Non-crew employees cutting security line

Old Oct 28, 07, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
Security makes me give up hours per week that I don't get paid for - don't understand how the swatch store employee is different. If the security line waits were so onerous, they could find a job at another swatch store, mcdonalds, starbucks, etc.
Maybe you should change job then
Old Oct 28, 07, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
If airside non-airline employees are granted cuts in the security line, then does it follow that they should also be given preferential treatment at the toll booth on the expressway, or at the bridge on the way to the airport?

I don't think they should get any of these.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
If you can divine this, your psychic powers are wasted at TSA.

Criss Angel and Uri Geller need you on NBC's Phenomena.
These are admissions from FlyerTalk's loudest complainers. I'm not making this up.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CessnaJock View Post
If airside non-airline employees are granted cuts in the security line, then does it follow that they should also be given preferential treatment at the toll booth on the expressway, or at the bridge on the way to the airport?

I don't think they should get any of these.
I fail to see the comparison between an airport and public toll road.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
Consider a shopping mall: employees of Starbucks, McDonalds, etc are required to park in the furthest parking spaces so that customers can park close to the mall. Some malls have separate employee parking garages. A shopping mall wouldn't stand for employees taking the closest spaces while customers have to park further away.

It's not the corporate manager's problem that employees have to wait in line - it's the employee's responsibility to get to work on time, whether there is a line they have to wait in or a parking lot to walk across.
Different analogy. By the way, at my airport at least, the employee parking lot is the one farthest away from the airport.

I did not say that corporate managers demand employees cut in line. I said that corporate managers do not concern themselves with this. However, if airports suddenly started enforcing policies across the board requiring no cutting in line by anyone, the first ones they'd have to deal with would be those corporations. To put it another way, given a choice between Starbucks pulling out of an airport and a very small minority of passengers who complain that Starbucks employees get to cut in line: guess who loses the argument?

I clearly understand how you and others don't like my answer.

But it's the truth, and you know it.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I fail to see the comparison between an airport and public toll road.
I wonder why.
  1. Both are impediments to getting from A to B
  2. Each is organized on a "first-come" principle
  3. Neither should grant privileged access

However, if airports suddenly started enforcing policies across the board requiring no cutting in line by anyone, the first ones they'd have to deal with would be those corporations.
As if a corporation would board up a profitable location because their employees had to wait in a security line? That's a good one!
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:46 pm
Suspended

I wonder why.
  1. Both are impediments to getting from A to B
  2. Each is organized on a "first-come" principle
  3. Neither should grant privileged access
Everyone at an airport is either going to board an airplane; going to drop someone who is departing; going to meet someone who is arriving or works at the airport. The same is not true of a public toll road. People are going to completely different destinations. Your analogy is invalid. Sorry.

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
As if a corporation would board up a profitable location because their employees had to wait in a security line? That's a good one!
Yes. Absolutely. If DFW or BWI were to institute a policy requiring all non-crew members to stay in line, many, if not all, businesses would simply relocate elsewhere. Conversely, very few, if any, businesses would want to rent airport floor space with this obstacle in place.

Airport management simply will not institute this sort of policy.

What you and others overlook is that this is not TSA policy. The airlines are the ones who promulgate this policy. And I don't see them changing it. Ever.

This is a nice fantasy. Hate to splash cold water on it.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are admissions from FlyerTalk's loudest complainers. I'm not making this up.
It's easy to email your congressperson:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

I suggest everyone gripe ASAP about line jumping by airport employees.
Old Oct 28, 07, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
It's easy to email your congressperson:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

I suggest everyone gripe ASAP about line jumping by airport employees.
Well, write whatever you wish to your Congresscritter.

However, I think there are other more important issues to bring to a House Representative's or Senator's attention.

But, hey, it's your nickel.
Old Oct 28, 07, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Everyone at an airport is either going to board an airplane; going to drop someone who is departing; going to meet someone who is arriving or works at the airport. The same is not true of a public toll road. People are going to completely different destinations. Your analogy is invalid. Sorry.
The "different destinations" argument is irrelevant. My analogy holds. And no amount of imperious declarations on your part will change that. Boy, am I glad I don't work for you. We're probably both glad.

Yes. Absolutely. If DFW or BWI were to institute a policy requiring all non-crew members to stay in line, many, if not all, businesses would simply relocate elsewhere. Conversely, very few, if any, businesses would want to rent airport floor space with this obstacle in place.
Now, how many businesses (with the possible exception of Ben & Jerry's) do you think give a [rhymes with whit] whether their employees' desires are fulfilled? I think it's hopelessly naïve to think they care.

