Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Tourist Thrown Off Train by Goons Because He Took Photos and Doesn't Speak English

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Thrown Off Train by Goons Because He Took Photos and Doesn't Speak English

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MarcPHL
I am neither explicitly saying nor implicitly positing that this did not occur or occur as reported, yet I find it terribly disturbing that after searching I cannot find any other reference or account of this story. Was anyone else able to find anything?
Disturbing? Or merely curious?? Well, there might be more coming to light in a few days. Keep checking and let us know what you find, will you?

Sometimes posts in blogs or forums (such as ours) take a few days or a week to gain steam. I'm thinking, for example, of an incident that originated right here in li'l ol' TS/S:

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today << aka the origin of the "Kip Hawley Is An Idiot" Freedom Baggie

I'll post more as I think of them.

# # #

Here's a suggestion for those wanting to know more regarding the report by the OP: contact the author of the blog post.

Joel Merchant is a teacher, business consultant, and essayist. He is currently working on "The Other Side of Time; Letters to My Daughter" at a-reminiscence.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 6, 2007 at 1:09 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Here's what I don't understand:

How come we're too afraid to stand up for that person? WHAT stops us from actually questioning authority? Why are we so intimidated?

I'll admit that I'd be intimidated, too, and probably wouldn't do anything. There. I'm a sheep, but an uncomfortable sheep...I'll bet most of us are, and I want to understand what stops us from simply speaking up.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
If this story is substantiated, I'm once again ashamed as an American and hope I would have the courage to stand up to a situation like this if I had the opportunity.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:14 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I fear for the overall mental health of this country. If everyone would just take a deep breath, have one of their favorite beverages and get laid, things would be much better.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Andy1369

How come we're too afraid to stand up for that person? WHAT stops us from actually questioning authority? Why are we so intimidated?

I'll admit that I'd be intimidated, too, and probably wouldn't do anything. There. I'm a sheep, but an uncomfortable sheep...I'll bet most of us are, and I want to understand what stops us from simply speaking up.
First of all, I think those of us who take issue with this kind of thing need to stop posting here about it, letting off even a small amount of steam. Keep it bottled up. Let it build until the slightest little injustice in the name of "security" will allow you to let loose.

We might chip in to bail you out.

Seriously though, what post inevitably appears when a story like this appears aside from those waving their fists? The one that asks for more info, and holds back judgement until all the facts are in.

It's that attitude, I think, that keeps most of us from doing something at the moment it's happening. I would ask myself, "What preceded this that might have caused it? What are the other circumstances surrounding this? If I do something and put myself out there, and I going to be proven a fool when that individual ends up actually being in the wrong in some way?"
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:15 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
If this story is substantiated, I'm once again ashamed as an American and hope I would have the courage to stand up to a situation like this if I had the opportunity.
Even if it meant being kicked off the train with my new foreign-speaking friend, I sure as hell would have spoken my mind if I was involved in this scenario.

Shame on those that did not speak up.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I can't speak for the people on the train or on FT, but I would have spoken up. The train conductor is not an authority figure worth bowing to - I'd have no problem arguing with them, getting their name for future escalation, and then writing the necessary complaint letters while shielding the tourist.

I'd do the same if it was a FA as well - if we were at a point in flight where the use of electronic devices was approved. There have been a couple threads posted where crews objected to inflight photography (what a shock: both incidents occurred on UA and AA). Only AA bans photos of the cabin, but does not restrict (nor can they) photography out your window.

The one time I almost got involved in a similar dispute was at EWR. A man was standing in the walkway area in between piers of Terminal C taking photos. A few moments later, a couple goons from the PA-PD rushed over and ordered him to stop taking photos. Given their reputation for goonish behavior, as well as the date of this incident (early 2003), I decided to keep to myself, given the high probability I'd be arrested for interfering.

Yes, we do need to take a stand - but pick your battles carefully, and be prepared for consequences if you push the wrong buttons. In my case (green card holder), I can't afford to be arrested or charged with any crime until I finish naturalizing. Once that's done, I'm probably going to kick it up a notch in the fight back department.

I'd really like to see other people kick it up a notch - and I'd be much happier if the story included reports of other train passengers telling the conductor to go stuff it.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can't speak for the people on the train or on FT, but I would have spoken up. The train conductor is not an authority figure worth bowing to - I'd have no problem arguing with them, getting their name for future escalation, and then writing the necessary complaint letters while shielding the tourist.
But, isn't the conductor like the pilot, or the captain of the ship? Maritime law, you know.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by essxjay
Disturbing? Or merely curious?? Well, there might be more coming to light in a few days. Keep checking and let us know what you find, will you?
Disturbed. I, perhaps erroneously, assumed that this occurred far enough in the past that another medium could corroborate. Given the presumed veracity of the account and my aforementioned assumption when I found no such corroboration I though it disturbing that either no news outlet found it worthy of mention, or <reaching for my foil hat> was suppressed.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Disturbed. I, perhaps erroneously, assumed that this occurred far enough in the past that another medium could corroborate. Given the presumed veracity of the account and my aforementioned assumption when I found no such corroboration I though it disturbing that either no news outlet found it worthy of mention, or <reaching for my foil hat> was suppressed.
I assumed it was true because it was on an Episcopalian website. If you can't trust religious people to know the truth, who can you trust?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
But, isn't the conductor like the pilot, or the captain of the ship? Maritime law, you know.
I think the Engineer is the pilot...the conductor is like the flight attendant. Either way, I'd still talk back if they're rudely trying to enforce a non-existent rule - or think they can confiscate my personal property. No one is taking my camera away without a warrant or arrest.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
Stop being simply mad and start fighting back.

Here's a suggestion ... check out this comment (emphasis mine):
Funny how the kid in Florida got tasered and people cheered. Must be because they knew he was an ok fella.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:23 pm

Could you make me one of those hats? Where I work, it'd come in handy.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369

It's the same thing that keeps people from coming up with a snappy comeback until ten minutes after the incident.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I assumed it was true because it was on an Episcopalian website. If you can't trust religious people to know the truth, who can you trust?
You are joking aren't you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.