FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   What do you think TSA's next move will be? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/752838-what-do-you-think-tsas-next-move-will.html)

MrAndy1369 Nov 2, 2007 10:03 am

What do you think TSA's next move will be?

With TSA making "steps" in security those years - removal of shoes during going through the WTMD's, laptops must be taken out, the liquid ban, big electronics being taken out, SPOT, and now TSA checking ID's at the front of the security lines, what do you think TSA's next move will be? Predict it.

(Secure Flight doesn't count because it's already in proposal stage... think more among the lines of perhaps requiring ID's, mandatory gate checks, reducing carry-on bag priveleges, a stop to laptops altogether, or simply nothing.)

Peetah Nov 2, 2007 10:21 am

The next assinine thing they'll implement would require all passengers to be sedated after boarding so the flights will be "more secure" than ever before. :mad: Whatever the hell "more secure" means for this kabuki organization.

If anything, they'll require the same treatment of passengers for all interstate and long distance (4 hours or more) intrastate ground transportation. :td:

I also see them making all airports "dry", so no one can get drunk prior to boarding.

Because the TSA will be too busy looking for vibrators and liquids, Mohammed Islamofacist in coordination with John Christian-facist will load many planes with dangerous air cargo that will go boom because air cargo isn't screened.

bzbdewd Nov 2, 2007 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 8665579)
With TSA making "steps" in security those years - removal of shoes during going through the WTMD's, laptops must be taken out, the liquid ban, big electronics being taken out, SPOT, and now TSA checking ID's at the front of the security lines, what do you think TSA's next move will be? Predict it.

(Secure Flight doesn't count because it's already in proposal stage... think more among the lines of perhaps requiring ID's, mandatory gate checks, reducing carry-on bag priveleges, a stop to laptops altogether, or simply nothing.)

We're already seeing increased gate checks. I think that would be a nice mission creep for them to work on. Just think if you needed a bunch of blue glove snappers at EVERY departing flight.... that could beef up the ranks considerably.

p1cunnin Nov 3, 2007 12:19 pm

With TSA taking over the ID checks, I am expecting random ID checks in the sterile area -- and not simply at the gate. This doesn't mean checking employee IDs of course, because that would actually accomplish something. It will be harassment of pax to further the illusion of "security" and provide fodder for Homeland Security to require internal passports... er, "REAL ID".

I am absolutely convinced that we will see, around the end of the year (probably in line with some sort of controversy about huge security lines during the holidays) a statement from TSA that they found hundreds or thousands of fake IDs since they took over ID checks and they turned over to law enforcement suspected terrorists and other criminals due to their heightened security measures (the actual number will be classified). There will then be some sort of statement that with REAL ID, they could have found many more and kept our skies safer. yadda yadda yadda

Oh, and they need more money to hire more TSOs and reduce those lines.

CessnaJock Nov 3, 2007 12:28 pm

Like the footwear follies and liquid limits that preceded it, the next escalation will be an inappropriate response to a non-existent threat. Just think of all the things some wannabe tewwowist might pull, and rest assured TSA will be out there with a cannon to dispatch this next sparrow.

Just hope that the next attack doesn't involve a body cavity.

LessO2 Nov 3, 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by p1cunnin (Post 8670879)
Oh, and they need more money to hire more TSOs and reduce those lines.

No we don't. That's Kip Hawley's plan; to hire more screeners and increase the tenticles of the TSA through spreading out manpower with worthless moves such as ID checks.

CessnaJock Nov 3, 2007 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8670956)
That's Kip Hawley's plan

Yup.

In government, the only measure of success is how much budget and how many people you control. Results are irrelevant.

Write your congresscritter, and threaten them with unemployment if they don't completely gut and rebuild TSA. It's the only language they understand.

jennifer2456 Nov 3, 2007 1:06 pm

Someone will use what prisoners already know... One can conceal things "internally."

"Internally" concealed things won't be found by pat-down, backscatter, or other current security techniques used by the TSA.

rebadc Nov 3, 2007 1:58 pm

The next big thing will be secure boarding passes and doing away with OLCI.

p1cunnin Nov 3, 2007 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc (Post 8671225)
The next big thing will be secure boarding passes and doing away with OLCI.

Won't happen. The airlines will scream. OLCI and kiosks are a huge capital investment AND a much bigger manpower savings. They have undepreciated assets that would be rendered valueless and they would have to hire lots of people as ticket agents.

TSA is smart enough to understand that equation. Their Potemkin theatre won't mess with the airlines because the airlines can put them out of business. Don't you think every airline would be on the phone to congress if they tried that?

The airlines play these games up to the point where profitability is impacted. They aren't worried about a few pax -- pax will be back because people have to travel. But writing off millions in software and hardware and spending millions to hire ticket agents? Nope, not gonna happen.

And this all goes back to why ID checking is a farce. The 9/11 hijackers had valid IDs and valid BPs. The airline doesn't let you on the aircraft (if they properly scan the BP) with a bad BP. And honestly, the threat is not on the concourse if someone has been properly screened.

The real threats are the hundreds of vehicles driving, and thousands of people walking, around the tarmac, the hangers, and the cargo sheds (not to mention the post offices and food preparation areas). But that doesn't allow Ma and Pa Kettle the benefit of seeing their government working to protect them... :rolleyes:

PhlyingRPh Nov 3, 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by p1cunnin (Post 8670879)
I am absolutely convinced that we will see, around the end of the year (probably in line with some sort of controversy about huge security lines during the holidays) a statement from TSA that they found hundreds or thousands of fake IDs since they took over ID checks and they turned over to law enforcement suspected terrorists and other criminals

I promise you, they are not catching alternatively produced ID's. Sometimes, one of them that was maybe a WalMart cashier in a previous life will turn an ID around and look at it funny, but really they are focussed on making sure the name on the BP matches the name on the ID and then choosing a pretty colour with which to highlight the name on the ID.

Gargoyle Nov 3, 2007 2:52 pm

As we've seen of late, very strange and suspicious activities occur in airport restrooms. Also, inside a toilet stall Pax can open their rollaboards and fill them with liquids retrieved from the lavs. Therefore, the TSA should institute a checkpoint at the entrance and exit of every airport bathroom.

BearX220 Nov 3, 2007 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by p1cunnin (Post 8671289)
The real threats are the hundreds of vehicles driving, and thousands of people walking, around the tarmac, the hangers, and the cargo sheds (not to mention the post offices and food preparation areas).

TSA will do nothing about those threats because there would be no public-theater aspect to it. The next step will be wholesale deployment of those pointless and humiliating I-see-you-naked screening machines, because they get on local TV news and convince the Kettles that our government is on the case.

PhilaBurbTom Nov 3, 2007 3:24 pm

What do you think TSA's next move will be?

I am going to put my money on trains! They haven't even touched the major cities commuter lines. I saw some guy with a windbreaker that said TSA INSPECTOR on his back and two people wearing the basic TSA uniform with a K-9 transit police officer in the Market East Station at rush hour in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago. After watching them for a while on the upper concourse and down on the platform I could not figure out what they were up to at the time. My train arrived and I left. They did not seem to approach anyone while I was there and were still on the platform when I left. It seems like a fertile area for the TSA to explore.

MarcPHL Nov 3, 2007 4:27 pm

TSA's next move...

Ban passengers. It solves all of the security problems within their purview.