FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   I wonder if carrying a copy of the TSA rules and operating procedures would be useful (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/751032-i-wonder-if-carrying-copy-tsa-rules-operating-procedures-would-useful.html)

CessnaJock Oct 28, 2007 11:34 am

I wonder if carrying a copy of the TSA rules and operating procedures would be useful

Since we can all now load thousands of printed pages into a PED without adding one iota to the weight or bulk of our carry-on, it would be trivial to have in our pocket at all times every word of the documentation governing how the TSO are supposed to do their jobs.

The fact that in electronic form the rules would be keyword-searchable is just gravy.

Spiff Oct 28, 2007 11:35 am

Where would you get a copy? The TSA cowards who publish such things claim they are SSI.

UALOneKPlus Oct 28, 2007 11:40 am

The TSA also claims that there are new rules that are just recently introduced that you didn't know about as well.

Yup, bully TSA agents who cite their own rules because they can, for the fun of it.

This is why many hate the TSA - it doesn't play by its own rules, and it makes up arbitrary rules on the spot or by whim.

Bart Oct 28, 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CessnaJock (Post 8634222)
Since we can all now load thousands of printed pages into a PED without adding one iota to the weight or bulk of our carry-on, it would be trivial to have in our pocket at all times every word of the documentation governing how the TSO are supposed to do their jobs.

The fact that in electronic form the rules would be keyword-searchable is just gravy.

Well, whatever you download from the TSA web site is not the official TSA screening SOP. However, it is TSA public releases as they relate to policy.

I think it's a great idea. I'm a firm believer in an informed public; and I'm a strong believer in the traveler having a clear understanding of what to expect during the screening process.

CessnaJock Oct 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 8634229)
Where would you get a copy? The TSA cowards who publish such things claim they are SSI.

Holy smoke. Not only are they invisible, but also exempt from FoIA. Never knew that. Geheime Staatspolizei, anyone?

Bart Oct 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by CessnaJock (Post 8634585)
Holy smoke. Not only are they invisible, but also exempt from FoIA. Never knew that. Geheime Staatspolizei, anyone?

It is not classified information, but it's not public information neither. It is, as stated, sensitive security information, which is comparable to FOUO or "for official use only" information as well as LE-sensitive or "law enforcement sensitive" information. Nothing spookier than that.

However, the TSA web site does publish releases to the public that helps travelers prepare for the screening process and addresses a variety of situations. I think it's a great idea to download these to a PDA or other similar personal device for immediate retrieval should any questions arise. You can't necessarily hold a TSA supervisor to it since it really is not official SOP information; however, you can demonstrate that you were complying with TSA-promulgated information.

kaukau Oct 28, 2007 1:05 pm

I wonder if carrying a copy of the TSA rules would be useful?

Absolutely! For: wiping up spills; origami; wrapping fragile items; paper airplanes; steadying wobbly tables; making notes; giving/taking phone #'s; emergency napkins/T.P.; A whole plethora of helpful uses! The sky's the limit!

TheRoadie Oct 28, 2007 3:32 pm

I can see the benefit for self-education. There should be no way that a passenger-carried document would be persuasive authority to a screener that they just made up a rule. The TSA staff needs to be trained from their own sources - and a document that's been out of their own chain of custody could have been trivially edited.

sonofzeus Oct 28, 2007 4:24 pm

I simply carry a comfy pillow. Nobody at TSA expects the comfy pillow.

Spiff Oct 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie (Post 8635278)
I can see the benefit for self-education. There should be no way that a passenger-carried document would be persuasive authority to a screener that they just made up a rule. The TSA staff needs to be trained from their own sources - and a document that's been out of their own chain of custody could have been trivially edited.

It was trivially written and whimsically enforced. Moreover, only one side has access to the document, so it might as well be a comic book for all the good it does the passengers.

johnep1 Oct 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Does one need to know how to read in order to get a job with the TSA?

mmartin4600 Oct 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 8635494)
Does one need to know how to read in order to get a job with the TSA?

Possess the following job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities:

English Proficiency (e.g., reading, writing, speaking, listening)
Mental Abilities (e.g., visual observation and identification, mental rotation)
Interpersonal Skills (e.g., customer service, dependability)
Work Values (e.g., responsibility, honesty, integrity)
Physical Abilities(e.g. repeatedly lifting and carrying baggage weighing up to 70 lbs, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting, standing, and walking and identifying objects by touch).

Yes. Or were you trying to be sarcastic? :rolleyes:

johnep1 Oct 28, 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by mmartin4600 (Post 8635647)
Yes. Or were you trying to be sarcastic? :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic, but there's no reason to believe the language requirement is actually enforced when the work values and interpersonal skills requirements clearly are not. @:-)

breny Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Carrying documentation can be useful in the case of a reasonable screener or supervisor. In the case of a rogue "Respect mah authoritah" screener or supervisor, it's pissing in the wind. Over and over and over travelers on this forum cite instances of being told "the rules changed today" or yesterday, or whenever. Seldom is this the case. The majority of the time it's a "make up the rules as we go" screener on a power trip.

Bart Oct 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by breny (Post 8635928)
Carrying documentation can be useful in the case of a reasonable screener or supervisor. In the case of a rogue "Respect mah authoritah" screener or supervisor, it's pissing in the wind. Over and over and over travelers on this forum cite instances of being told "the rules changed today" or yesterday, or whenever. Seldom is this the case. The majority of the time it's a "make up the rules as we go" screener on a power trip.

I think the OP was referring to an electronic copy downloaded onto a PDA or other similar portable device as opposed to reams of paper tucked in a notebook.

Don't forget, the airlines can be a powerful ally should you encounter an unreasonable TSA supervisor.