Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Tourist Thrown Off Train by Goons Because He Took Photos and Doesn't Speak English

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Thrown Off Train by Goons Because He Took Photos and Doesn't Speak English

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
This may not be directly related to the topic at hand, but I think it's fitting considering what took place.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...tan/index.html
Bush said he recognized the threat Musharraf faces from extremists but said the emergency measures "undermine democracy."
Isn't this exactly what's happening here? George "Pot-Kettle-Black" Bush.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the Engineer is the pilot...the conductor is like the flight attendant. Either way, I'd still talk back if they're rudely trying to enforce a non-existent rule - or think they can confiscate my personal property. No one is taking my camera away without a warrant or arrest.
The engineer is responsible for driving the train, but the conductor is ultimately responsible for its operation. As such, the conductor is the one that makes the call in a situation like this.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by oneant
This may not be directly related to the topic at hand, but I think it's fitting considering what took place.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...tan/index.html
Isn't this exactly what's happening here? George "Pot-Kettle-Black" Bush.
It's easy to miss when you have tunnel vision.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I assumed it was true because it was on an Episcopalian website. If you can't trust religious people to know the truth, who can you trust?
Hell, I'm a practcing "Episcopalian, active in the church, and would tend to disbelieve an item such as this published at an website connected with the national church more quickly than I would disbelieve a press release from the North Korean Society for the Propagation of Nuclear Research or the newsletter of the Somali Offshore Pirates' League.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The engineer is responsible for driving the train, but the conductor is ultimately responsible for its operation. As such, the conductor is the one that makes the call in a situation like this.
He/she can make the call - but they shouldn't expect me to comply unless they have a written document on hand which explains this 'rule'. Same goes for FA when flying.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:04 pm

And of course since the tourist doesn't speak any English and likely has written the US off as a country to ever visit again, this won't come to enough attention for the "security" cheerleaders in this country to see how far off track we've gotten. Wasn't Amtrak usually advocated as an alternative to the TSA farce at the airports?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
If this story is substantiated, I'm once again ashamed as an American and hope I would have the courage to stand up to a situation like this if I had the opportunity.
+1 on all counts.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was he doing on the train in the first place if he doesn't speak English??
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Doppy
I've been on trains in many countries where I can't speak their national language.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Should I avoid the trains in Tokyo because I don't speak nihongo?

Don't think so - I can get around just fine without being fluent.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should mention that I was joking above
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I should mention that I was joking above

What were you doing joking on this message board?

Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
unbelievable. the saddest thing about it is that other passengers who were close enough to witness what went on did nothing more than ask a few indignant questions. i'm sure it's different when you're in the moment and maybe not completely sure of what is going on, but i would hope that someone would speak up on my behalf were i in that situation.
It is sad but someone coming to your defense is not going to happen, fellow humans just don't get involved in anything that doesn't directly involve them. Most of us suck
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
A top-down proposal for controlling the bullies before they become jackbooted thugs.

Write your congresscritters now, and explain that you feel the trust and openness long a hallmark of our beloved land is being eroded to nothing by petty bureaucrats who arrogate to themselves the authority to detain, interrogate, or confiscate property from, anyone they please under some impenetrable knee-jerk rubric of Home Defense. They're destroying the village in order to save it. Anyone who isn't reminded of the power grab carried out by Hitler in the wake of the Reichstag fire hasn't studied enough history.

Exhort them to enact legislation now, before it's too late, that makes it a federal crime to push people around by citing non-existent regulations contrived on the spot. Mandate that in cases such as the deplorable incident that started this thread (or almost any in the FT Security forum), the official issue a citation, in duplicate, specifying exactly which law or regulation has been broken. Make their promotion/retention contingent upon the outcome.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Hell, I'm a practcing "Episcopalian, active in the church, and would tend to disbelieve an item such as this published at an website connected with the national church more quickly than I would disbelieve a press release from the North Korean Society for the Propagation of Nuclear Research or the newsletter of the Somali Offshore Pirates' League.
Why? I'm not an Episcopalian, but I too would accept the veracity of a first person story published on such a site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.