Old Oct 29, 07, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Welcome to America

It seems to go on and on

Per the StarTribune Minneapolis-St Paul:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1513926.html

Minnesota's Finnish guests find a rude airport welcome

When three of Finland's most popular musicians, including one described as that country's Bruce Springsteen, arrived for a recent tour in Minnesota, they expected a quick trip through airport customs....

"It was almost three hours of screaming, door-slamming and accusations, according to the report I received," said Marianne Wargelin, honorary Finnish consul for the Dakotas and most of Minnesota, which has the second largest Finnish-American population in the nation....

"From the beginning, they said I was lying, that these guys were coming here to work," said the veteran filmmaker, who said he has travelled to the United States at least 15 times without incident. "They were shouting at me, and people were going in and out of doors. They tried to put you down mentally, to humiliate you....

Two of the musicians are slated to return this year and are worried they may face other problems entering the country, in part because their passports have a big red flag. Immigration agents initially stamped "Refused Entry" on the passports, said Savolainen, and then later simply crossed that stamp out with a pen.

The Twin Cities Daily Planet:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog-en...spread-em.html

Perhaps the most damning comment on the incident was delivered by the Finn who was strip-searched. On a couple of occasions prior to 1991, he was detained by the KGB and interrogated. Compared to the ICE agents here in the Twin Cities, the KGB operatives, he says, "at least acted like human beings. Not a bunch of animals."
Old Oct 29, 07, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Embarrassing. Was there any credible reason to detain them aside from them coming from Amsterdam? I doubt it. Will anything come of the complain? I doubt that also.
Old Oct 29, 07, 4:54 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post
Embarrassing. Was there any credible reason to detain them aside from them coming from Amsterdam? I doubt it. Will anything come of the complain? I doubt that also.
They transited at AMS from Finland. I didn't notice the coffee shops or other illegal drug vendors in the transit areas the last time I passed through Schiphol. Did you?
Old Oct 29, 07, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Immigration agents initially stamped "Refused Entry" on the passports, said Savolainen, and then later simply crossed that stamp out with a pen.
Yeah, should be NO problem at all. With idiots like that "guarding" us, we're in no danger .
Old Oct 29, 07, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Perhaps enough international incidents involving our friends will bring about change. But it will have to go through diplomatic channels.
Old Oct 29, 07, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
At least there was no extraordinary rendition involved. At least not yet.
Old Oct 29, 07, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Believe it or not, CBP does respond pretty well to accusations of abuse by officers.

Though they still haven't even acknowledged my FOIA requestion from about a month ago.
Old Oct 29, 07, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or mine, come to think of it. What can I do to hurry them along?

Originally Posted by amejr999 View Post
Though they still haven't even acknowledged my FOIA requestion from about a month ago.
Old Oct 29, 07, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Um, a subpoena.

There will come a day when tourism in this country goes to hell because of all this airport stupidity.
Old Oct 29, 07, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Theoretically, sue. Practically, nothing, though calling your Congresscritter will likely help and, at minimum, piss CBP off (which is always fun).

According to http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/...ence_guide.xml
they just moved FOIA offices so that might be causing some of the delays. They do list a phone number of (202) 572-0640 so that might help.

Search this Thread