Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. issues shoe-bomb terror alert

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by straygaijin
It would have been nice for the video to say that only passengers on flights into the US are required to remove their shoes thus pointing out that every other country sees it for the stupidity it is.
I've had it in the UK and Turkey
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Doppy
Seems like information that should be passed along to security officials to me.
No dispute there but as mentioned, the motivation for releasing it to the public is umm.. questionable.

I tried to find the source, but with just "Europe" and "September" there's little chance even if it was newsworthy over there. Now I'm assuming that bus luggage is not routinely searched (Israel is not Europe, yes ?) so the putative terrorist must have drawn attention to him/herself in some other way. Big deal locally maybe, but a world-wide "terror alert" ?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
You mean the threat is imaginary?

You mean if Richard Reid hadn't been such a doofus, AA63 couldn't have disappeared over the Atlantic?

My take is that Reid's failure taught Khaled Shaikh Mohammed and his playmates how not to attack an airliner - which knowledge is almost as important as how to. Check the shoes. I can take it.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
No dispute there but as mentioned, the motivation for releasing it to the public is umm.. questionable.

I tried to find the source, but with just "Europe" and "September" there's little chance even if it was newsworthy over there. Now I'm assuming that bus luggage is not routinely searched (Israel is not Europe, yes ?) so the putative terrorist must have drawn attention to him/herself in some other way. Big deal locally maybe, but a world-wide "terror alert" ?
I also heard about this through the news in Europe and Asia soon after the smuggler -- allegedly unwitting smuggler -- was caught with them.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
You mean if Richard Reid hadn't been such a doofus, AA63 couldn't have disappeared over the Atlantic?
Highly unlikely.

My take is that Reid's failure taught Khaled Shaikh Mohammed and his playmates how not to attack an airliner - which knowledge is almost as important as how to. Check the shoes. I can take it.
Your take is wrong, at least with regard to KSM.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are they going to do -- make us take our shoes off?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
What are they going to do -- make us take our shoes off?
In more countries, that is what they want.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Highly unlikely.
Would you care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your take is wrong, at least with regard to KSM.
Would you care to elaborate?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:12 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

It's a stupid reaction to a one time threat.

What if Reid had put his sloppy bomb in his pants? Or his butt? Could you 'take it' then?

The 'Richard Reid' excuse is the most pathetic, lamest excuse that the imbeciles in TSA have ever used to justify their disgusting shoe fetishes/perversion. I think Kip and his ilk just want to save the quarters they would be otherwise spending at the peep booths.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
ONE individual; a clumsy, foolish, lunatic acting on his own, hides some explosive material in his shoe and here we are roughly 5 years later still forcibly disrobing our footwear at the checkpoint to send it through a device technically incapable of detecting whether or not the footwear is actually packed with explosives.

Truly pathetic.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
ONE individual; a clumsy, foolish, lunatic acting on his own, hides some explosive material in his shoe and here we are roughly 5 years later still forcibly disrobing our footwear at the checkpoint to send it through a device technically incapable of detecting whether or not the footwear is actually packed with explosives.

Truly pathetic.
This is what happens when you put stupid little imbeciles like Kip Hawley "in charge" of security. Truly a pathetic little coward.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Truly pathetic.
What's more pathetic than this is that these troglodytes have convinced the average American that putting footwear through the Xray is effective in detecting explosives. The sheeple are none the wiser and therefore remain mostly silent.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:43 pm

ONE individual; a clumsy, foolish, lunatic acting on his own, hides some explosive material in his shoe
I don't think he was smart enough to be working on his own. Somebody helped him out. But, I understand your frustration.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
I don't think he was smart enough to be working on his own. Somebody helped him out. But, I understand your frustration.
I'm not frustrated - I'm quite serious in my analysis of this threat as a non-event given the multitude of resources falsely presented to mitigate the risk (taking off shoes, x-raying shoes), while other legitimate risks go unnoticed.

It's my belief that terrorists are not going to quietly detonate a bomb on board an aircraft on which they're riding - there is no point to it. There is no dramatic show to be made by doing it that way. There won't be any telltale signs left in the wreckage that will absolutely point to someone's shoe, underpants, bra or hat being the bomb source.

It is far easier for them to detonate something remotely, then claim responsibility afterwards. As of this moment, loading something in cargo is easy enough, anyone could do it.

Of course we don't x-ray or inspect cargo. We x-ray shoes. Brilliant risk analysis by ol' Kip.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:39 pm

I'm not frustrated - I'm quite serious in my analysis of this threat as a non-event given the multitude of resources falsely presented to mitigate the risk (taking off shoes, x-raying shoes), while other legitimate risks go unnoticed.
Agree

It's my belief that terrorists are not going to quietly detonate a bomb on board an aircraft on which they're riding - there is no point to it. There is no dramatic show to be made by doing it that way. There won't be any telltale signs left in the wreckage that will absolutely point to someone's shoe, underpants, bra or hat being the bomb source.
The bad guys have shown they are more than ready to blow themselves up for their cause. As far as telltale signs...I'm sure there will be a line of people claiming responsibility.

loading something in cargo is easy enough, anyone could do it. Of course we don't x-ray or inspect cargo. We x-ray shoes. Brilliant risk analysis by ol' Kip.
Agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.