Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I wonder if carrying a copy of the TSA rules and operating procedures would be useful

I wonder if carrying a copy of the TSA rules and operating procedures would be useful

Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by Bart
I think the OP was referring to an electronic copy downloaded onto a PDA or other similar portable device as opposed to reams of paper tucked in a notebook.
Yes, that would be a reasonable interpretation of "...load thousands of printed pages into a PED without adding one iota to the weight or bulk of our carry-on..."

Which brings us full circle to the "ability to read" requirement...
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:34 pm

Well, whatever you download from the TSA web site is not the official TSA screening SOP.
Funny, cause as a crew member I used to have a copy of the SOPs that affected me during my travels. I carried it through security one day so I would not be subject to secondary screening and they insisted that I didn't have the latest revision. My revision was dated the week previous and I highly doubt a new revision was issued that quickly (and of course it wasn't). Most of the screeners DO NOT follow the SOPs in place. They like to make up their own rules to fit the situation. STL is/was king of new rule per day. I can at least say, the harassment of crew members has gone down over the past couple of years but it is still there not to mention the daily harassment of normal pax.

I love the TSA screeners that try to engage me in a conversation to see if I have been drinking. I usually just greet them with a series of grunts and shrugs since I am not the most friendly person first thing in the morning.

Last edited by jwillett13; Oct 28, 2007 at 7:40 pm
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Well, whatever you download from the TSA web site is not the official TSA screening SOP.
Maybe it would make sense if it were. Whatever either a passenger or screener can download on the spot is the final arbiter of disputes, because new rules would go on the web site first as a matter of course. In fact, that's where the screeners themselves would find out about changes.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
I think the OP was referring to an electronic copy downloaded onto a PDA or other similar portable device as opposed to reams of paper tucked in a notebook.

Don't forget, the airlines can be a powerful ally should you encounter an unreasonable TSA supervisor.
I understand what the OP was referring to. What I am referring to are the screeners that continue to tell travelers "the website hasn't been updated" when physically shown what the site says on an actual computer connected to the internet at that moment.

Originally Posted by jwillett13
Funny, cause as a crew member I used to have a copy of the SOPs that affected me during my travels. I carried it through security one day so I would not be subject to secondary screening and they insisted that I didn't have the latest revision. My revision was dated the week previous and I highly doubt a new revision was issued that quickly (and of course it wasn't). Most of the screeners DO NOT follow the SOPs in place. They like to make up their own rules to fit the situation. STL is/was king of new rule per day. I can at least say, the harassment of crew members has gone down over the past couple of years but it is still there not to mention the daily harassment of normal pax.
Precisely.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by breny
I understand what the OP was referring to. What I am referring to are the screeners that continue to tell travelers "the website hasn't been updated" when physically shown what the site says on an actual computer connected to the internet at that moment
You mean screeners that lie. @:-)
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
What????? A screener lying???? NEVER!!!!!

How DARE you, you whiner!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've encountered three-stripe supervisor liars.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Comrade Kip Hawley is a disgusting little liar, so it's no surprise to see the lying permeate through the employees.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Direct evidence of the binary liquid explosive lie making air travel less safe. Most of the screeners know it is a joke, so how can they take anything else about their jobs seriously?

Every encounter with a water bottle wielding passenger denigrates the TSA in both the eyes of the passenger and the screener.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Every encounter with a water bottle wielding passenger denigrates the TSA in both the eyes of the passenger and the screener.
Well phrased, birdstrike, well phrased.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I hope I don't sound completely stupid, but what does SSI and SOP stand for? Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Andy1369
I hope I don't sound completely stupid, but what does SSI and SOP stand for? Thanks!
Sensitive Security Information

Standard Operating Procedure

Last edited by Spiff; Oct 29, 2007 at 7:13 am Reason: small correction
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spiff
Sensitive Security Information

Standard Operation Procedure
Thanks, Spiffffff! :-D
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by breny
Over and over and over travelers on this forum cite instances of being told "the rules changed today" or yesterday, or whenever. Seldom is this the case.
Seldom ? Try never.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Seldom ? Try never.
I said seldom because I hate to speak in absolutes unless I have evidence that it always happens. The instance I was thinking of was when the new electronics screening was implemented. I couldn't remember if all the details were posted on the website before the screening started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.