Airport management simply will not institute this sort of policy.

What you and others overlook is that this is not TSA policy. The airlines are the ones who promulgate this policy. And I don't see them changing it. Ever.
I don't overlook it. I just don't think it matters - because regardless of whose policy it is (TSA, airline, or airport), you aren't in a position to do anything about it.
Old Oct 28, 07, 2:29 pm
Suspended

The "different destinations" argument is irrelevant. My analogy holds. And no amount of imperious declarations on your part will change that. Boy, am I glad I don't work for you. We're probably both glad.
OK. If in your world everyone on a toll road is going to the same destination analogous to the departure gates at an airport, then I won't spoil your fantasy. However, many toll roads have an express lane available where people pre-pay their tolls and either scan a card or use pre-paid tokens to expeditiously go through the toll lane. But you didn't think of that while clinging to your erroneous analogy.

Now, how many businesses (with the possible exception of Ben & Jerry's) do you think give a [rhymes with whit] whether their employees' desires are fulfilled? I think it's hopelessly naïve to think they care.
I never said anything about them caring. In fact, quite the opposite: they don't care. They don't care that you as a passenger have to stay in line while their employees get to cut in line. You're the one who is being hopelessly naive to think that airports will institute policies requiring non-crew employees to wait in line.

I don't overlook it. I just don't think it matters - because regardless of whose policy it is (TSA, airline, or airport), you aren't in a position to do anything about it.
I don't feel compelled to do anything about it. I screen 'em as they arrive.

However, you did stumble across something that I've raised with my bosses. Since we're assuming ticket checking responsibilities, the TSA stance is that the airlines are responsible for how passengers are placed in line; our responsibilities begin once an individual presents boarding pass & ID at the checkpoint entrance. There's a caveat to that which existed prior to our new TDC responsibilities (and I'll hold off on what that is exactly) which appears to conflict with this particular TSA stance. When I raised this to my boss, he said that it wasn't our concern. I pulled out the SOP, pointed out the entry, and politely told him, "your answer isn't good enough; will you please submit a Q & A?" (Yeah, we're still in the "getting to know each other" stage.)
Old Oct 28, 07, 2:40 pm
J-M

Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete View Post
Remind me of that next time I'm on a flight to Europe and the non-revs are sitting in Business while I'm in coach...
You paid for a coach seat. The non-revs take what's left. If you want the business seat, then buy it. The non-revs will sit in the coach seat.
Old Oct 28, 07, 3:17 pm
Suspended

OK. If in your world everyone on a toll road is going to the same destination analogous to the departure gates at an airport, then I won't spoil your fantasy.
But you still haven't explained why you think the public queuing for a service is different when it's a road or a screening line. Your tendency to throw around phrases like "if in your world" and "spoil your fantasy" doesn't validate your position in the slightest. I think you do it because you know you don't have a case.

However, many toll roads have an express lane available where people pre-pay their tolls and either scan a card or use pre-paid tokens to expeditiously go through the toll lane. But you didn't think of that while clinging to your erroneous analogy.
Many airports have express screening lines for the privileged. But the comments elsewhere concering your clairvoyance are beginning to make more and more sense. Unless you actually do know what I think of - in which case you are a miracle of nature. But my interpretation is that you're delusional.
Old Oct 28, 07, 6:14 pm

Many airports have express screening lines for the privileged. .

I was thinking the same thing. The same people that are complaining about the lowly swatch salesman getting head of the line privileges would be complaining about how the "money they spend" gives them the right to a private line.

As far as Corporate Managers not caring about time spent by employees in screening lines. Have their training and administrative costs increase substantially due to higher turn-over and watch how quickly they start to care about this issue.

Complain enough and there will be a separate security line for employees off to the side somewhere. You wont have to see the swatch salesman come to work and your wait time will increase as they take 2 of the screeners that were dealing with both the traveling public and employees and have them just deal with the occasional employee. I say 2 because it will have to be both a male and a female sitting at the hidden private line.
Old Oct 28, 07, 8:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
The solution is simple:

Dedicate one lane strictly for crew/employee screening. Period. This means that no one other than flight crew and airport employees are screened in this one lane (or even two depending on size of airport). That way, there's no "cutting" in line because these employees are going directly to their screening lane. And the TSOs assigned to this lane will have to make sure that no passengers cut out of the passenger line to get to the employee lane just because there's no line there.

Be careful what you ask for.....you just might get it.
This is what we have in CLT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: