Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

81 yr old, arrested and frogmarched through JFK. We're all safer now

81 yr old, arrested and frogmarched through JFK. We're all safer now

Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the following illegal? http://www.beltbuckleshop.com/Mercha...tore_Code=belt
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by GUWonder
FWIW, I had a company souvenir that looked like a carabiner - meant to be used as a keychain that can be clipped to something.

Mind you, it was NOT a real carabiner, i.e. not hardened steel. It was a cheap aluminum knockoff like this with the Made in China label still on it (and no, that is not the company I work for )

It was confisticated by BNA TSA - they said it was not illegal but couldn't allow it on board because it could be used as a knuckle duster.

Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
Not an expert here, but I did say, "if the same force is being delivered"

And, recalling in a mystical haze that Pressure = Force/Area and looking at the area profile of a sock filled with coins and the area profile of the brass knuckles, I stick to my original assertion

Again, I'm no expert and if you have first hand knowledge of this, I'll defer
Who here is volunteering to be a real-live test dummy to see if one punch to the left shoulder with brass knuckles is worse than a swing of a coin sap to the right shoulder? I pass.

I've lost carabiners too, just not all of them.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Who here is volunteering to be a real-live test dummy to see if one punch to the left shoulder with brass knuckles is worse than a swing of a coin sap to the right shoulder? I pass.
I always knew you were smart

I concur
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Dummy is the correct word in this context.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
Dummy is the correct word in this context.
Test dummy, not real dummy , to register what a good swing of the coin sap can do.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Test dummy, not real dummy , to register what a good swing of the coin sap can do.
Only a real dummy would volunteer to be a test dummy in this scenario.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:52 am

I've lost carabiners too, just not all of them.
I would pass too, of course.

Given the choice, though, I'd take the coin sap to the shoulder before I'd take the brass knuckles to the shoulder.

If you really wanted to do some damage with something you wouldn't get arrested for if caught with it you could use a common screwdriver or even scissors.

To me the issue in this particular case is the irrelevancy of the persons age. Arguing to change the rule about what you can get arrested for is one thing. Arguing that the person's age should get him a pass is an entirely different argument (which I now know wasn't your argument).
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by muddy
I would pass too, of course.

Given the choice, though, I'd take the coin sap to the shoulder before I'd take the brass knuckles to the shoulder.
After a punch with the brass knuckles and after a swing of a coin-filled sap, in a repeat scenario where the target was the back of the head, you may well want to make a different choice.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
An unloaded pistol is just a paperweight, too. Or a sap. Brass knuckles: deadlier than an unloaded pistol. Roll of quarters? You can bring a roll of quarters on-board. Not an unloaded pistol. Not Brass knuckles. Knitting needles? You can bring them on-board, and they scare me worse than an unloaded pistol, a set of brass knuckles, or a roll of quarters!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaukau
An unloaded pistol is just a paperweight, too. Or a sap. Brass knuckles: deadlier than an unloaded pistol. Roll of quarters? You can bring a roll of quarters on-board. Not an unloaded pistol. Not Brass knuckles. Knitting needles? You can bring them on-board, and they scare me worse than an unloaded pistol, a set of brass knuckles, or a roll of quarters!
Sarcasm doesn't change the fact that more dangerous things -- more danerous whether recognized or not by some -- than brass knuckles are allowed by the TSA to get on board planes.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Sarcasm doesn't change the fact that more dangerous things -- more danerous whether recognized or not by some -- than brass knuckles are allowed by the TSA to get on board planes.
Who's being sarcastic? Everything stated above is fact!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Doesn't matter. Either instance- sock or brass knuckles- will be able to penetrate an aircraft door.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.