Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquor in 3oz carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Liquor in 3oz carry on?

Bit of a newbie here, still always amused & informed by the wit & wisdom of you veterans.

Don't mean to beat the dead horse further regarding the ambiguous TSA
regulations about liquids, however ---

Had to take last minute coach flight on CO nonstop EWR/HNL & was
contemplating bringing a few drams of single malt in 3oz travel bottles, in the
quart baggie etc. (to enjoy of course after I landed).

Have read a couple posts about unlabeled containers being dumped, others say no specific TSA prohibitions on alcohol.

I know PAX not allowed to consume unless served by FA.

Decided to just bring a bunch of $5 bills and actually service was pretty good.

Does anyone know what the real TSA policy or real world experience @ security is on:

1. Unlabeled 3oz containers
2. Alcohol in any form including minis

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow this discussion in our Travel Safety/Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Bit of a newbie here, still always amused & informed by the wit & wisdom of you veterans.

Don't mean to beat the dead horse further regarding the ambiguous TSA
regulations about liquids, however ---

Had to take last minute coach flight on CO nonstop EWR/HNL & was
contemplating bringing a few drams of single malt in 3oz travel bottles, in the
quart baggie etc. (to enjoy of course after I landed).

Have read a couple posts about unlabeled containers being dumped, others say no specific TSA prohibitions on alcohol.

I know PAX not allowed to consume unless served by FA.

Decided to just bring a bunch of $5 bills and actually service was pretty good.

Does anyone know what the real TSA policy or real world experience @ security is on:

1. Unlabeled 3oz containers
2. Alcohol in any form including minis

Thanks
put it in unlabeld 3 oz bottles. if you take in two of those you just saved yourself $30 ... if you get caught and they pour it out your out ... what ... well lets see ... a fifth of JW black is about 20 US or 1.25 a shot so you'd be out less than 8 bucks. Of course this would make you an outlaw .... but if you can live with that ...

a lot of my stuff (mouthwash, gel, etc) is in unlabeled 3 oz containers and they havent opened one of mine yet ...
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by muddy
Of course this would make you an outlaw .... but if you can live with that ...
I don't know what law would be broken. TSA certainly allows pax to carry booze on board - the duty free industry would shut them down in a NYM if they didn't.

And as long as the crew serves, the FAR is being adhered to. Or just ask for a can of [insert your favorite mixer] on the rocks and do it yourself. As long as you don't bother anyone, you probably won't be arrested by the FAA, as they have other fish to fly.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Nov 3, 2007 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Oct 24, 07, 10:33 am #15
Green Dragon

Posts: 1,272 Just curious - is there anything in the rules that prevent one from bringing sample bottles of Captain Morgan's Rum aboard, in the freedom baggie, as long as it's less than the required 100ml? Labeled, less that 3.4 oz, in the proper baggie, etc...

That is the question and now that my naive post is in the correct forum (stupid me) and I've read all the amusing & acrimonious accounts of unpredictable TSA procedure it seems like a crapshoot with the odds in the “bootlegger’s” favor.

I’m quite embarrassed I didn’t find the security forum sooner but at least now I understand the confusing cauldron a bit better.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
I don't know what law would be broken. TSA certainly allows pax to carry booze on board ....
You cant legally drink alcohol the FA doesnt serve as i understand it ... im pretty sure you wont talk one into pouring your unmarked 3 oz whiskeys ... but i could be wrong ....
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
I don't know what law would be broken. TSA certainly allows pax to carry booze on board - the duty free industry would shut them down in a NYM if they didn't.

And as long as the crew serves, the FAR is being adhered to. Or just ask for a can of [insert your favorite mixer] on the rocks and do it yourself. As long as you don't bother anyone, you probably won't be arrested by the FAA, as they have other fish to fly.
RGR that, the only difference is that duty free bottles aren't subject to a TSA screener, but I think I now know what my best options are.

Thank God my next flight is in First.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

You cant legally drink alcohol the FA doesnt serve as i understand it ... im pretty sure you wont talk one into pouring your unmarked 3 oz whiskeys ... but i could be wrong ....
You are correct, the single malt was "to be enjoyed after I landed, right?"

Nor would I ever ask a FA to pour, I mean really!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This has never, ever been done. Not by a woman wearing a navy blue jacket and skirt with her long hair pulled up in a twist and a smile on her face.

Never, ever been done.

Would I pull your leg?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
This has never, ever been done. Not by a woman wearing a navy blue jacket and skirt with her long hair pulled up in a twist and a smile on her face.

Never, ever been done.

Would I pull your leg?
This is the most astute reply yet!

TOUCHE!

PS, I'll never sit next to a woman in navy blue without wondering....
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:26 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Look into my freedom baggie for your answers
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:55 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
... well lets see ... a fifth of JW black is about 20 US ...
But the OP was asking about single malt whiskey . I don't think anyone would bother carrying JW Black in such a manner. But a decent single malt is worth the effort .
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
Look into my freedom baggie for your answers
Let Freedom Ring!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NM
But the OP was asking about single malt whiskey . I don't think anyone would bother carrying JW Black in such a manner. But a decent single malt is worth the effort .
Agreed
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1189.shtm

``Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Learn More
Wine, shown here, and other beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

With the exception of medications, any amount of liquid including alcohol greater than three ounces must be packed in your checked baggage.''

I agree it is ambiguous, likely because of the airline rules and/or federal laws that ban drinking any liquor but that owned by the airline on board. I'm sure I've been in airports where signs have explicitly allowed alcohol in the 3 oz containers.

Note that high proof alcohol isn't allowed (140 proof and higher). So if you are packing rum, be prepared to lose your Bacardi 151.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.