FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Non-crew employees cutting security line (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/750494-non-crew-employees-cutting-security-line.html)

WineIsGood Oct 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Non-crew employees cutting security line

I don't like crew employees cutting the security line, but something about the person who works at the swatch store in the airport cutting in front of me because they've just gotta sell those watches NOW especially rubs me the wrong way.

Some weeks I have to go through airport security 4-6 times, so I don't buy the "they have to go through security as part of their daily job" excuse.

Anyone know if non-crew employees are allowed to cut in the security line?

UALOneKPlus Oct 26, 2007 1:11 pm

I think they are, but I'm not sure.

J-M Oct 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineIsGood (Post 8625648)
Anyone know if non-crew employees are allowed to cut in the security line?

Non flight-crew airline employees are allowed to (in other words, airline employees who are not Pilots or FAs), but I am not sure about the airport vendors.

maclover Oct 26, 2007 2:41 pm

WOW!
what a problem you have in the US... :rolleyes:

redbeard911 Oct 26, 2007 11:14 pm

I almost strangled a vendor a few months ago.

I was gathering my things, which because of "the rules" includes suitcase, briefcase, bin with laptop phone and wallet, shoes, and another bin with my coat. On the other side of the WTMD, this moron that probably sells Domino's asks for me to hurry, and FLASHES HIS VENDOR BADGE at me. :mad: I glared at him, finished gathering my belongings, and moved on. I don't let TSA try and pull that "hurry up" act. After accidently leaving my laptop at security before leaving on a trip to China, I take extra care to make sure that I've got everything. I clear my belongings as fast as reasonable, but I'm not the one that mandates I have to split up my things into the equivalent of a swap meet booth.

pueywei Oct 27, 2007 8:13 am

You could have stopped what you were doing, and politely asked him what he needed. This might piss him off even more. :p

ColumbiaPete Oct 27, 2007 8:19 am

[QUOTE=WineIsGood;8625648]I don't like crew employees cutting the security line, but something about the person who works at the swatch store in the airport cutting in front of me because they've just gotta sell those watches NOW especially rubs me the wrong way.

QUOTE]

OK, I hear ya...but how about if they have to sell COFFEE? Or beer? I would never want THOSE employees to be stuck in a security line! ;)

Maybe we can designate a line for non-essential vendors (watches, scarves) versus a separate "priority vendor" line for those selling food and alcohol lol.

Bart Oct 27, 2007 8:30 am

The solution is simple:

Dedicate one lane strictly for crew/employee screening. Period. This means that no one other than flight crew and airport employees are screened in this one lane (or even two depending on size of airport). That way, there's no "cutting" in line because these employees are going directly to their screening lane. And the TSOs assigned to this lane will have to make sure that no passengers cut out of the passenger line to get to the employee lane just because there's no line there.

Be careful what you ask for.....you just might get it.

APW Girl Oct 27, 2007 8:32 am

I work at DCA and I also fly about 100K a year, so I am looking at both sides. Yes, we are allowed to cut lines, as some vendors do have locations pre & post security and we may only be going through to deliver something, relieve someone or whatever. We usually have nothing to scan try to never have anything that is going to slow us down getting through. However,that can't always be said of people who say they travel 'all the time'. Does it really make sense to hold us up because of ill prepared passengers (i.e. have water bottles and other things that should be in their checked bags and etc.) even though all the rules should just about be able to be recited in their sleep? I don't think its these people cutting security lines that is bothering you so much as its just the hassle of the security lines that bothers everyone.

JGR01 Oct 27, 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Bart (Post 8629597)
The solution is simple:

Dedicate one lane strictly for crew/employee screening. Period. This means that no one other than flight crew and airport employees are screened in this one lane (or even two depending on size of airport). That way, there's no "cutting" in line because these employees are going directly to their screening lane. And the TSOs assigned to this lane will have to make sure that no passengers cut out of the passenger line to get to the employee lane just because there's no line there.

My home airport (MSP) has a dedicated CREW area (whole 9 yards that looks just like regular screening tho says CREW ONLY).

Vendors apparently cannot use that line as they still cut in line at hte regular security that we pax have to go thru.

And on top of that they tend to use the PREMIUM (First Class) TSA lines!

I have had a few CREW go thru the regular lines .. in future I will 'nicely remind' them that they have their own dedicated checkin. Overnighting crews may not be aware of this .. or think their special line is toooooo long.

Bart Oct 27, 2007 8:55 am

Originally Posted by JGR01 (Post 8629623)
My home airport (MSP) has a dedicated CREW area (whole 9 yards that looks just like regular screening tho says CREW ONLY).

Vendors apparently cannot use that line as they still cut in line at hte regular security that we pax have to go thru.

And on top of that they tend to use the PREMIUM (First Class) TSA lines!

I have had a few CREW go thru the regular lines .. in future I will 'nicely remind' them that they have their own dedicated checkin. Overnighting crews may not be aware of this .. or think their special line is toooooo long.

I've been to MSP and like their set-up. The big difference is that there are several entry points into the same sterile area, which is why MSP's employee lane works so effectively.

As for vendors, I presume you're talking about non-airport employees who deliver goods to the airport.

swei0009 Oct 27, 2007 8:57 am

IMO all airport employees and any airline employee that isn't flight crew ought to just STFU and stand in line with the rest of us. No cutting. Hey, I plan my travel to work / airport / appointments to take traffic into consideration. They can plan for checkpoint delays.

Of course, at my home airport, the airline employees don't even go through security. They just go behind the counter and up the back stairs....

APW Girl Oct 27, 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Bart (Post 8629597)
The solution is simple:

The only problem with this idea is that number of times crew or employees need to go through is a lot less than regular passengers. And then you would have what would seem like a very short or no line and then everyone in the other lines would want to go over to the crew line. DCA had such dedicated lines but I haven't seen them for awhile.

Bart Oct 27, 2007 10:03 am

Originally Posted by APW Girl (Post 8629715)
The only problem with this idea is that number of times crew or employees need to go through is a lot less than regular passengers. And then you would have what would seem like a very short or no line and then everyone in the other lines would want to go over to the crew line. DCA had such dedicated lines but I haven't seen them for awhile.

That's exactly my point. ;)

I don't see this as a major issue. Technically, we have one lane dedicated for employees and flight crew. However, we also use this same lane for screening selectees, passengers in wheelchairs or with other disabilities, and passengers with small children/strollers. The whole idea is to take those passengers who will take additional time to prepare and undergo screening out of the main line so the other lanes can expedite passengers through the checkpoint. And whenever none of these passengers/employees are in line, we will take passengers from the main line in order to help expedite the entire flow.

So I fully agree with you that solely dedicating one lane for one purpose only really wouldn't work except in cases like MSP where the concourse is configured to allow such exceptions.

I was just trying to make a point: "if this is what you want, then this is a way to do it.....is this what you really want?"

Employees and flight crew cutting in line is not a big thing.

SDF_Traveler Oct 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bart (Post 8629699)
I've been to MSP and like their set-up. The big difference is that there are several entry points into the same sterile area, which is why MSP's employee lane works so effectively.

As for vendors, I presume you're talking about non-airport employees who deliver goods to the airport.

I like the setup at MSP as well. DFW is an interesting one too because the way the terminals/concourses were designed. I think concourse D may be the one exception, but I haven't entered/exited there. DTW also has a number of screening locations depending on what floor you're on, plus there is the Westin checkpoint.

FWIW, ORD has a special screening area for crew, employees, etc., but it is in a location outside of public view. IIRC, it is in the area between the G and H/K concourse.