berserk in either direction just makes you look silly.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we're going to go after all of these folks, let's aim for the top. None of these appointees would be in place without Dubya. Let's arrest everyone who voted for him and made this possible. .
We wouldn't have a Supreme Court, and we still need that.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's really important here is incredibly sloppy counter-intelligence/police work. This was doomed from the start, because the motivation is "the big catch" and a desire to justify one's existence (TSA and DHS). Had anyone in the US government had even the slightest desire to do this right, things would have happened like this:

1. Disgruntled father-in-law sends email to FBI. Believe me, they get hundreds of these a week.
2. FBI says, "Is this real or is it just another crackpot?"
3. FBI contacts CIA, Swedish intelligence service, Interpol, etc, and says, "Do you have anything on this guy?"
4. Nothing turns up, FBI determines the email was from a crackpot, and the victim enters the US and is a welcome guest -- how we used to do things around here.
5. FBI's investigative work is inconclusive. Somebody says, "We think we might have a bad guy. Let's put a tail on him and maybe we'll find a bigger plot here at home." (i.e.: "The Big Catch.")

That's not how it works anymore. The motivation is to show the public and Congress how good you are at detaining and harassing people. That's how you justify your existence and how you keep getting money from Congress.

I look around every day and ask myself, "What happened to all the professionals?"
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Yep. No doubt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.